What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot tub cover alternative  (Read 15366 times)

Familybiz

Hot tub cover alternative
« on: September 03, 2008, 01:38:34 pm »
Okay, as I am reading other posts I continue to absorb more information, so I thought I would throw something out there for opinions while covers are being discussed. I recently started to carry a fairly new product and would like some feed back on it. Please offer and pros and cons you can think of.
[glow]http://www.sterlingcovana.com[/glow]
With thanks
Kathy
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 06:08:17 pm by wmccall »

Hot Tub Forum

Hot tub cover alternative
« on: September 03, 2008, 01:38:34 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Hot tub cover alternative
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 02:12:54 pm »
wow..that is really innovative! How much would a system like that cost? I know it depends on tub size but give us an estimate say for my Marquis Epic. :)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 02:21:00 pm »
  I think its a cool idea, are people willing to pay for it?  Gotta run at least 2 or 3000?? suppose some would.

Warranty?

How would it hold up to a 60 mph wind?

Its not gonna run in a power outage,but then neither is a spa.

If it breaks when down or the up position in the middle of winter that could be a bad thing can it be operated manually??

Need more?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 02:51:46 pm »
I thought they were in the $4k - $5k range?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Familybiz

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 03:57:16 pm »
Hi Bonibelle
The Covana can accomodate different spa sizes. I carry 3 spa sizes and it fits them all from 70" to 89", the seal is quite wide allowing for size variations.
We are retailing them for $3999. in Ontario, I know of others are asking more. It is a fairly expensive item but when you consider it to be a cover, cover remover and gazebo in one is it really that bad?

Jacuzzi Jim, thats exactly what I am looking for.
I hope people are willing to pay for it!
I am my own first customer and  I certainly hope it holds up to 60mph winds because that is why I have one. We call our home the Tundra, it is so windy that I have to keep cinder blocks on all 4 corners of my cover to hold it down. Not bad during the summer but when standing in a 2 foot snow drift the last thing I want to do is dig the blocks out of the snow after a soak.
The Covana can be operated with an allen key in the event of a power outage, and should one of our customers have a winter breakdown while in the up position I would provide a loaner cover until repair is complete.
The warranty provided by the company is a 5 yr limited and 1 year complete parts and labour, it can be upgraded to 5 yr parts and labour at an additional cost.
Keep it coming ;)

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 04:11:16 pm »
Nice to see this design finally come to fruition.  The patent's been out for years.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 08:16:37 pm »
I LOVE THAT! It has no insulating value to it but the idea is fricken BRILLIANT!!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 11:10:54 pm »
The website says R25 ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

kokanee001

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 01:24:59 am »
I just visited their site and then contacted their head office in Alberta. They sell thru a "select dealer" network. The dealer in southern BC is in Invermere, so I may travel there for a look. They said that the average cost of a unit is about $4500, but some dealers may sell for less. Don't know if that's the motorized unit or not; they never said.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 10:12:38 am »
I just visited their site and then contacted their head office in Alberta. They sell thru a "select dealer" network. The dealer in southern BC is in Invermere, so I may travel there for a look. They said that the average cost of a unit is about $4500, but some dealers may sell for less. Don't know if that's the motorized unit or not; they never said.

I didn't notice that initially but they are in Calgary! A few hours south of us. Cool!
$4500 is getting up there but I'm sure it will appeal to a select few. The question is, will a "select few" be enough to sustain this product and company for any length of time?  :-/

Like the "magic cover that lasts forever" thread, I would like to see this operate in real conditions of snow and -35 for a few years first. My concern would be the key freezing up with moisture and seeing just how well that cover seals the spa to prevent heat loss in those same conditions. I wonder how many variations in sizes there are to accommodate the many spa sizes available?

Any insight into these concerns Kathy? Where are you located?

Steve
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 10:17:37 am by Steve »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 11:15:50 am »
Steve, I saw the thing at last years Aqua show. The whole top is filled with insulation. The underside is a soft padding, so it seals to the top of the spa quite well. It'll accommodate a large variety of sized spas, though it might overhang on smaller sizes (not a problem as far as sealing to the top of the spa). They seem to, or at least claim, that they've addressed any potential freezing problems. All in all, I though it was one of the better, if not best, new products appearing at the show............... I just wasn't impressed with the price  ;D, though for what it is, it's understandable.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 11:17:47 am »

I didn't notice that initially but they are in Calgary! A few hours south of us. Cool!
$4500 is getting up there but I'm sure it will appeal to a select few. The question is, will a "select few" be enough to sustain this product and company for any length of time?  :-/

Steve

I'm thinking it looks fine in a showroom but in the end the only one you sell is the showroom model that you very deeply discount later on to get back some floor space.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Familybiz

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 11:27:46 am »
Hi Steve
I certainly hope it has some insulating factor, R25, well - we will see.
The gentleman I have been dealing with at Sterling has had one in his back yard for, 1 believe he said 2 years. I also am concerned about the key freezing and will test it first hand this winter. We are located in southeastern Ontario, lots of snow last winter!
My understanding is that there is only one size of Covana, the design is a one size fits all approach. I understand that it will not accomodate every spa on the market but will cover a good percentage.
Kokanee001
The motorized unit is included in that cost.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 11:27:46 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42