What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What is the best type of cover lifter  (Read 21300 times)

Vanguard

Re: What is the best type of cover lifter
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 06:37:31 pm »
Regardless of all that, if you are going to end up with a Hot Spring, it makes complete sense to go with the lifter that is designed for Hot Spring.  

If other manufacturers had lifters designed for their spas, then I'd go with that lifter.

I have had great luck with my lifter on my Hot Spring cover.  You will too.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 06:37:31 pm »

sandi

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 07:48:14 am »
I asked these questions on another spa forum yesterday (have been reading this one regularly but have never posted) and got no responses so maybe you folks will be more helpful.  We have had our spa for a year with no lifter and are now shopping online for one.  I have a few questions:

1. Should I also buy the cover saver straps to reduce stress on the hinge? Are they an unnecessary add-on or a good idea?
2. The composite skirting is only about 1/4 thick. Will that be sufficient for the brackets to screw into or should we add additional wood framing?
3. I'm also considering buying a 1/4 inch floating blanket. Has anyone tried the leash that can be bought that removes the blanket at the same time that the lifter removes the cover? Again, is this a worthwhile add-on or a waste of money?
Thanks in advance.
Sandi

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 11:39:40 am »
1. You can if you like but I think most people don't usa a cover saver. I guess it is possible it will save the cover's hinge. My cover is 3 YO and the ends of the hinge are starting to wear.

2. Is there any wood at all for the framing? (uprights and on the top) I have the plastic skirting, have a Cover Mate 3 (has gas shocks) and had to install it right near the lip of the acrylic where there was wood framing. Works great but it holds the cover high - which works for me.

3. The 1/4" foam blanket works well. The leash makes it convienient to use. I had the 1/4" one originally and it lasted 2 years. I replaced it with a 1/8" one and it certainly is not the same. Personally I would use velcro and glue on both the cover side and blanket side for the leash. (should be self explanitory when you get the leash)

Hope this helps!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 01:31:47 pm »
Been watching this tread seeing where it;s going....figured I throw in my opinion  :)

There really isn't a "best" cover lifter. Most work quite well, though a little differently (there's a few that are cheaply built and wont last long, but even they, tend to do their job).

With EVERY coverlifter, the most difficult part of opening the cover is flipping back the first half of the cover. After that, it only gets easier.

Shocks - The lifters that use shocks generally require less room or clearance behind the spa. They also usually stand the cover straight up on the edge of the spa and act as a wall or barrier. This can be an advantage, or undesirable depending on your personal preference. One other downside is that the shocks some how lock in the open position, and occasionally break as people forgot to "unlock" them before closing. Also, it seems most of the shocks have a life of 3 to 5 years (but are replaceable).

No-shocks - These cover lifters require more room behind the spa tend to leave the cover lower than lifts with shocks. But realistically, when sitting in for spa your eye-level is only a few inches above the spa and even these block most of your view. Other than the with the Cover-Up, they tend to require slightly more effort to close, but not much.

the Coversaver - Works well and depending on the quality of your cover, it may help to extend it's life.

One issue we're seeing more of is people going longer between replacing their cover due to excessive water absorption and weight gain. Some of it is due to the economy, some due to their not realizing how much weight it's gaining, as the coverlift makes it still easy enough to open. We get a few orders for new covers, along with replacement parts for cover lifts, that have been damaged from excessively heavy covers.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Wet in ChiTown

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 04:38:48 pm »
I would think that a foam blanket sitting on top of the water would cut down on the amount of water that is absorbed into the cover.   Since the cover is on about 22 to 23 hours a day, I would think it would help a lot in making a cover last longer.  Along with cutting down on the amount of water that is  lost through evaporation.    Is that correct ??

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2008, 05:16:22 pm »
I would think that a foam blanket sitting on top of the water would cut down on the amount of water that is absorbed into the cover.   Since the cover is on about 22 to 23 hours a day, I would think it would help a lot in making a cover last longer.  Along with cutting down on the amount of water that is  lost through evaporation.    Is that correct ??

This is the belief. My belief also is that since the water's surface isn't open it cuts down on heat loss as well. But I don't think there is proof of either.

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2008, 08:48:38 pm »
This has been my reality.  I had a cover seam defect that was fixed under warranty just under 2 years.  They replaced the skin only, not the foam.

When they took everything apart, I totally checked it out--I had a few condensation water droplets in with the foam, otherwise it was nice and dry--no water logging anywhere.

I attribute this to the knowledge gleaned here before purchase.  I have used a bubble blanket since day one and I truly believe this has made the difference in the longevity of my cover.  

The seam that was defective was on the outside of my cover, facing the natural elements, not the inside faced with chemicals, etc.

2005 HS Vanguard

sandi

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 06:57:32 pm »
Thanks to all who responded to my questions about cover lift accessories and the cover lift itself.  I decided on the Covermate EZ b/c the brackets mount at the bottom of the skirting and I know we have wood framing there, and the straps mount right where the shell and the skirting meet and I know we have framing there.  I also ordered the cover saver straps  and the leash for the blanket.  
As for the blanket, we currently have the 1/8 inch thick foam type and I agree that it helps with protecting the underside of the cover and with evaporation.  What I don't like about it is how it bunches up and moves around if I turn on the jets just to add chemicals, plus it has gotten a few tears in just a year from taking it off and putting it on, which is why I'm getting the heavier one.

Familybiz

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 01:41:28 pm »
I believe I have found the best cover remover, in fact its a cover, cover remover and gazebo all in one. Check out [glow]www.sterlingcovana.com[/glow]
I just started selling these in my showroom recently.

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 01:49:00 pm »
I believe I have found the best cover remover, in fact its a cover, cover remover and gazebo all in one. Check out [glow]www.sterlingcovana.com[/glow]
I just started selling these in my showroom recently.

That's neat! Whats somthing like that cost?
It's all about da bubbles!

Familybiz

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 03:28:21 pm »
We are offing them at $3995.00 as an introductory price.
 I plan on ordering one for our home as it is very windy where I live , we call it the Tundra.
I have to weigh our cover down with cinder blocks which are a pain to remove  before a soak.
This cover will seal itself and open on its own from the comfort of my kitchen.
Gotta love it.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 03:28:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42