What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover Clips  (Read 5274 times)

txwillie

Cover Clips
« on: September 10, 2008, 08:14:35 pm »
Is there an easy solution to the broken plastic male part of the cover clips, the part that clicks into the receptor screwed into the side of the outer cabinet? I have a Sundance, but I think these are pretty universal regardless of brand. They were identical on my former Marquis. Thing is, the clips are one piece and the canvas straps are threaded through the sewn straps, therefore not removable or replaceable. These little clips suffer UV degradation and break in short order. My dealer said the only fix is to unstitch the straps, thread on new clips and sew the straps back.  That seems plum stoopid to me. Any ideas? The only thing I can come up with is buy new clips, cut them and slip them on to the loops in the straps.

Ike seems to be headed to Austin and I think I need to secure the cover as best I can. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

txwillie

Hot Tub Forum

Cover Clips
« on: September 10, 2008, 08:14:35 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Cover Clips
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 08:40:09 pm »
Your idea is what we and our customers do.

You might want to get a set of wind straps also, with Ike coming.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

txwillie

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 09:03:58 pm »
Thank you hottubdan. What 'zactly are wind straps? is this something my dealer might have? I'm not sure I have time for web purchase and then delivery.

Probably over reacting at this point, but the latest shows C4 coming ashore C2 slightly inland and C1 or TS by Central Texas

txwillie

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 10:40:04 pm »
You don't have to un-sew the straps. You can buy new clips(your dealer should have some readily available) and then make a small cut into the back end(where the strap attaches to it) with a hacksaw. Make sure to cut it at an angle for added strength and then simply thread the strap in to it. Or you could just order these replacements at the link below that already have the cut made. The only downfall is that the cut seems rather large and is not at an angle.
http://www.easyspaparts.com/products.asp?cid=6
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 10:41:21 pm by WHY_NOT »

webboy

• hey bub
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 11:03:23 am »
Here's a picture that should help

txwillie

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 07:16:06 pm »
Thanks guys. I picked up a pack of 4 today and will get the Dremel out in a bit and get after it. Fortunately for me and Austin, Ike is taking a different path. The folks in Galveston, Houston and Beaumont aren't going to have it so easy. Keep them in your thoughts.

txwillie

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 10:47:54 am »
I've never heard of replacement clips that need to be cut. I've only seen the ones like webboy posted a picture of that you just slide the material into...  :-?

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 11:42:09 am »
All the ones we have ordered have to be cut, I have not seen the precut ones before :-?
Either way it all works out the same in the end without having to sew...I hate sewing!
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

webboy

• hey bub
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 12:17:24 pm »
I had to cut the one above. I just did this for my own tub (opened my tub without undoing the back straps, snap, crackle, pop but no rice crispies)

Here are the steps

To replace the male clip portion of the cover lock:

Cut a 6mm. notch at an angle out of the center of the clip as shown in the picture. Slide the vinyl cover strap into the notch .

The vinyl strap will cover the notched out area and will not compromise the strength of the clip.

Vanguard

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 12:18:31 pm »
Is there an easy solution to the broken plastic male part of the cover clips, the part that clicks into the receptor screwed into the side of the outer cabinet? I have a Sundance, but I think these are pretty universal regardless of brand. They were identical on my former Marquis. Thing is, the clips are one piece and the canvas straps are threaded through the sewn straps, therefore not removable or replaceable. These little clips suffer UV degradation and break in short order. My dealer said the only fix is to unstitch the straps, thread on new clips and sew the straps back.  That seems plum stoopid to me. Any ideas? The only thing I can come up with is buy new clips, cut them and slip them on to the loops in the straps.

Ike seems to be headed to Austin and I think I need to secure the cover as best I can. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

txwillie

In a large storm like a Hurricane, you might be just as well off removing your cover.  Yes, your spa might get dirty, but your cover won't get destroyed.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 02:06:57 pm »
As intimidating as it seems, cutting the thread at the seam of the fold on the clip and re-sewing it is pretty easy for a customer. You just need some heavy thread/dental floss and a large needle or Awl.

If you have a Tandy leather store in town you can get the stuff there or Hobby Lobby.

Otherwise a windstrap is an easy solution and you don't have as many clips to reclip when you get out.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 11:01:16 am »
Hopefully, these high-tech, pre-cut clips make its way to the US one day soon! ;)

Steve

webboy

• hey bub
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 01:24:38 pm »
Hopefully, these high-tech, pre-cut clips make its way to the US one day soon! ;)

Steve

If you promise to buy them (at a premium), I'll quit my day job and start cutting.  :D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 01:24:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42