What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Winter question  (Read 5669 times)

benalexe

Winter question
« on: July 05, 2008, 09:25:17 pm »
I know winter is  a long way off but my question is I notice every few weeks I need to add water in the tub. between evoporation and the kids splashing.  What happens in the winter in terms of adding water.  I would hate to hook up my hose in the winter for fear of a frozen pipe.

Hot Tub Forum

Winter question
« on: July 05, 2008, 09:25:17 pm »

Swell-Tub

• Scott
Re: Winter question
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 12:12:59 am »
Because the of the heat in Vegas I was adding water about twice a week. After I installed Dr Spa's spa blanket I only add water about every two weeks. And I would imagine that my winter evaporation will be different than yours as I'm still watering in December and January.

Scott  8-)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 10:11:01 am »
Buy a cattle prod. That tends to cut way back on the kid's splashing.

I read about this every winter. Some folks carry water in a bucket from the house, others have a spigot installed in the basement or garage so they can pull the hose out, use it, and then coil it safely inside again.

I used a tub up in the snow country around Lake Tahoe many years ago - they had one of those freeze-proof faucets (the valve is set way back into the wall of the house but the handle and connection stick out) and there was a 'vacuum breaker' on the faucet. So as soon as you shut off the water, the vacuum breaker opened and the hose began to drain. We took a few seconds to see to it that all the water drained out and left the hose hanging right there. Worked fine for the week we were there...

I am just so glad I live in a temperate climate!!!

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

kokanee001

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 11:09:53 am »
I live in Canada and we have very cold winters.  :)In regard to the freeze-proof faucet, they work very well for using them in the winter. However, my plumber has cautioned me to always remove the hose from the tap after use in the winter because if the water does not completely drain from the hose, then the water can stay backed up against the tap causing it to freeze and crack. Removing the hose after use is a simple and quick way to ensure the tap is safe from freezing.

mad4sax

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 12:20:11 pm »
I live in Upstate New York.  I have freeze-proof faucets on my house and bring my hose to the basement in the fall before cold weather.  I also have quick connectors on the facet and hose.  Just snap it on and off, much easier at 15 below zero with gloves on.  :)  Oh ... and bring the hose back inside after filling the tub.

snoopydance

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 12:46:04 pm »
My tub will be just outside my kitchen door. Could I run a hose from the kitchen sink? If I do my water changes planfully, before and after the frost (November and March?), it would just be for topping off.

Hey, mad4sax: I'm in Upstate NY too!

Cdn HockeyPuck

• '08 Artesian Platinum Cypress Point'
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 06:20:52 pm »
My tub will be just outside my kitchen door. Could I run a hose from the kitchen sink? If I do my water changes planfully, before and after the frost (November and March?), it would just be for topping off.

Hey, mad4sax: I'm in Upstate NY too!

that's how I flood my ice rink in the winter, is through the kitchen window, so I don't think it would be a problem with a spa, I've been out in -18 Celsius. no problem.
Dave

"The needs of many great soaks out way the needs of a few... or the one."

rphman

• Caldera Moorea 07
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 09:31:53 pm »
A couple of 5 gallon buckets work great filled inside with hot water work great!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 09:31:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42