What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Let's talk more about winter!!  (Read 6299 times)

benalexe

Let's talk more about winter!!
« on: July 24, 2008, 06:05:46 am »
OKay in the last thread I posted you all convinced me that winter is the best time to use the spa and I should keep it open.

So I was in my spa last night with my kids and thinking about it.

A few things come to mind.    I am assuming I must pump up the heat. Right now I keep it at 96 degrees.

The kids tend to go under water and splash a lot, If they do this under water won't their heads be freezing or is your body so warm from being in the spa that you do not feel the cold.

What about water that splashes on the outside of the accrilic.  Will it freeze and do damage?

Does the spa then run all of the time when it is freezing out to prevent fozen pipes?  How does that all work out?

Do you people usually keep the temp down if you know you are not using it four several days at a time or a week at a time?

How bad does it suck to get out of the tub add chems and close it up?  Especially when it is freezing out?

Tell me more about your winter experiences?

Hot Tub Forum

Let's talk more about winter!!
« on: July 24, 2008, 06:05:46 am »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Let's talk more about winter!!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 09:54:56 am »
You will have to try it to believe us...

First, I wouldn't encourage my kids to put their heads under the water in the spa.

In the winter, the steam from the tub keeps your dry head warm, but sometimes I wear a hat. If your hair is wet, that really wouldn't be much fun...no matter how much steam, your head would get cold.  If it is really cold, your hair would freeze! If you have the tub open in the winter, it is for soaking...totally different than the mini pool that you use it for now.

You would want to keep the tub to temperaure or close..if you lost power it could freeze, so you cant chance lowering the temp too much. Also I believe it is probably less expensive to just leave it at temperature than up and down. The pipes won't freeze if the tub is on..they stay warm and the pumps will circulate the water as it filters..

When you get out of the tub, your body is warm enough that you can do all the chemical stuff before you go in the house...You don't instantly freeze when you get out. Your tub is close to your door..so it isn't a big deal. You will be amazed, but no one can tell you, you have to experience it.
Your kids will be facinated at being able to go outside in bathing suits..with snow on the ground and being warm in the tub.
Stargazing is the best in the winter..you will appreciate things about winter that you never have before. Of course you wouldn't sit in your back yard when it is 15 degrees and look at the stars (well maybe Bill would)..but in the tub it is fantastic.
My husband HATES the cold..but with the tub, he says he can actually enjoy things about the winter.

If you do decide to drain the tub, you might want to have it done professionally. I don't know how you can assure all the water is out of the lines..and that would be a nightmare if it froze and cracked something..a pump or something..Maybe they add propolyne glycol?? I don't know. It would surely depress me to look out at that beautiful tub sitting...under the snow...cold, lonely...what a waste... :( :'(
Support your dealer so they can support you!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 10:02:19 am »
Hey Ben.

Good questions.

Yup. wet hair can freeze a bit....actually it's kind of neat, as you can sculpt some interesting hair doos.  In my tub, it's not uncomfortable, as the heat rising off the tub keeps the head warm.  Typically though I frown on folks dunking thier heads as I find hair care products really screw up my water.

Water splashing out of the tub will freeze. So you will need to be careful. This is where having smaller plastic (lightweight) steps are handy. Some folks bring them in and set them in the tub and let them "defrost" . Others may wear clogs or such to help from slipping.

You have a thermal tub and you will probably will be running the pumps more often to keep the cabinet temps up. Electical usage does increase in the winter.

Yes , you will be bumping up you water temp too.  The cold air  willl take the heat out of the tub and you  will want to have the water temp up.   I keep my tub at the desried temp (102) all the time and only lower if I will not be using the tub for an extended period of time (2 weeks or more.). However, in the winter, I leave it up, as if there was a catostrophic event (electircal out for several days), I want my water temp to be up there and maybe buy me as much time as possible.

As far as chems go, I am on a dichlor routine and dose after I use the tub. What I do pre measure the diclor into an old test strip bottle and take that out with me. When I'm ready to get out, I dump the pre measured dichlor into the water, hit the "Clean" button and I'm done.  :)

hope this helps....

07 Caldera Geneva

104 degrees

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 10:04:23 am »

the more wind the less time you will be able to do this.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 12:35:01 pm »
 I would have to say your questions about Winter are starting to depress me.   :'(  Least you could do would be wait for the Fall to ask them.  ;)

Calypso

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 01:09:52 pm »
I would have to say your questions about Winter are starting to depress me.   :'(  Least you could do would be wait for the Fall to ask them.  ;)

The questions are doing the opposite to me. Bring on the winter soccer, Skiing and a long soak in the tub afterwards. I am looking forward to our first snow fall in our new tub.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 01:10:13 pm by Calypso »
2007 Pacific Calypso

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 03:19:59 pm »
I'm with you Jim. I have enjoyed this summer more than I can ever remember..and I don't really know why. And even though I love soaking in the winter, I am not ready for the cold wintery winds...blowing leaves (still haven't raked last years piles!!) and of course the HEATING OIL BILLS..so lets enjoy the summer and not rush to winter just yet  ;) :)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 03:39:21 pm »
 The Pac Northwest has seen an unusual wet/cool spring and summer,we didn't even get above 60*  till after mid/late June.

Even today its only 70 which is comfortable, but I like it a tad warmer ;)  I'm with you Fall will get here soon enough.

