What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Indoor Placement Info Needed!  (Read 2362 times)

stones81

Indoor Placement Info Needed!
« on: July 08, 2008, 09:40:42 am »
Hey Everyone! I hope every one had a great 4th!
Here's my situation:
I'm planning on building a 23' x 16' 6" Pool house adjacent to my existing pool.
I would like to place a hot tub INSIDE the structure and then build the pool house around it. One of the wall sections will be removable if I need to get the tub out, say in 15 years. The tub I want to get will not fit through standard doors.
My question relates to humidity build-up inside the structure. It will have plenty of windows, 3 sliding doors and 1 Frech door so ventilation in the warmer months should not be a problem. It's the wintertime that concerns me, when the thing is going to be for the most part, closed up to the elements. I live in the NorthEast. What should I do to properly ventilate the poolhouse? And are there any interior building materials that I should use to avoid mildew, mold buildup? I read somewhere that woodpaneling on the interior would be good because it naturally absorbs moisture. I'm not sure if 5/8 Greenboard sheetrock will cut it over the long term.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Hot Tub Forum

Indoor Placement Info Needed!
« on: July 08, 2008, 09:40:42 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Indoor Placement Info Needed!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 12:48:26 pm »
Build it like a bathroom - one that has ten people taking showers every single day of the year.

You MUST have massive amounts of air movement. Air conditioning or dehumidifying is good, but large exhaust fans are the minimum.

If you do go for a natural wood finish, be sure to mount everything to allow for expansion and contraction. You will get a lot of it.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 01:53:10 pm »

[size=16]Aqua Lung: Indoor Hot Tubs Found to be Source of Lung Disease[/size]

American Thoracic Society Conference

DENVER-Microscopic organisms contained in aero
sols generated by indoor hot tubs can cause lung disease in the people who regularly use them, a National Jewish Medical and Research Center physician reports today at the American Thoracic Society (ATS) International Conference.

National Jewish physicians recently treated nine people, including four children, for a lung disease caused by nontuberculous mycobacteria (NTM). NTM—specifically Mycobacteria avium and fortuitum—were found in the hot tub water and/or in the air of the homes of the people diagnosed. The hot tubs are located inside of homes, near family and living rooms, and bedrooms.

"The jets from hot tubs aerosolize the bacteria, which is how this becomes a problem," said Cecile Rose, MD, MPH, a National Jewish physician specializing in treating people with environment and occupational lung diseases, and reporting the research findings at ATS. "Bubbles—rich with the bacteria—rise up, burst and disperse the bacteria throughout a room."

Unlike its bacterial cousin tuberculosis—transmitted by infected humans—NTM is not contagious. In nature, these organisms live in brackish ocean water, like tide pools. But indoor hot tubs, which generally produce a substantial mist, may be causing this lung disease to become more prevalent. The organisms enter the air when a mist, called aerosolization, is produced and the bacteria are suspended in water droplets.

People with NTM often suffer from fever, tiredness, night sweats, cough and weight loss. "For people with mild cases of NTM, removing the hot tub from the home is the primary treatment," she said.

In more severe cases, and those reported on at the ATS conference, treatment involved corticosteroids and/or corticosteroids and antimycobacterial antibiotics. Sometimes three to four antibiotics must be given at once.

This respiratory problem is often misdiagnosed as sarcoidosis—characterized by inflamed, microscopic growths called granulomas most often found in the lungs—or tuberculosis. "This disease mimics other granulomatous lung diseases, but few people understand the link between hot tub exposure and the symptoms of disease," she said. In instances when the lung problems are misdiagnosed, and in three cases reported at the ATS conference they were, patients remained in the home, prolonging their exposure to NTM.

Nevertheless, Dr. Rose adds, "Because luxury items like hot tubs are becoming more common, I believe there will be an increasing recognition and understanding of the risk associated with their use among doctors and consumers."

http://www.nationaljewish.org/news/y2000/news49.aspx

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 12:35:20 pm »
#1...He is not putting the hot tub in his house or living area.

#2...Wouldn't properly maintained water kill the bacteria causing this?

We have a several customers with indoor tubs, very popular in the ski areas. The rooms they have are built from high quality cedar and have several vent/exhaust fans in them. Some also open the windows a bit for added precaution while using the tub since this is when most the miosture will get into the air. A good cover and addition to a spa blanket will help prevent moisture build up when the tub is closed.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 12:39:06 pm by Hillbilly_Hot_Tub »
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Zep

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 04:11:54 pm »
re: "He is not putting the hot tub in his house or living area"[/b]

Hillbilly but does that matter? It still sounds like it will still be in an enclosed structure.

"I would like to place a hot tub INSIDE the structure and then build the pool house around it. One of the wall sections will be removable if I need to get the tub out, say in 15 years. My question relates to humidity build-up inside the structure. the thing is going to be for the most part, closed up to the elements"
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 04:12:33 pm by Zep »

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 04:30:49 pm »
Your article specifies [b]The hot tubs are located inside of homes, near family and living rooms, and bedrooms. [/b]

People would be breathing the air all the time, outside by the pool they would only be in the room while using the tub.

Just my thought on how I thought the article was reading. Plus, is there any data stating that sanitizers do not kill these bacteria? If the tub is properly sanitized, the bacteria should be dead.

Also, any reason why just indoor tubs since you breath the mist at anytime you use the tub? I am curious to learn more..
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Zep

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 05:21:29 pm »
Your article specifies The hot tubs are located inside of homes, near family and living rooms, and bedrooms.

It says the people in these cases had tubs inside of homes near family rooms ect....but that doesn't mean it is limited to just those rooms that it could happen in.
The same thing could happen in a garage or any enclosed room.

People would be breathing the air all the time, outside by the pool they would only be in the room while using the tub.

What would that matter? If they breathe it in the room or it floats to the bedroom they still get it.

Plus, is there any data stating that sanitizers do not kill these bacteria? If the tub is properly sanitized, the bacteria should be dead.

Oh absolutely if everything is picture perfect it's not gonna happen, but the CDC and other medical entities know that life isn't perfect and thus put out warnings about being very cautious with indoor tubs. Although I would
think it is fairly rare in any case.

also, any reason why just indoor tubs since you breath the mist at anytime you use the tub? I am curious to learn more...

I am no medical expert but I would assume outdoor tubs would have maybe tens times the ventilation and an indoor tub sitting enclosed under a ceiling and surrounded by walls. If you are curious I would do a search in google under "hot tub lung".....the medical experts can explain it alot better than I can. They usually always stress that indoor tubs are more likely to be the culprit.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 10:00:22 pm by Zep »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 05:21:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42