What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sticky diverter -- how should I warranty it?  (Read 4719 times)

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
Sticky diverter -- how should I warranty it?
« on: June 25, 2008, 06:30:22 pm »
So I've got a diverter valve on my 2006 Sundance Optima that is getting progressively harder to turn.  About a year ago I removed and sanded it smooth (there were some gouges on it) and that made it rotate like butter.  Fast forward to now though, and its turning harder than ever...

My question is -- should I pull it out and just bring it to my dealer?  Or should I schedule a visit?  If the latter, will they charge me a trip fee?  I'm about 2 miles away.  ::)   This should be repaired under warranty at no cost to me, yes?
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

Hot Tub Forum

Sticky diverter -- how should I warranty it?
« on: June 25, 2008, 06:30:22 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Sticky diverter -- how should I warranty it?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 07:03:47 pm »
 Take it out clean and replace it, if bad bring it to the dealer see if he will replace with new.  I would.  Just shut spa off if your bringing the part in if a pump kicks on, you might lose just a we bit of water.  :o

benalexe

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 07:13:04 pm »
On my tub I find the diverter valves are hard to tun when the spa is on.  Turn the spa off and it is easy.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 11:48:52 pm »
So I've got a diverter valve on my 2006 Sundance Optima that is getting progressively harder to turn.  About a year ago I removed and sanded it smooth (there were some gouges on it) and that made it rotate like butter.  Fast forward to now though, and its turning harder than ever...

My question is -- should I pull it out and just bring it to my dealer?  Or should I schedule a visit?  If the latter, will they charge me a trip fee?  I'm about 2 miles away.  ::)   This should be repaired under warranty at no cost to me, yes?

On my 2003 Jacuzzi it is the samae way.  Hard to turn while the unit is on (now) but easy to turn once the pumps are turned off.  I do know that when it was new I could easily turn the diverter even with the pumps both on full speed but did end up breaking two of them that way about 4 years in (last year) so now I just make certain to switch the pumps off and then change the diverter.  Not really an issue for me.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Vanguard

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 12:06:13 am »
My question to you is why didn't you just have your dealer take care of this from the beginning.  Sometimes the homeowner can make things worse.  Then, you find out that your home repair has voided your warranty.

I'm not saying that will happen with this, but you should have just called your dealer.  That is why you have a warranty.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 10:26:42 am »
Sand is typically the culprit for this problem, taking them out and cleaning them and sanding the gouges from the valve body will help. Try to keep the sand out of the spa, having a foot bath pan to rinse your feet off before entry will help, you can also get suctions socks that will help.

I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 12:01:50 pm »
I had my spa checked by the dealer just before the warranty ran out for any potential problems and the tech used some kind of lube on one of my diverters to make it easier to turn.  Not sure what he used but it must be pretty common.

I also understand that the diverters are inexpensive and easy to replace.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 02:04:18 am »
Paul, I would give your dealer a call. They should tell you over the phone if they charge a Trip Fee. If I remember right you weren't totally thrilled with your dealer.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 03:22:54 pm »
Thanks for the inputs.  As to why I didn't originally call the dealer -- well, they're assholes (as Gomboman seems to recall! ;D )and I didn't want to deal with them.  Funny though, not long after I wrote to Sundance about them they stopped carrying Sundance tubs! lol

Plus, I got advice on here that it was a 2-minute job to rectify the problem, which it was.  I just didn't realize that whatever had caused the gouges was still there....

Anyway, the dealer is right down the road so I'll talk to them and see what they say.  Worst case I'll just fix the diverter myself again...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 03:23:54 pm by pg_rider »
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 03:44:11 pm »
 Replacement parts are pretty cheap.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 06:28:04 pm »
I had my spa checked by the dealer just before the warranty ran out for any potential problems and the tech used some kind of lube on one of my diverters to make it easier to turn.  Not sure what he used but it must be pretty common.

I also understand that the diverters are inexpensive and easy to replace.

That is not a good idea it will help short term but the lube will act like a magnet for the dirt and it will bind up harder in the future.

I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 03:32:46 pm »

That is not a good idea it will help short term but the lube will act like a magnet for the dirt and it will bind up harder in the future.

I didn't feel the diverter had an issue.  The tech felt it was a little hard to turn and lubed it.  I imagine it was some type of silicone.  Its been a year and still works well.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 03:32:46 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42