What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Another disconnect question  (Read 3560 times)

bswbid

Another disconnect question
« on: August 17, 2008, 11:15:28 am »
I want to place a hot tub inside a pool screened enclosure in Orange County, FL . Does the "In line of Sight", "Easily accessible" and other disconnect requirements preclude me from placing the disconnect on the outside of the screen but five feet away from the hot tub?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 11:20:11 am by bswbid »

Hot Tub Forum

Another disconnect question
« on: August 17, 2008, 11:15:28 am »

Swell-Tub

• Scott
Re: Another disconnect question
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 11:21:14 am »
The reason for the quick disconnect is that in an emergency a person or guest can see how to shut down power quickly. Like said earlier the 5 foot rule is to make sure you are not in a tub of water when you flip the switch. My quick disconnect is 9 feet from the tub in case an NBA player drops by for a soak ( i kid, i kid). It is next to my rear yard gate so if you entered the back yard via the gate you will walk right in front of it. This said however my switch is only in plain site when you sit on the right side of the tub. While on the left side it is out of line of sight, so I could post a sign that reads "EMERGENCY SHUT OFF" on the corner of the house and everyone would know where to find it. The intent is in case of emergency that your guests know how to power down. Don't know if this helped at all.

Scott  8-)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 01:11:38 pm »
ummmmmmm, my understanding of the disconnect being in plain site is so that when Mrs. Homeowner calls out a service tech, and he's working on the spa, and Mr. Homeowner comes home and notices the the disconnect is disconnected, he doesn't turn it back on and fry the tech who's working on the spa.

Commercial Spas require an Emergency Disconnect (properly labeled and within a certain distance from the spa), but they're specifically designed so that you can turn them off with wet hands and a dripping wet body... I don't think the kind of disconnect required for a residential spa you'd want to stick your wet hands in to to turn off.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 11:41:59 am »
ummmmmmm, my understanding of the disconnect being in plain site is so that when Mrs. Homeowner calls out a service tech, and he's working on the spa, and Mr. Homeowner comes home and notices the the disconnect is disconnected, he doesn't turn it back on and fry the tech who's working on the spa.

Commercial Spas require an Emergency Disconnect (properly labeled and within a certain distance from the spa), but they're specifically designed so that you can turn them off with wet hands and a dripping wet body... I don't think the kind of disconnect required for a residential spa you'd want to stick your wet hands in to to turn off.

That is the reason for the disconnect however I believe there is also a fire code  to have a disconnect so the Fire Dept can shut them down in an emergency (more specific on Hot Spring models.... I’m kidding.... sort of) ;) ;).

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 02:46:36 pm »
I've never heard of a fire code... But wouldn't that be something covered by a homes main disconnect?

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

webboy

• hey bub
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 05:42:10 pm »
Ok, my electrician installed my box right next to my spa. I had misinterpreted what I had heard to mean it had to be within 5 feet. After calling my techs, they informed me that it is [ch8220]more than 5, less than 50 and in plain sight. What does that mean? I don't know but I'm breaking the "code" and the spa police haven't showed up yet? I don't know when this will ever come in play, maybe when I sell the house? My opinion is put it where you want, it sounds like it will still be visible and accessible on your screen.

Good luck

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 03:35:34 am »

So you mean to tell me that a spa service technician is stealth and Mr. homeowner would only notice him if he were within 5 feet of him? Sounds like your service technicians are harder to find than the milkman.  ;D I kid, I kid

Scott  ::)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 10:31:18 am »
Think about it. Mr Homeowner comes home from work and pulls into the garage, closing the door behind him. Gets out of his car, sees the breaker box open and notices the breaker for the spa is off...so he flips it back on.

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 10:21:19 pm »
Think about it. Mr Homeowner comes home from work and pulls into the garage, closing the door behind him. Gets out of his car, sees the breaker box open and notices the breaker for the spa is off...so he flips it back on.
I understand that putting the only breaker in the garage would be a bad idea. But 5 - 15 feet from tub may be for multiple reasons. I asked my electrician and he said the 5 foot in plain site rule was for emergencies. If the intent was to protect the technician then why not just put a disconnect switch under the front panel of the spa that he could kill power to the tub while working on it. I'm not disagreeing with you Dr. Spa just presenting another point of view, even if mine might be wrong.

Scott  8-)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 12:57:33 pm »

These type of accidents are too common among trained maintenance techs, industrial workers, electricians, etc...

In surface mining I have seen disconnects turned on when they shouldn't be - they were never in line of sight - that would have prevented it.

IMO, a direct line of sight is the best form of prevention, because accidents do happen.  

Disclaimer:  I recommend a lockout kit be used any time working on an electrical circuit or hard-wired device.
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 12:57:33 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42