What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Buying Used vs. New  (Read 7759 times)

FriarPuck

Buying Used vs. New
« on: November 24, 2007, 07:37:20 am »
I have always been a "value" oriented type of shopper/investor, and now that I am in the market for a HT, I can't help but think that I could save thousands by buying a slightly used HT.  There seems to be a number of HT buyers who end up selling shortly after they purchase for a variety of reasons. Any words of advice about ensuring that I do not purchase a "lemon?" Or any cautions about not buying "new?"

Hot Tub Forum

Buying Used vs. New
« on: November 24, 2007, 07:37:20 am »

Spiderman

Re: Buying Used vs. New
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 07:50:30 am »
Make sure that you actually see the tub up and running before you buy any used tub, unless it's from a friend or someone you can trust.  Some people buy a used tub from someone that tells them, "Yeah it was running fine, I just drained it for the summer and haven't refilled it, but it works just fine".   They buy it, get it home, fill it up and guess what?  No worky.   Now they wonder if they were taken for a ride or if the tub doesn't work for some other reason.  
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 10:31:20 am »
If you're buying from a private party, then seeing the spa in operation should be pretty easy- they should have it hooked up an running.  If not, I'd not chance it.  And you'll need to decide how to move the thing.  I'd not want to move a spa like mine (weighs almost 900 pounds dry) myself- a smaller one maybe.  You might have to pay a few hundred for the move, but it might be worth it.  If you find a good used one, you can probably get it for a good price.
  Have the current owner run thru the operation of the spa, ask about the way the maintained the water, etc....  

Brewman

grizz

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 11:26:16 am »
I wanted an all seater American tub (I live in Leicestershire England) we're  
getting a lot of chines tubs imported here at the moment and I didn't want  
one of those. I looked at most of what I considered the
quality American makes then I heard from a friend of a Dimension One  
Sojourn 8 months old as new being sold due to a divorce . The tub cost him  
£7,200 pounds I gave him £2,900 and smiled all the way home
regards grizz

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 01:35:56 pm »
In case you missed the point, it is an absolute MUST for you to see the spa filled, heated and in operation. Ignore any excuse as to why they can't make that happen and move on if that's not an option regardless of whether the spa is a friend's or even if it's your mother's and she says you can trust her.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 01:52:03 pm »
Buying a late model used spa could save you some money if you find the right one. Stick with a name brand spa--Hotspring, Caldera, Marquis, Sundance, Jacuzzi etc. I know people who have scored off of Craigslist.

It may take awhile to find a good used spa. You have to be patient and be ready to go when you find one. In my area, there are lots of folks combing the used spa market for profit. Good luck.....
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 05:36:44 pm »
Tell me about it... I just saw a 2005 HS Grandee on Craigslist for under 5k!  That is not bad at all!

IL Parrothead

• Owner of 2008 Marquis Epic #2
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 10:14:16 pm »
Just saw a 2 y/o J325 (garage kept) for $2800 obo.
Mike

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 01:39:13 am »
Looks like a decent deal for a one year old Sundance Optima in the Los Angeles area. Typically you could find something like this for $5,000-$6,000.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/for/488039176.html
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

mark 2550

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 12:32:06 am »
(FRIARPUCK) I lke yourself debated this same question, my wife and I shopped around and decided not to get a tub but then a couple weeks later we found a used one.
I went to look at it price was right but what a mess half the sides were off but it had a new cover, you can search and see pictures of it the brand was blue ridge, after all my simple repairs, chemicals, wiring, and putting up a partial fence my grand total is under $1200.00 and I have been enjoying it for the past 2.5 months. I wasn't able to see it filled and moved it myself but all in all I think we did just fine and we our both pleased with it's operation. It measures 81 x 91 and has 6 seats, 2 pumps 1 speed each, almost every jet can be controlled by turning it and there are 4 divertor valves.

FriarPuck

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 09:37:56 pm »
Well......I pulled the trigger!  I bought "used" tonight - a 4 yr old Sundance Altamar in excellent condition for under $2,000.  The family that sold the HT to me just bought their home earlier this year and the HT came with it. Prior to settling, they had it inspected by the local HT dealer that had installed it initially.  The dealer's favorable inspection report plus my visual inspection of the tub in operation gave me all the comfort I needed to make the purchase.  Time will tell whether it was a good decision.   The money saved in buying "used", however, is certainly significant ... at least initially.  It's puzzling to me why HT's lose their value so quickly. Thanks for all of your helpful comments on this topic.

Vanguard

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 09:49:34 pm »
Well......I pulled the trigger!  I bought "used" tonight - a 4 yr old Sundance Altamar in excellent condition for under $2,000.  The family that sold the HT to me just bought their home earlier this year and the HT came with it. Prior to settling, they had it inspected by the local HT dealer that had installed it initially.  The dealer's favorable inspection report plus my visual inspection of the tub in operation gave me all the comfort I needed to make the purchase.  Time will tell whether it was a good decision.   The money saved in buying "used", however, is certainly significant ... at least initially.  It's puzzling to me why HT's lose their value so quickly. Thanks for all of your helpful comments on this topic.

Pretty much because consumers won't buy a used one if it is close in price to a new one.  You lose your warranty (except Marquis) when you buy used, so it has to be a good price.  

Buying used can really be a good deal and it sounds like you did well.  Sundance is a great spa and you got it for a great price.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Josh

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 06:44:33 pm »
There are a few used tubs on the Craigslist in my area and I was definitely interested in the lower price (after all...my last tub came with the house, so it was used too).

I thought about it and the only way I'd buy one is if it were the exact same model as one I'm currently looking at, but at a REALLY deep discount. When thinking about the price, you have to take into account the inspection, transportation, installation and maintenance costs....which might offset a lot of those savings. The warranty is a big factor as well.

Generally, I feel like if someone is selling something almost new for a big discount, I tend to wonder why they're getting rid of it. It's tempting to save...but I'll probably go new.

mark 2550

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 06:49:42 pm »
One thing I will suggest is when you get it home give it a good cleaning, the one I purchased was 9 years old hadn't been used for the past 2 years, stored in a garage.  We gave it 2 good cleanings then ran a start up chemical rinse through it, drained and cleaned it a 3rd time so I know it is sanitary. It had a fairly new cover and the owner dug up the wiring and threw in the box and gfic all for $600.00 and told me if anything didn't work he would cover half of it, when I got it home and filled it with water it leaked. Come to find out it had a cracked manifold total cost was around $50.00 we then re-stained it, added insulation, did the wiring myself and had a buddy who is an electrician do final inspection and actual connections to box and home breaker just in case anything went wrong. So far this thing has worked like a dream reaching temp.'s of a 107 at 30 degree ambient air temp. still enjoying like a new toy each evening.  Good luck and be sure to post pictures when you get it up and running.

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 01:38:00 pm »
Well......I pulled the trigger!  I bought "used" tonight - a 4 yr old Sundance Altamar in excellent condition for under $2,000.  

Sounds like you got a great deal!  Enjoy, and be sure to post pics...we like pictures!  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 01:38:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42