What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: cedar skirt question??  (Read 7078 times)

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
cedar skirt question??
« on: August 24, 2008, 01:19:48 pm »
Ok now that my baby is fixed for one and the new cover coming soon, (thanks again Tom), I have to restain my tub.  I am going to take the doors off and restain everything, however, how much sanding is required before sealing it again.  I dont want to sand it to much and possibly ruin it, or do I just wash it down and restain.

I am going to take the bar off the side so I can ensure that everything is stained properly.  

Hot Tub Forum

cedar skirt question??
« on: August 24, 2008, 01:19:48 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: cedar skirt question??
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 01:33:32 pm »
When people redo decks they just reapply from what I understand. I would think that this is the same for the skirting.

I would imagine having to resand everything would just complicate matters as you probably couldn't get to every area - tub and deck alike. The best answer might be from a paint store that sells this stuff. Please don't go to Home Depot or the like - you'll get someone like me  :D giving you an answer. I don't know who's in your neck of the woods but buy a quality product (sound familiar!!! ;D ).

Come to think of it you said staining so there is no sealing involved ... I would definately think that sanding is not required
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 01:35:22 pm by Vinny »

Pathfinder

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 03:15:23 pm »
A light sanding will be fine Id use a compressor to blow off the left over residue then wipe down with a damp rag before staining. Using a damp rag will catch any left over dust and it will also open up the pores in the wood so the new stain can penetrate properly.  Sikkens is usually the best for Cedar.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 07:00:34 pm »
I just found a product at Home Depot that I really like...It's called Flood UV and works really well.

Be really concerned with any horizontal surfaces....Like around the doors and the wood rails. This is where water, dirt and even bacteria can set so you need to clean that up well and make sure it has a good stain.

Cdn HockeyPuck

• '08 Artesian Platinum Cypress Point'
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 07:30:44 am »
I would only do a light sanding. Don't use a pressure washer. Wipe it clean. Remember, staining is different than painting. I have learned to try to put a light coat on and wipe off or work it into the wood with a rag or something so only a light coat is done, otherwise you will get chipping. Also putting on more than one coat would be a problem as well.

Like what was previously said. Don't get a cheap stain, get something that has quality.
Dave

"The needs of many great soaks out way the needs of a few... or the one."

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 11:14:12 am »
We have had real good luck with Penofin stain, looks good and lasts, comes in several colors.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 11:16:11 am »
Oh man, My tub looks so good right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks nicer than the day that I got it.  I used the stain that you buy right at arctic spa, I have had it for over 2 years and it is still good.  

So the main side of the tub where you get in and out of, I sanded lightly just to clean it up and restained.  The rest was a light light sanding then washed and dried.  then just added the stain.  The one side where all the water sits needed a good sanding.

Man it looks so good, if only I could get the tub to run!!!!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 04:09:35 pm »
Oh man, My tub looks so good right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks nicer than the day that I got it.  I used the stain that you buy right at arctic spa, I have had it for over 2 years and it is still good.  

So the main side of the tub where you get in and out of, I sanded lightly just to clean it up and restained.  The rest was a light light sanding then washed and dried.  then just added the stain.  The one side where all the water sits needed a good sanding.

Man it looks so good, if only I could get the tub to run!!!!

I've never had to sand my cabinet, but I believe it is redwood and not cedar.  I use a good wood cleaner to scrub it down and then use one coat of Super Deck transparent stain, which is what Sundance used when they stained spas.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 07:09:57 pm »
so tub is finished, looks great, just finished the bar attachment.  This was in pretty bad shape from where rain and snow sit on it so I sanded it with a palm sander, and just restained.  It looks good, got rid of the gry looking wood and top layer of crappy stain.

So now it is glowing with newness.

All I have left are the 2 bar stools, 2 planting boxes, and the steps.  

The steps need some work, should be a couple of hours for this weekend.  Good weekend project that requires at least a six pack of some good summer beer!!!

Ill post pics when done.  I am going to add 2 cedars to the planters boxes next week when I get back from disney world.  Should be nice for the fall and winter.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 07:09:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42