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 03:47:51 pm »
oh god...heating oil bills!!! And everyone is worry about the cost to heat their tub! I might be spending more time in my tub to keep warm for less money!! :o

I really enjoy my tub in the winter. As said, the stars are great, although in the summer there are many shooting stars to see. There is also nothing like the snow piling on your head while sitting in the tub and if the tub is set at 104, it is kind on releiving to have the snow on your head!

Many nights the steam turns to ice on my eyelashes and ends of hair. I have never been cold getting out of the tub, kind of take my time going back into the house..... now getting out to the tub in sub zero temps may be a challenge, specially when the cover locks get ice built up in them!...That being said, does anyone have a trick or something they put on the locks to keep them from icing up? I thought of lock de icer you use in a car, but was afraid that it would damage the plastic locks. They stink to replace when they break!
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Calypso

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 05:01:37 pm »
It has finally  warmed up in BC and we have had nice weather for 3 weeks. I do not have to mow the lawn as much as it is now almost dead. Hey that sounds like winter. OK maybe I want to have the summer last a little bit longer. As long as the forest fires and back country bans do not happen which could affect my float plane fishing trip.

At least there are no heating costs for the tub as it does not want to go below 100 and is usually at 101 even though temp is set at 100. Pretty soon people will begin com[plaining of the hot weather in the Pacific Northwest.
2007 Pacific Calypso

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 05:07:39 pm »
It has finally  warmed up in BC and we have had nice weather for 3 weeks. I do not have to mow the lawn as much as it is now almost dead. Hey that sounds like winter. OK maybe I want to have the summer last a little bit longer. As long as the forest fires and back country bans do not happen which could affect my float plane fishing trip.

At least there are no heating costs for the tub as it does not want to go below 100 and is usually at 101 even though temp is set at 100. Pretty soon people will begin com[plaining of the hot weather in the Pacific Northwest.

I will be amazed if it hits 80 again.      So where you at in BC?    I am just below you in Bellingham.

Sorry for the thread jack!!

Calypso

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 05:39:43 pm »
Sorry for the thread jack too. All this talk of winter has me confused. We have been to Bellingham a number of times. One of our favourite spots in the pacific northwest is the mount baker area.

We are located in Pitt meadows which is about 25 miles from the US border.

Jacuzzi j-470 or sundance Optima were our second choices but just did not fit right. Definately loved the jets though and the price was reasonable for what we are getting. For some reason I remember the J-365 having a deeper seat. Is this right? If the J-470was slighter deeper with longer seats we would have bought a jacuzzi.

Now I am really sorry for the thread jack. Must not think of snow!! ;D  ;D
2007 Pacific Calypso

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 07:09:54 pm »
Water temp is going to be bumped up ... even 1º difference makes a difference on how the tub feels.

I don't let my kids put their heads underwater - both kids got ear infections at the same time the one time they did put their heads underwater.

Water will freeze when it hits the floor, not immediately but eventually. Doesn't seem to damage the spa at all.

No frozen pipes if the spa is at 100º + and is insulated ok. Most spas will blow out the lines once or twice a day. If the spa isn't insulated properly - yes it will run all day.

Keep the tub ready to go at the set temp.

It doesn't suck all the time. When it is 20º out and still I can stay out there for about 10 minutes with a robe on. If there is a slight breeze, it still is OK. Wind just sucks period!!! Regardless, you MUST take off the wet bathing suit right away or it will get cold really fast. Using dichlor, it is really simple to just add 2 teaspoons to the tub - you can even premeasure it before going in the tub to just dump it in. Regular doses are easy - put it in, let it run, get changed (my tub is 10' from my back door) and then turn the tub off and put the cover on. You don't need to keep the cover off for long periods of time.

So far my winter soaks have been somewhat uneventful - I'm still waiting to soak as the snow falls. It was once cold enough that my wet hand was sticking to the door handle. I went in once with my youngest and the wind kicked up, we had to time getting out of the spa with the wind dying down - it went right through me - I will never do that again.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 07:10:24 pm by Vinny »

jimmyb

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 11:32:58 pm »
This winter will be our 1st with our HS Vista...  
I never really thought about it, however, after reading this topic I'm curious as to what to do with our steps?  They must get covered in ice, Eh!, which of course could (will) be dangerous...  Our vista has the spa stone option so the steps are quite heavy...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 08:07:47 am »
This winter will be our 1st with our HS Vista...  
I never really thought about it, however, after reading this topic I'm curious as to what to do with our steps?  They must get covered in ice, Eh!, which of course could (will) be dangerous...  Our vista has the spa stone option so the steps are quite heavy...
 Jimmy,

I found that if you clean the snow off the steps and keep them on the sunny side of the spa, then it doens't get to be too much of a problem.  There are times they may be a bit icey,  and folks need to be very careful, but  for the most part I haven't had too much of an issue.

Vinny tell us:

you MUST take off the wet bathing suit right away or it will get cold really fast.

Another great reason to go "au natural".   I am fourtunate that my yard is very private and we hardly ever use suits for the pool or hot tub. It's gotten to the point where I really don't like the feeling of a wet bathing suit even in the warm weather. In fact, I find it down right uncomfortable.  When I have freinds  over and we  use the tub, I keep several clean robes near the door. When we come in from using the tub, the robe goes on imediently and then I slip the suit right off.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 08:08:43 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 08:07:47 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42