What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cost for electrician in the Northeast  (Read 2024 times)

snoopydance

Cost for electrician in the Northeast
« on: July 01, 2008, 08:56:40 pm »
What should it cost to have an electrician do his thing? I was budgeting $500ish and the first guy I called said it would be between $600 and $700! I know copper is very expensive these days, but still!

Hot Tub Forum

Cost for electrician in the Northeast
« on: July 01, 2008, 08:56:40 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Cost for electrician in the Northeast
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 09:02:49 pm »
My advice is to call a few electricians. I got prices from $450 to $800 and eventually used an electrician friend who offered to do it.

kacrab10

• 2004 Sundance Optima
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 10:38:24 pm »
We had an "sort of" friend do it for us and it was 800 I believe and much of that was materials.  The big thick cord they use to run from the tub to the breaker is expensive and we had to run it the length of our house to reach the breaker box so that really cost a lot.  I expected it would cost a lot because it took a while to do. But... we are thrilled and are having a hard time getting people (teenagers and friends) younger daughter and us adults out of it so, so far it is worth it! We are in Northeastern Md.

benalexe

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 11:33:58 pm »
Whit mine I had a friend who is an electrician do it.  I dug the trench and purchased the materials which cost about $300. he told that electricians make a huge profit on these type jobs. It took hm about 90 minutes.

snoopydance

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 08:11:23 am »
Would I be saving money if I bought the GFCI on my own? spadepot has one with a 60A for $129.00  The first electrician I called said I shouldn't bother to do that since he buys them in bulk and ends up paying about the same. This is the item: Spa Disconnect GFCI Load Center up to 60A

Is there any other way to save some money here? I could dig the trench but I'm not really sure where the trench should be in relation to the site...

I like the fact that it has an extra outlet!

benalexe

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 08:21:58 am »
Snoopy,

Why not call the electrician and ask him what the savings would be if you supply the parts did the trenching so all he needs to do is run the lines and the actual hook up.

Decide where you want the spa. Then pick the area of the spa that you would want the wire to go in.  Some people put it in the bottom I had mine go in the bottom right hand side.  The disconnect needs to be 15 feet from the spa.   Dig a trench from the spa to where the disconnect is and to a place in your home where it will go in to the electric? Do you have a basement? Is it finished?

In my case I ran the line into the side of the house and routed the wire in my basement to the electric box.  The disconnect attached to the side of my home.  

Also realize the wire itself is very expensive.  

your electrician may buy in bulk or wholesale but he is making a markup on you.  Also maybe ask him to break out the prices for the parts.

Is this a new tub?  I just hooked mine up this spring and with moving it electric, cchemicals, cover lifter etc etc my free tub cost me about $2,000

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 08:21:58 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42