What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Recommendation for hot-tub 4-6 person, < $7000  (Read 9794 times)

jenC

Recommendation for hot-tub 4-6 person, < $7000
« on: June 22, 2008, 10:20:37 pm »
Hi,
I've been reading the forum for several hours now and decided to finally bite the bullet and post.  We are planning our first hot tub purchase and I'm looking for recommendations in my budget/wish list.

Wish list:
4-6 person tub
Full foam insulation
No lounger
No larger than 90" in length (6-7 feet would be best)
We want to be around $5000... going up to $7000 or so...
Good quality/energy efficient

We've been to the local Jacuzzi/Sundance dealer.  I wasn't totally feeling the dealer although he did seem to know what he was talking about. He didn't really seem to want to listen to my wish list though and was pushing the J-280 really hard even though it's bigger than what I want.  He quoted me $5800 on that one.

After poking around on the internet for a bit I found the J-345 and J-365 which look like what I would want (love the foot massager in the 365 but we don't really need all that extra space).  What would be a reasonable price for a 345 or 365? Any chance either are within my budget?  The only other dealer really near by is a Hot Springs dealer, what do they have that compares to the J-345/365 in price/features?  There are plenty of other dealers within an hours drive, I'm just trying to start with what is really close.  I'm in the Chicago suburbs.

I know we need to do the wet tests before we decide on anything, I'm just trying to figure out where to start.

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 10:54:42 pm by jencaputo »

Hot Tub Forum

Recommendation for hot-tub 4-6 person, < $7000
« on: June 22, 2008, 10:20:37 pm »

Vanguard

Re: Recommendation for hot-tub 4-6 person, < $6500
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 10:28:09 pm »
Take a look at the Hot Spot series from Hot Spring.  They have some nice spas in that price range.  Maybe just a little bit more.

While shopping, remember that some of the less expensive spas with a lot of bling have done something to lower the cost.  It is about trade offs at that price point.  

Do you want high quality?  Then you may have to sacrifice some of the features of a higher priced spa.  

Do you want the bling?  Then you may have to sacrifice some of the quality of the higher priced spas.

You can't get great quality, great support and a lot of stuff for a low price.  Just can't be done.  Everything on the spa costs money and the more stuff you get the more the spa will cost.  Some of that stuff may be fancy lighting, lots of jets, lots of pumps, longer warranty, etc.  Decide what is most important.

Once you have decided what is most important, look at the spas that offer that.  Then, wet test it to make sure you are comfortable in it.  There are some very comfortable mid-range spas out there.

Good luck with your search and keep asking questions as you look around.  Don't get fooled into thinking you can have everything you want on a spa at your price point.  Some people will tell you that they can offer it to you, but something will be missing and that will be the part they don't tell you about.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 10:28:51 pm by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

stevewhosau

Re: Recommendation for hot-tub 4-6 person, < $6500
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 10:50:37 pm »
Our recent inquiries on the J-365 (375 is same price) was 7995 but we had a verbal 7500 on the second visit.

jenC

Re: Recommendation for hot-tub 4-6 person, < $7000
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 12:21:40 am »
Thanks for the replies so far! We are definitely in it for quality/reliability over bling! And we're hoping that going for the smaller size will get us more for our money since we will rarely need room for more than the two of us.  

We're very interested to hear other's opinions!

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 12:29:37 am »
I wet tested a Jacuzzi J-345. We had four people in it and it was a little crowded. 2 of the people (me and my son-in-law) are a little on the big side. OK we are over-weight. Great tub and I think the price was $7500.

Good Luck,
Scott  :)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

MarKee

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 12:53:38 am »
There are some nice 4-6 person spas in that price range in the Marquis line.  You can check them out at:

http://www.marquisspas.com

There should be a dealer in your area

Darth Vader

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 09:04:59 am »
I recently purchased a new 2008 sundance hot tub model chelsea for 6250.00 in new york comes with stairs ,ozenator ,chemical start up kit, cover and cover lifter including delivery and set up. what was great about it sundance was having a 0% for 12 months ,no payment until june 2008,this tub can easily hold six people and has those wonderful foot massages and  lighting.watch on the internet as these specials will continue during upcoming holidays.you can go wrong if you purchase from hot springs ,jacuzzi ,or sundance, they make and excellent tub and have great warranties .I hoppe this hepl you Regards Marc

jenC

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 09:08:46 am »
Marc,
where are you watching for these deals? Was it on Sundance's website or through your dealer?  Sounds ideal for what we're after!

MarKee - I did see some Marquis I thought would be great, the dealer is pretty far from me though so I'll have to work up some motivation for the trip :)

eagle

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 11:38:45 am »
I'm just going to jump in here.  Go with a dealer that is close to your home.  Also one that has a good reputation and been in business more than 2 months!!  Also if possible done get the "low end" tub.  

This is the voice of experience talking here.  We've had lots of "issues" with our tub - dealer no longer in business, no one will work on it, etc.  We've finally got everything working - finally after lots of headaches and calls - but its not worth the trouble.

Local good dealer with reputation and service department.  My opinion and experience only speakin here.

kacrab10

• 2004 Sundance Optima
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 07:15:03 pm »
You can also try craigslist.com for your area.  We had great luck finding a nearly new 2004 (delivered in 2005) Sundance for 3000 + all the other stuff like electric, deck, chemicals, filter, delivery etc.  It came with steps and cover lifter.  No warranty but good price and looks brand new -the headrests that need replacing. :(

Darth Vader

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 08:59:00 pm »
Jen, it is on the sundance web site,it is sponsered by ge bank for financing ,watch for it before the upcoming holidays,best of luck, Marc

jenC

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 09:02:45 pm »
My local Sundance dealer gave me a price of 7200 for the Chelsee... I'm glad i know what you paid so I have something to bargain towards.  Fingers crossed that there's a nice sale for the 4th of July!!

Vanguard

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 10:15:37 pm »
Just be sure to wet test the spas you are looking at.

I'd also look at the Tiger River line from Hot Spring and the Limelight Spas from Hot Spring.  
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

jenC

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 11:16:27 pm »
Yup, I already made appointments. Tomorrow I'm wet testing the Jacuzzi J-345 and Sundance Chelsee.

This weekend I'm trying out two of the Hot Springs - I already like the Hot Springs dealer a lot better than the jacuzzi/sundance dealer.. I feel like he's not taking me seriously as a buyer because I'm a 20-something female. He keeps acting like he doesn't really want to talk to me since I obviously can't be making this decision/purchase on my own (the jacuzzi/sundance dealer that is)... ugh.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 12:09:05 am by jencaputo »

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 09:16:54 am »
Hi jenC,

Don't know about Chicago per se, but here in southern Ohio you get a number "middle-line" models from the name brands spa manufacturers that put you comfortably inside your budget.  Sundance's old Sweetwater brand is now their 600 series.  Artesian has their Island Spas brand.  Hot Spring has Tiger River and now Limelight.  Many others like Jacuzzi, Marquis and Dimension One have dependable middle lines.

Lesser known brands like Dynasty and Emerald are fairly local brands to you in Chicago so you might also see them at your dealers too.

You have a pretty forgiving budget so I know you'll find a good spa.  Just get comfortable with the whole package before pulling the trigger.  Obviously how it feels is #1 because that will hopefully be 95% of your experience.  But energy usage, warranty (and the company backing it up), local dealer reputation and professionalism, and overall construction of the spa are also very important.

Good luck.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 09:16:54 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42