What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chemically confused upon startup!  (Read 4466 times)

snoopydance

Chemically confused upon startup!
« on: July 17, 2008, 08:26:37 am »
I've been saving all the posts, past and present, to help me with my new (used) spa. I filled it yesterday, ran Jet Clean, vacuumed the jets, cleaned the inside, dumped it and refilled it. I brought a water sample to my local shop -- they're not really dealers; they're a pool/spa service store. They sell Leisure Time Products, and I'd like to give the local guygal (they're married) my chem business.

Everything contradicts everything else! Her instructions contradict your-all's advice, and everything contradicts what's on the package. For example:

Metal Gon: she said to wait 24 hours before adding Spa Down and shocking. Someone here said to be sure to remove the N2 (makes sense!). Somewhere else said to wait 4 hours.

SpaDown: Her computer test kit shows that I need 6 oz. of SpaDown. No advice about time or running jets. Someone here said to not run jets bc it could harm the plumbing. Package says nothing about running, but to wait 1/2 hour. It also says to add just 1 oz. at a time!

Dichlor: She said to use 1 teaspoon as the initial shock. Northern Guy (I think) said to use 7x the normal amount...so 3.5 teaspoons? The package says a couple of tablespoons, I think. (It's outside) I have no idea how much to put it at startup, or when. Or how long I have to wait before using it. My tub is 350 gallons and I'm planning to use a Nature 2, dichlor, MPS system. I bought an ozonator but the plug doesn't fit so I have to exchange it.

I'm also having problems with the settings (wiring?) of the pumps, but I'm going to call the mfr today to find out who I need to come fix it. In the meantime, since I don't want the pump to run 24/7, I've been turning it off by the GFCI and that means it's not heating. Just working out the bugs...

Hot Tub Forum

Chemically confused upon startup!
« on: July 17, 2008, 08:26:37 am »

MustangMama

• Drive it like you stole it.
Re: Chemically confused upon startup!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 11:58:48 am »
BUMP...

I am a newbie too and would like to see what some thoughts are on this.  I have been told conflicting things as well and its frustrating.  :-/
2008 Artesian Island Antigua

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 12:32:27 pm »
Each different chemical manufacture has different directions for their product, so when someone comes on a forum there tends to be all different advice and it gets very confusing, some stuff I jst shake my head at.

Most metal removal products you will want to wait 24 hours to test the water. If it is removing the metals, you are removing some of the stuff that effects the PH. I also tell people to rinse out their filters after using a metal remover to rinse off the stuff it has "removed" It is not actaully removed if it does not come out of the water IMO. Not putting the N2 in untill after is also a smart choice or you will defeat its purpose.

PH down I would wait and test the water after you remove the metals since once removing them you PH may change. It you have to add a large amount of PH decreaser it should be done over small doses since it is an acid. A large dose may not dissipate quick enough and cause damage. I would turn on the jets and broadcast it over the top of the water thus mixing it so it does not have the chance to sink and cause damage plus it is mixing it in all the water. Dont pour it right in front of the skimmer, this is what may cause damage since a high concentration will go directly to the controls and pumps.

Dichlor amount depends on size of tub, how many bathers and how long you use the tub to how much you use. The product we use is 1.2 ounces to shock which will bring the avaible chlorine to 10 in 500 gallons of water..4-.6 ounces will provide a 3-5 ppm in 500 gallons. Now that said, if a bunch of us use the tub we have to shock with 2 ounces when we get out and my risdual is back to about 1 or 2 the next day. With just 2 of us I use about a half an ounce after each soak at night. Everybody is going to be a bit different depending on use, body chemistry and what is "dragged" into the tub. You will find your exact niche after a little bit of trial and error. Most new tub owners have to dump their tub after the first month due to the learning curve.

Nature 2 has a (somewhat) good recipe included in the box. They are vague on how often to use dichlor and many on the forum have different opinions about it. Some use dichlor after each soak and MPS weekly, some use MPS at each soak and Dichlor weekly. If the tub is being used by more than 2 people with swimsuits and may be dragging in contaniments such as deoderant makeup ect. Dichlor after each use, if not and you want minimal chlorine, MPS at each use. The more dichlor you use the faster the CYA will go up causing more frequent water changes. This is what I have seen work with our customers.

You will get a system that works for you as a little time goes on, don't worry. Take all that everyone says with an open mind, sometimes on the forums we are not seeing the whole picture so things get left out, some people are old school chemistry, some are new school and much is based on opinion to what we have seen in the field opposed to science.

Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

stevewhosau

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 12:46:46 pm »
Very clear hillbilly, thanks for that.

Our water technician (free visit after spa purchase) recommended the MPS (not after each soak but every two days) and Dichlor one a week. This was after my reading (here) that I was going to do Dichlor after each soak and MPS weekly.

With only a week experience so far, I am liking the recommended instructions. We have very high alkalinity and need to adjust PH down after every incremental water add (due to loss by splash and exit of tub).

So I am clear, with nature 2 and using dichlor. Am I intending to show the most minimal chlorine levels; meaning that is ideal right?
If I add dichlor I would expect to see a decent reading right afterwards but say in a few days, I would exect to see 0-1?

trippn

EDIT: I should mention our Sunzone (ozone) was back-ordered so I'm still waiting for that to be installed.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 12:53:23 pm by trippn »

Hillbilly Hot Tub

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 03:28:47 pm »
If you are looking to have the lowest chlorine possible, with N2 and ozone and proper filtration, your water should be safe keeping chlorine on the low side. I would wait till you have the ozone installed before I let it drop to 1 or 2 though just to be safe. If its ideal for you fine. Some people are not comfortable with lower chlorine levels due to it can drop and be non existant quickly, thats why I say with the N2 and ozone you should be ok. If you not comfortable with this or have issues with water clarity you can increse your chlorine levels.

Nature 2 in my exsperience tends to run a high ALK naturally. Unless its outragous, if you PH is ok I would suggest not to fight with it too much.

Do you have the manual that came with the N2 stick?
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

stevewhosau

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 11:51:44 pm »
Do you have the manual that came with the N2 stick?

Yes, m'am?

Hillbilly Hot Tub

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 11:03:24 am »
Pg. 4 at the top has the start up, which you did, you may have gone a bit light on the start dose but thats ok.

Pg. 6 has the low chlorine recipe. I think its a bit of overkill on the MPS, my customers do it either before or after, not both. The as needed dichlor most my customers do weekly and after heavy use (friends over, teens etc.)

The N2 test strips will register a MPS reading if there is chlorine in the tub so bear this in mind.

stevewhosau

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 11:20:33 am »
I will look at this when I get home after work; thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 11:20:33 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42