What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Time for a new cover  (Read 10208 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Time for a new cover
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 02:03:08 pm »
Soo,
Lets talk covers....Maybe we can entice the good Dr. to step in if we do!

I'm not really a fan of the 6-inch cover even though certain brands sell it as something their entire team can stand on, it is unnecessary if the cover is made correctly. Six inch covers are bulky and when they get water logged they will be so heavy it will take that team standing on it to haul it off. Besides that the expense doesn't outweigh the cost unless you consistently have tons and tons of snow on your cover.

There is really strong and really strong 4 inch foam with great "R" value if you look for it (or ask).

In the mountains of Colorado we destroy covers pretty fast with our UV rays being so intense, our hail, our snow coming in large amounts and then melting the nest just to the point that it leaves a sheet of ice on top.

Buying a cover with heavier density foam, better seams, better vinyl (with UV Protection) and better interior wrap is the way to go.

More importantly, how you clean your cover, what products you use, how often you flip the foam and whether or not you use a cover lifter and floating inner cover will decide how long the cover lasts more.

One manufacture claims they "Pour" their foam so it's less likely to absorb water, this is just a claim and never verified. Most cover manufactures use a hot knife to cut the foam and thereby seal the edges but the "Inner wrapping" is what really makes a difference here.

I'm not the cover expert though...Doc is so I would welcome his comments here.

What we see the most for damage is that people never clean or treat their cover so it gets dry and brittle then we get a few hail storms a year that cracks the outer and inner wrap and causes the water to absorb. We also see a lot of chemical damage.

I guess the question lies in - if a cover is a higher quality and is a 6" to 4" taper with a double inner seal - how much more energy efficient will it be? And will it last twice as long?

I can honestly say that I am not that structured where I "take care of" my cover the way others may. I do treat it with 303 every now and then but I do not go out there monthly to clean and treat the vinyl ... life is too short! Heck, I don't even wash my cars that often - better ways to waste ones time! ;D

I am wondering about the day I get one of Doc's covers - how much more energy efficient will my tub be?  Right now my cover doesn't have the heat seal, is a 4" to 2" (?) taper and the perimeter skirting bunches up all the time. Hopefully a better quality cover will fit better and will be more energy efficient.

As far as the blanket - I believe it does help but the jury is out on which one is worth it. Doc's 1/4" blanket is 100% better than the 1/8" that I bought but is it worth the money. WOuld the bubble blanket be better that the 1/8" foam ... I guess if it significantly prolongs the life of the cover, the repeated cost of the blanket may make it worth the  money.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 02:03:08 pm »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 02:12:53 pm »

The fourth guy from the left appears to be Photoshopped in.

Term
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 10:29:54 pm »
I'm not really a fan of the 6-inch cover even though certain brands sell it as something their entire team can stand on, it is unnecessary if the cover is made correctly. Six inch covers are bulky and when they get water logged they will be so heavy it will take that team standing on it to haul it off. Besides that the expense doesn't outweigh the cost unless you consistently have tons and tons of snow on your cover.

Even though we sell them (quite well actually), I would tend to agree with this statement.  I still think our 5"x3" 2# foam models is a better overall value if you're looking for an upgraded cover.  If you are thinking 4"x2", I would still go with 2# foam.  It's stronger, insulates more and doesn't absorb as much water.

In the mountains of Colorado we destroy covers pretty fast with our UV rays being so intense, our hail, our snow coming in large amounts and then melting the nest just to the point that it leaves a sheet of ice on top.

High elevations are one of the only areas of the country where we tell people it may not be the best thing to spend a ton of money on a cover.  The UV intensity shreds the vinyl.  Spa covers are typically replaced when the cores get too heavy.  In the mountains, the vinyl is the first to go.

Buying a cover with heavier density foam, better seams, better vinyl (with UV Protection) and better interior wrap is the way to go.

Outside of some of the big cover manufacturers doing the OEM jobs for spa mfrs, most cover manufacturers buy from one of three vinyl sources.  They all feature pretty good UV protection.  Not to single out the big guys, but since they buy their fabric mill direct (usually from mainland China), I don't know what specs are in their vinyl.

The rest of what you say is spot on.  That is spa cover 101 in a nutshell.  It just comes down to budget because you get what you pay for.

More importantly, how you clean your cover, what products you use, how often you flip the foam and whether or not you use a cover lifter and floating inner cover will decide how long the cover lasts more.

Cleaning:  Mild detergent + water; Natural Chemistry BioClean; ecoOne Cover Cleaner
Moisturizing:  303 Aerospace Protectant (we've recommended this for almost 20 years); Leisure Time Cover Care; saddle soap

Flip the cores once a year

Cover lifters are great but wear the center seam.  Use Cover Saver or switch to tray-style removal system like Cover Caddy.

Floating covers can greatly increase the life of a spa cover.  They will need to be replaced every couple years though.

One manufacture claims they "Pour" their foam so it's less likely to absorb water, this is just a claim and never verified. Most cover manufactures use a hot knife to cut the foam and thereby seal the edges but the "Inner wrapping" is what really makes a difference here.

This would be Arctic.  They are great covers.  It's injection-molded and since molds are so expensive, they are basically only available for their tub sizes.  You shouldn't have to replace this cover, ever.  But if you do, be ready to write a big check.  Seriously though, has anyone ever had to replace one of these?

knightcap

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 12:22:05 pm »
comments on Cover Saver:

I have gone through several.  The sun rots them, and they break.  Although I got a new set as a warranty replacement, it broke also.  I have had at least four of them break.

The velcro that sticks on the cover is terrible -- sun melts the glue, makes a sticky mess on your cover.  Don't use it.

I think the problem is that the straps are nylon.  I went to strapworks.com and bought 50 feet of polypropylene webbing.  It is 900 lb test weight and UV resistent.  I cut two 8 foot pieces, and used the plastic parts from my Cover Saver to make my own cover saver.  I'm just using the Tee that the cover sits on.  So far, so good, but its only been a couple weeks.

I would suggest that the Cover Saver switch to polypropylene webbing from nylon.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 12:22:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42