What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How important is a perfect level install?  (Read 28571 times)

bobolewie

How important is a perfect level install?
« on: July 07, 2008, 01:58:49 pm »
I have checked out the concrete slab i want to install on and it is slightly off. Not too slightly or i would not ask but the 18 inch level must be raised about 1/2 inch to make level. Is this tolerable? If not, any suggestions on how to fix this? Build a two inch wood platform to set on?  Thanks,

Hot Tub Forum

How important is a perfect level install?
« on: July 07, 2008, 01:58:49 pm »

BubbaGump

Re: How important is a perfect level install?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 02:31:37 pm »
I have checked out the concrete slab i want to install on and it is slightly off. Not too slightly or i would not ask but the 18 inch level must be raised about 1/2 inch to make level. Is this tolerable? If not, any suggestions on how to fix this? Build a two inch wood platform to set on?  Thanks,

Is that 1/2 inch over an 18 inch run on the level?  The reason I ask is that if your off by 1/2 inch over an 18 inch run, then your pad could be off by as much as 6 & 1/2 inches if it is 10ft square.  I would imagine that is a huge deal vs 1/2 inch in total.  If you have a straigt 2X4 place it on the slab, then put the level on top.  Raise the low end of the 2X4 until you achieve level.  This is not as accurate as a large level, but much less expensive.

If you have already done that and its only 1/2 total, I doubt it would be a problem...  There are experts on here, so I would see what they have to say.

spa-ing

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 04:33:35 pm »
My tub isn't level and it works fine.  It's off by at least an inch from left to right side.  That's because it sits on a wood deck and the deck isn't level. So far nothing bad has happened.

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 04:46:24 pm »
Over time a spa being unlevel can cause stress to the acrylic and cabinet. As was said, a 1/2 inch total or 1/2 inch in 18 inches is a big difference. If something happens down the road to the shell or cabinet, and it is found that the tub was not level, they may not honor the warranty.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 06:20:41 pm »
Ask your manufacturer. Give them the details.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 12:18:54 am »
My spa is off by about a 1/2" and it drives me crazy. I like them level.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

kokanee001

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 01:24:16 am »
An easy way to level the concrete slab is to get a mudjacker to level it. He drills a hole in the low end and pumps in a concrete slurry under pressure. When it's level he seals the hole. Had a fellow come and level a couple of large concrete patio slabs for me  :)and it cost about $200.

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 07:52:23 am »
An easy way to level the concrete slab is to get a mudjacker to level it. He drills a hole in the low end and pumps in a concrete slurry under pressure. When it's level he seals the hole. Had a fellow come and level a couple of large concrete patio slabs for me  :)and it cost about $200.

Good point, I forgot about that.  Make sure the corrected slab can still withstand the weight of the tub.
It's all about da bubbles!

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 09:32:57 pm »
My tub is about 1/4 inch off level. The problem is when I fall asleep in the tub I slide out of the seat and onto the floor dome.

Just kidding, I don't see any problems with it being a little off level as long as the base is well supported.

Scott  8-)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 10:36:21 pm »
Bobo,

One quarter of an inch fall per foot is pretty standard for any kind of flatwork where water needs to be diverted away from a structure. In your case a 1/2'' every 18'' is a bit steep(especially for placing a spa). A few options would be to get your tub shimmed(check with the manu as mentioned),  put some tile or pavers over the existing patio building up the low side with either mortar or crushed limestone, or just add on to the patio with a more level one.

My spa has about a 3/4'' fall from one side to the other. Since I new I was placing a spa on my patio, I had the flat worker do a 1/8'' fall per foot. Doesn't effect my soaking whatsoever.

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 01:51:03 am »
Chad, that is one nice looking tub. The planters add a nice touch...

Scott  8-)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Repeat_Offender

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 07:44:34 am »
!/2" over an 18" run is huge. When you have 3-4 people in your spa the water level rises significantly. You'll have water spilling over one edge with that much difference. Spa slabs should be poured level, no need for slope to accomodate runoff as very little of the slab is left uncovered by the spa.
Fix it.
Bullfrog 562

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 07:44:34 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42