What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Can you add insulation?  (Read 9147 times)

snoopydance

Can you add insulation?
« on: July 01, 2008, 08:46:08 pm »
I'm hoping this isn't part of the dead horse. My previously-loved (used) spa is neither full foam nor tp. It's foam that is applied to the outside parts of the tub. I'm wondering if, before I set it on the gravel pad, should I/can I put down a piece of rigid insulation? Alternatively, can I blow in some more foam? I'm assuming the pink fluffy stuff is a baaaaad idea, since it would become a mess if it gets wet.

I live in Upstate New York. The previous owner said he spent about $30 a month to run it, which is average, but if I can insulate a little more, maybe I can run it cheaper. Also, as you can see, there is no "bottom," so I was thinking that in the winter I'll put some of those mouse-repellant bags inside the cabinet. Good idea?

PS How do you insert pics?

Hot Tub Forum

Can you add insulation?
« on: July 01, 2008, 08:46:08 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Can you add insulation?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 08:56:58 pm »
Adding bottom insulation might be a good idea only if nothing will get crushed by adding it.

As far as the rest of the tub - people have put batts of insulation in plastic bags and insulated that way. I always envisioned cutting that foiled faced insulation that they have in HD to fit snuggly and making it more energy efficient that way. If you do decide to do any insulation make sure that you get on top under the lip and consider what happens with the motors/pumps. On FF insulation it has been said to leave well enough alone but if you can make a TP more efficient - why not.

To insert an image you need to go to a photo place on the web that will hold the photos and then use the 3rd button in the first row above the smiley faces and insert the photo's place (copy it) between the ][ of the that comes up.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 09:00:37 pm by Vinny »

snoopydance

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 09:07:13 pm »
As clarification, mine is not TP. I'm not sure how it would be classified. Partial foam? How do I attach a pic? I took some to share with you all but when I click on the "insert image" icon, all that happens is I get this:

benalexe

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 11:36:20 pm »
As clarification, mine is not TP. I'm not sure how it would be classified. Partial foam? How do I attach a pic? I took some to share with you all but when I click on the "insert image" icon, all that happens is I get this:
 got to photobucket.com upload your photos there and then copy the image code. Very easy to do.

snoopydance

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 08:00:15 am »
Here's a photo of the type of insulation I have: Here's a photo of the type of insulation I have:

benalexe

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 08:25:51 am »
I am no expert in this area but it looks like a full foam tub.  I would leave it alone.

Spiderman

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 10:00:02 pm »
Full foam goes all the way to the cabinet; at least in HotSpring it does.  I've seen a few tubs like that out in the field, in my short time.  All I can think about is how much people are paying to run something like that  :o     One lady I spoke with said her electric bill averages about $170/month!!  Now granted, that's not just the tub, but WOW!   My electric and natural gas combined averages just a little more than that a month.  

I think a tub like that up here that's used daily will cost a tad more than $30/month, IMHO.    As mentioned, I've also seen tubs where people have put batts in plastic bags for added insulation.
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

benalexe

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 09:04:05 am »
WOW my electric bill alone per month is $300 and that is before the spa!!!

Regarding the insulaiton.  Anyway to put thermopains on that frame?

snoopydance

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 09:13:20 am »
Yes, here in Upstate NY, my monthly utility bill in the winter is close to $300, without the tub. They're predicting it to be much higher this winter.  :'(

I plan to use the tub 2-3x week, and if I can add a little insulation, that might help. The foam batts in plastic bags could work. (We're talking just some pieces of that R-whatever pink stuff, right?)

spa-ing

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 09:26:39 pm »
Since our tub sits in the floor of the deck and you cannot see the cabinet, we screwed 2 or 3 inch rigid pink foam board all the way around the outside plus made a little door for the access area. I don't know if it made a tremendous difference, but DH thinks so and he did all the work!

PS the tub is like 10 years old and a Jacuzzi.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 09:27:31 pm by spa-ing »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 02:53:55 pm »
That's a good start. I would add some spray foam, if you have the $$ for it, or bag up some packing pellets and stuff them into the voids.

Also, something to close off the bottom would be worth it. I have used exterior grade plywood nailed to the bottom structure, with a sheet of Tyvek on top. In fact, Tyvek all around is not a bad idea. Keeps out moisture and stops air infiltration.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 02:53:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42