What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Strange Jetsetter Heating Issue  (Read 5130 times)

Webini

Strange Jetsetter Heating Issue
« on: July 11, 2008, 05:08:08 pm »
I may have discovered the solution to the energy crisis - my HS Jetsetter.  Allow me to explain.

My Jetsetter is 2 years old.  Never a heating issue.  We live in Maine and I usually keep the tub at 104 in the winter, 100 in the summer.  The tub is in the backyard and gets sun most of the day.

The other day I decided to turn it down to 100 for the summer.  I noticed that there were not many bubbles coming up from the tub.  This happened once or twice before and a power cycle cured the issue.  I unplugged the tub, waited 30 seconds and plugged it back in.  Problem solved.

I don't know if the above is related to my heating issue, but I thought I'd mention it.  Anyway, I keep a digital temp probe in the tub so I can monitor temp from the house (handy in the winter).  Usually it never varies from setpoint more than +- 1/2 degree.

Last night the tub was 108!  Glad I did not jump in.  I used another digital thermometer to double check and got the same reading.  It has been in the upper 80s the past several days so I thought that might be the issue.  Although it was never an issue last summer.

I added some dichlor, dropped the temp setting to 98 and ran the jets with the cover off for 30 minutes.  Temp dropped about 1/2 degree.  I left it as is to see what would happen.

I just got home and the tub is 106, with a low of 105.8 today.  It is 70 out with heavy clouds today.

What the *($&*$% is going on?  I'm going to unplug it for a couple hours and turn it back on to see what happens.  Naturally my whole family is going on vacation tomorrow until Thurs so there will be no one home for a service call.

Any ideas?  Is it safe to leave it at 106 while I am gone?

Hot Tub Forum

Strange Jetsetter Heating Issue
« on: July 11, 2008, 05:08:08 pm »

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
Re: Strange Jetsetter Heating Issue
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 05:14:20 pm »
It is safe to leave it at 106 while you are gone, just make sure you give it a good shock before you leave on vacation.  The older Hot Spring tubs have the capability of heating up to 108, and there is a variance the thermostat allows.  I believe it is currently about 2 degrees, but it may have been different the year you got the tub.

Webini

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 05:35:47 pm »
I was planning on the shock anyway, but this is a 2006 tub and right now the variance is 8 degrees and I can't get it to cool down!

Merlin

• Just here to help.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 05:50:38 pm »
I would open up the cover and set the temp down and just let it vent. the spa is very well insulated and wont cool down with a cover on. you might also want to put the spa in summer mode.  :)
Knowledgeable, Friendly, Helpful and Award Winning Hotspring & Caldera Dealer in Southern California

Webini

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 06:37:18 pm »
I am doing that now, but what I really want is to get to the root cause of the issue.  Any thoughts?

Webini

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 07:31:55 am »
The power cycle seems to have fixed the issue. I noticed when I went to unplug the tub that the green "ready" light was not on. So I guess this means something in the controls got confused and thought the tub was not at set temp so the heater ran all the time. When I plugged it back in the "ready" light was on and the tub is at 104 this morning and dropping down to 100 where I now have it set.

My electric bill should be interesting this month.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 07:32:45 am by Webini »

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 10:13:17 am »
Not sure if this helps at all but the green "ready" light only comes on when the water temp is within 2 degrees of the set temp.
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

Merlin

• Just here to help.
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 04:40:17 pm »
The power cycle seems to have fixed the issue. I noticed when I went to unplug the tub that the green "ready" light was not on. So I guess this means something in the controls got confused and thought the tub was not at set temp so the heater ran all the time. When I plugged it back in the "ready" light was on and the tub is at 104 this morning and dropping down to 100 where I now have it set.

My electric bill should be interesting this month.

Well since it is 2 years old if you continue to have a problem call our dealer, your Jetsetter has a 5 year full parts and labor warranty.
Knowledgeable, Friendly, Helpful and Award Winning Hotspring & Caldera Dealer in Southern California

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 06:02:35 pm »
I just got back from vacation and went to Maine ... beautiful state.

Have you had brownouts or lights flickering? Modern electronics can be affected by electrical fluctuations. I agree with Merlin, call the dealer if it continues.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 06:02:35 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42