What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Arctic Update!  (Read 3194 times)

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
Arctic Update!
« on: August 18, 2008, 09:16:41 am »
Ok, so all weekend I watched the tub like a hawk.  I ran the jets for hours on end, checked off the water level with tape and checked the cabinet all weekend.  Looks like no water inside the cabinet.  So I am of the opinion that it must be rain.  

So I called arctic last night left a message saying not to send a tech until they call me, as I dont want to pay 100.00 for them to tell me that it is rain.  Im just waiting for the call, we will have to see what happens.

As for this issue, if it is rain, why all the sudden is this happening and how do i fix it.  Do I buy new cabinet doors?? or is there something else that I can do, as I am going to have to do this myself.

We are not talking a little water by the way, One day it was like 4 to 6" and the next time 2 to 3 inches of water.  Im so confused now, but im so against paying extra for service unless I truely need it.

Hot Tub Forum

Arctic Update!
« on: August 18, 2008, 09:16:41 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Arctic Update!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 09:43:55 am »
If you got water in the cabinet, it sounds like they aren't sealed properly. I can't say it's the spa or if somehow they were put on wrong ... did you go in there for any reason? I would double check all the panels.

Is it possible that the water came from the ground up? I know my basement has a sump pump that works full time in the wetest season to keep the basement dry, the water is coming from below.

I would also venture to say not to buy new cabinet doors. If the problem does persist I would get a drill bit about 1/8" and put a few (many) holes in the base to give it drainage - obviously the water has no where to go. I once had a leak in a rear lense of a car and a mechanic told me to do that - it worked great.

Hopefully it was just a fluke and it'll drive you mad on why it happened!

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 10:33:24 am »
yeah vinny im not sure what is going on man, cant be coming from bottom, it is completely sealed now.  As for the holes, that may be a good idea actually.  I have never taken the covers off since I have had the tub.  After looking at the cabinet doors, I have noticed that they may have at one time had a seal around them however, it looks like it has dried out and flaked off.

I am thinking about buying some whether stripping and maybe lining the cabinets with it.   I just cant figure this one out vinny, maybe 100.00 for peace of mind may be good.

As for calling me back, 10:30 am and still no call back.  Lets see what happens.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 11:00:21 am »
I know for our business Monday mornings have lots of calls.  There is the voice mail from the week end.  The phone is ringing off the hook.  We muddle through and reach everyone, however, I am sure we do not return all calls as fast as customers would like.

I'm thinking good thoughts for you.  Hopefully they call before showing up.  Worst case scenario would be they show up and deny ever hearing that you cancelled and they try to charge you for showing up.  I would hate to see that post! ;)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 11:27:29 am »
Just for grins, look at the bottom of your Ozone and see if there is moisture there the next time your water level is down. Sometimes when the pump isn't running or if there is a summer "time out" on the circ pump your Check valve can fail and allow water to siphon out of the mazzi line.

It doesn't hurt to pull the ozone check valve out and make sure it is working by blowing into it however...It might be fragil because the O3 can make it brittle.

You should be able to blow into it just one way and if it allows air one way for a nano-second then closes it still needs replaced. That just means it's sticking.

Another thing to look at is to see if there is white calcium deposits between either of your pump heads and the motors (or water dripping). This would mean your seal is leaking and could leak only when the pump is running.

Both of these are very likely and something every owner should do at least once a year.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 11:33:27 am »
I have chekedthe pump running and off over and over, I have containers under them and no leaking.  no calcium at all.

As for the ozone, can you explain this and how I check this out.  I remember touching the ozone and not feeling moisture, but do I need to take things apart to check the valve??

Well worst case is they show up and I bribe the guy to take a quick look ;) but he wont and will demand gas money.  

I have heard that arctic service department has now equipped every vehicle with the bumper sticker, "ass, gas, or grass, nobody rides for free"

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 11:37:24 am »
I have chekedthe pump running and off over and over, I have containers under them and no leaking.  no calcium at all.

As for the ozone, can you explain this and how I check this out.  I remember touching the ozone and not feeling moisture, but do I need to take things apart to check the valve??

Well worst case is they show up and I bribe the guy to take a quick look ;) but he wont and will demand gas money.  

I have heard that arctic service department has now equipped every vehicle with the bumper sticker, "ass, gas, or grass, nobody rides for free"
There should be an air line comming from the ozone to the plumbing. On this line there should be a small one way check valve.

I've also found specifically on the Arctic's that I've worked on a manifold under the air induction valves dripping water. It also creates a siphon and can drain the spa down some.

If you look in the cabinet under where you turn on the air bubbles  you will see moisture or dripping if this is the case.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 11:52:33 am »
Stuart,

That is a great hint.  Failed ozone check valve with power off.  A common, frustrating thing.  Often not warranty.  Easy fix.

Bosco,

Did you describe the initial incident as the power was off and water level was low?  I cannot recall and am too lazy to search the posts. :)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Tom

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 12:04:47 pm »
Bosco, thank you for the followup.  

I called the dealer to check that they had received your message; at your request, they have canceled your service appointment.    :-/

We are also working on the other issues but that will not be discussed in the thread.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 12:49:50 pm by Graybeard »

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 06:35:48 pm »
Ok so I canceled my appointment, because from what I can see it is not the pump, therefore, I dont have a warranty issue and it will cost me.  So I am going to take a leap here and say that it could be from the heavy rain fall.  So I asked the girl on the phone to call arctic and see if they ever had issues before with rain getting in.  This cant be the first time like this.

Now looking at the cabinet doors I noticed some old frail broken down material lined around the inside.  I believe it was some sort of perhaps weather stripping, but could be wrong.  So I asked her to check what I can do to correct a possible leak on the cabinet doors, this is only leaking in one area of the cabinet.  I believe the excess heat generated by the pumps could have warn down this possible weather strip.  Maybe just a guess, but im no Mcgyver

Tom, thanks for your support and patience, I believe that the service department would still be giving me the ring around without you jumping in.  

Im still not pleased but I am going to let it go so I dont need to see a 7 page thread go way off side again.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 06:35:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42