What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Storm Damage  (Read 6200 times)

IL Parrothead

• Owner of 2008 Marquis Epic #2
Storm Damage
« on: August 11, 2008, 12:44:27 am »
My 3 month old tub got totalled in a storm this past week.   :'(
10-12' tree limb came right through the cover, through the shell and drained the tub.
Luckily, insurance will cover it, but I'm going to be without a soak for a while.  My apres' golf was not the same the other day.   >:(
Here's some pics we took for the insurance company.

Mike

Hot Tub Forum

Storm Damage
« on: August 11, 2008, 12:44:27 am »

benalexe

Re: Storm Damage
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 06:20:54 am »
you sure that is covered in insurance?  Do you think they will fix or repair?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 07:53:44 am »
I think I'll share that photo with my neighbor. She was less than happy when I had a single limb cut off her tree, one that was about 10" in diameter and was hanging right over my tub.

What's the damage to the tub? In these two photos it almost looks like the cover took all the fall.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 07:57:55 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 01:34:13 pm »
OUCH!  Good Luck Parrot!!

Bill, as far as my limited knowledge of the laws go, I do understand that if a tree limb is hanging over YOUR property (despite where the actual tree is) that it is in your favor to be able to cut it.  So, your neighbor will have to just suck it up.  I realize, we don't have a hand in where Mother Nature decides a tree should grow, but sometimes it is of our own doing when landscaping, where a tree is planted.  Maybe consideration should be taken if planting a tree, is how big/tall/wide, and will you mind if someone cuts limbs??

Back to Parrot, wow, did your house sustain any damage, too??  How about neighbors??
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

Tailhooker

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 12:19:51 am »
My 3 month old tub got totalled in a storm this past week.   :'(
10-12' tree limb came right through the cover, through the shell and drained the tub.
Luckily, insurance will cover it, but I'm going to be without a soak for a while.  My apres' golf was not the same the other day.   >:(
Here's some pics we took for the insurance company.

Parrot, I hope you are soaking again soon,  maybe a 2009 model might be coming out around the corner.
Dave

IL Parrothead

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 12:30:26 am »
Benalexe -- yes, they are paying to replace the tub.  They authorized us to order a new one today.  I called our agent as soon as we ordered the tub in April to make sure it didn't need any endorsements to our policy.
Wmmcall -- when I first went outside in the dark after the storm, I thought only the cover was damaged.  5 minutes later, the inside the house monitor started beeping and displaying "DRY".  Went back outside, and sho' nuff' -- empty.  The limb that went through the cover continued down through the lounge seat -- piercing the shell -- and into the motor compartment.  Called our dealer -- they didn't even want to come out to see it.  They totalled it on the phone.
Wewanna...in IL you're exactly right.  If the tree hangs over, you can cut the overhanging part.  The ironic thing is during one of our early morning soaks about 3 weeks ago, my wife said "Sooner or later, I'd like to get that tree cut down.  It overhangs the yard/tub/house too much, and there are a lot of sections that look like they're dying off."  Boom.  Not much else damaged.  You can see in the one picture that the awning over the door took a smaller limb through it.  Small dings to our gutters and downspouts too.  The tub was the biggie.
Tailhooker -- I'm hoping to order the replacement tomorrow.
Mike

benalexe

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 06:59:36 am »
you ordering the same exact one?

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 07:22:22 am »
OH Parrot, I am so sorry. :(.Thankfully no one was hurt and the tub will be replaced.
It seems that in my yard, we continuously remove trees because they begin to show signs that they might drop branches or come down. I have 4 tagged for this fall, but none are close to the house or tub.  Hope you don't have to wait long..I know you will miss soaking. :(
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Wet in ChiTown

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 04:26:29 pm »
Bummer on the branch landing on you new spa.  When you got your spa did you have to have your spa added to your homeowners policy and is it just covered automatcally?  I was wondering if I have to call my insurance co and tell them about my spa so that its covered if something happens.

Well the only good thing is that your new spa should be safe.  What are the odds that your spa gets hit AGAIN by a tree?

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 01:39:30 pm »
Bummer that your hot tub got nailed.  I am sorry that this happened.  I too worry about trees falling into our yard on those high wind days but most are in the neighbors yard and I doubt my neighbor would be so kind as yours LOL.  I hope it isn't too long before you get a new hot tub and are not without for too much time.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 04:31:59 pm »
Now, that I think about it, maybe I shouldn't have cut my neighbors branch, I should have let her buy me a new spa.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 08:07:31 pm »
Now, that I think about it, maybe I shouldn't have cut my neighbors branch, I should have let her buy me a new spa.

I have a friend that had a tree come down in a storm. It impailed itself on the fence post and the top destroyed a neighbor's pool cover along with large branches in the pool. Both the fence and pool were the neighbor's responsibility.

His insurance company told him it was NOT his problem but the neighbor's problem. He had to wait until the neighbor had the tree cut on the other side of the fence before he could remove what was in his yard.

The moral is it still might have been your problem.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:08:17 pm by Vinny »

IL Parrothead

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 11:29:58 pm »
Yes, I'm ordering the same tub.  Although, I believe I'm going to switch dealers.  I've had it with the communication on this one.
As for the homeowners, we called our agent when the tub arrived and he said it was included without any extra premium.
I had two full trees removed from our yard.  It would take a freakin' monsoon now to get a large tree branch near our tub!   >:(
Mike

searchinginfl

• 07 Caldera Niagra
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 11:22:37 am »
Holy Moly!!! I'm so sorry to hear that! After all you went through to get that spa, it lasted what, 4 months????? Good luck getting the area cleaned and your new one quickly!
Ivie

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 12:47:52 pm »
Obviously glad you were not soaking in the tub at the time the branch came to 'visit.'

I have had a few land on tubs and mess 'em up pretty good over the years, but non that went through the shell. That's quite an impact, for sure.

I did have one where a mudslide moved the house off it's slab and the house hit the spa and sent it sliding across the yard like a carom piece.

The house was a complete loss, they couldn't even go back into to it to get belongings for a couple of months and since the windows were all knocked out there was really nothing worth going back for by that time anyway.

We took the tub out of the yard, put a new bracket for the control box, fixed the tie-downs for the cover, some minor siding damage, and it is running in their new backyard.

This happened in "La Conchita" just up the coast from us.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 12:47:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42