What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: filter cleaning questions  (Read 3090 times)

benalexe

filter cleaning questions
« on: July 05, 2008, 09:23:59 pm »
Okay so today was the first time I had to clean my filters.  I  have taken them out several times in the past to hose them but today I am using the filter cleaner.
According to the bottle I need to soak the filters in a bucket for 10-12 hours.    Then it says to let them dry before putting them back in.  

Any reason why I have to let them dry? It seems somewhat silly to me.

When the filters are out can the pumps still be used ?  Will grass and stuff harm the motors?

Also when I pulled the filters out along with the filters coming out were a lot of grass and other dirt that was in the filter hole but not attached to the actual filter. Is this normal? Is there a way to prevent this?

Do I really need to do this every month?

What about the winter?

Hot Tub Forum

filter cleaning questions
« on: July 05, 2008, 09:23:59 pm »

Swell-Tub

• Scott
Re: filter cleaning questions
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 12:20:10 am »
Yesterday I pulled my filter and it was only a week old. Bugs went floating everywhere. Down the pump area and all over the tub. I sprayed the filter out and returned it. I ran the tub for about 10 minutes and all the bugs were gone. Back to the filter they went.

Scott  ::)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 01:25:52 am »
I rinse every four months - with a water change if I'm good - and get new ones every year. I can do that. But for normal people, soak in filter cleaner once a year is usually good.

If you use Baqua, soak two or three times a year.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

benalexe

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 05:02:26 am »
Wow I read in the manual for my spa once a month!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 09:54:23 am »
It has everything to do with the environment around the tub. I have many customers who can do as I did - rinse at water change only, which is four months for most folks.

I have other customers who live in more rural areas, perhaps next to or on a farming area, or close to a busy road, or near new construction, or a dirt road, or things such as that. If they work hard at keeping the patio around the spa hosed off, less of it will get into the spa, and the filter stays clean longer.

If you rinse the filter every month and lots of dirt comes off of it, I would say keep rinsing every month. If nothing much comes off of it, you could try every other month and keep going like that.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 05:54:56 pm »
oooooppppppppssssss
i do it every week

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 03:14:14 pm »
2 sets of filters--one set to run and one set to "rest".  I swap out every 2 weeks or so and hose down the set that comes out.  Both sets look great after 4 years.  I believe rinsing them every couple of weeks and letting them dry during the "off" period has contributed to longevity.  Also, have never used anything but water to rinse them.  Works for me anyways...
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 04:23:48 pm »
I clean the filter everytime guest use my spa. Ewww...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 04:24:09 pm by Mr._Bubbles »
It's all about da bubbles!

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 04:49:50 pm »
My old tub i had to rinse weekly and soak monthly, 25 sq ft filter. New tub has 2 75 sq ft filters, I rinse monthly and soak at water changes.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 11:06:50 am »
Anyone use one of those filter cleaner attachments that goes on your garden house?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 11:07:22 am by Mr._Bubbles »
It's all about da bubbles!

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 12:03:38 am »
Anyone use one of those filter cleaner attachments that goes on your garden house?
I do and it does make it quicker!!!

2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 12:03:38 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42