What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Seattle Spa Shopping  (Read 2586 times)

Jet Sitter

Seattle Spa Shopping
« on: June 26, 2008, 06:45:03 pm »
I ran across a thread, on a different forum I beleive, where the poster was upset because Seattle prices were much higher than the prices he was seeing on these forums.  He said something about not being able to get within $1000 of what other folks were buying tubs for.  I saw the post and thought maybe he wasn't a very good negotiator because that is a huge difference and there are a variety of large and small dealers in the area.

We're now in the home stretch of the spa search.  The search has been enjoyable and the dealers have been helpful and we have experienced little or none of the negative stuff that others have reported.  During our initial visit each dealer has given us a price for the tubs were are interested in.  As we have figured out which tubs we like, we have found that there are about 4 or 5 that would do the trick nicely, although there were one or two that we preferred.

We went back to each dealer to take a closer look at our "finalists".  I told the dealers we had appreciated their help and we are interested in a tub, but wanted to be upfront that we were considering a couple others elsewhere.  I asked him if he would take another look at the pricing and let us know the best price he would sell the tub for, becasue that would be a factor in our final decision.  I also said that I wasn't going to go back and forth between dealers and play them off each other - just let me know the best price and we'll go with it or not.

This approach worked great the last time I bought a car, but in this case each dealer's best price was the first one he gave me.  One the one hand this is good because it eliminates the different prices for different people situation that frustrates so many buyers.  It is a more fair way to operate, because the folks who aren't comfortable or aware of negotiating aren't subsidizing the ones who bargain aggresively.  On the otherhand like the other posted noticed, theses prices are significantly higher than what people in other markets are buying them for.  It almost seems as if a gentleman's agreement has evolved between dealers not to play the price chasing game.

The prices are not as high as I see some people paying elsewhere, but still a fair amount over what I thought I might end up paying.  I researched prices in the forum a lot and considered when buyers were getting floor models, last season's model etc. and  focused on prices for ordered tubs and set a rough reference figure for what I thought we might pay - we're still about $1000 +/- over the target.  How this number compares to the average that buyers pay for each model, I have no idea.

Has any one else in the Seattle area had a similar or different experience?  As I said, the process has been enjoyable although I'll pay quite a bit more that I thought I would.  If it translates into good service and a stable dealer, it probably makes sense.  Maybe it is just the shaky dealers that are making those low $ sales.  Has anyone scored a Seattle area bargin on a tub that wasn't some kind of special situation?  Have dealer prices dropped when you got back in touch with them?

Hot Tub Forum

Seattle Spa Shopping
« on: June 26, 2008, 06:45:03 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Seattle Spa Shopping
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 07:51:10 pm »
If Jacuzzi is still in the line up let me know, I could probably make something work??  We just sold one to a guy in Snohomish, so it is doable from up here.   There was a guy from Seattle that bought from Black pine, I think it was josh??   I believe he bought a LA spa??   Prolly find it in a search.   Other than him I don't think there are any others from Seattle.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 07:53:18 pm by Jacuzzi_Jim »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 07:55:48 pm »
Not an answer to your questions, and not an attempt to hijack your thread, but a couple of comment/questions.

Isn't it true that the northwest is relatively  unaffected by the housing crisis?  If so, your experience could be reflected in the health of the local economy.

My observation as a dealer (and I know of others on the forum who share this view) is that some the prices you are referring to that are about $1000 less than Seattle prices are about $1000 less than what a dealer needs to run a healthy long term business that can pay living wages and provide long term customer service.  In other words, at least in my area, with high commercial rents, despite falling home prices, high taxes, etc. the prices you are seeing seem to be fair prices.  I know as buyers it doesn't seem that way.

Finally, I know that you have 2 of the most respected dealers in the country in the Seattle area, recognized as industry leaders, Olympic Hot Tub and Aquaquip.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 09:56:01 am »
Have you gone to the Clearwater factory/showroom in Woodinville? Not sure if they do factory specials or if they din't do them to eliminate stepping on local dealers toes.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Jet Sitter

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 12:29:38 pm »
Hillbilly - Based on our wet testing we have gotten focused on foot therapy.  We have found that most tubs do a good job with the upper body but there are big difference in jetting for the feet and legs.  We decided to try to find a tub that provided foot jets for multiple seats, such as a foot dome provides.  If we can't find a comfortable tub with a foot dome we'll expand the search.  We have found several that could fill the bill but I don't recall a model from Clearwater with a footdome.  They probably make one with good lower body massage, but we are really focused on the foot dome for better or worse.

Hottubdan - A couple tubs on our short list are from Olympic and Aquaquip.  Here's an example of what we're looking at pricewise for two similarly sized and featured tubs.  Olympic will sell us a Tiger River Caspian for $9145 plus tax, including GFCI.  Aquaquip will sell us a Majesta for $9400 plus tax.  Aside from the GFCI, these tubs are similarly equipped with cover, hydraulic lifter, ozonator, started chems.  For $250 difference the 880 series Sundance Majesta would be an easy choice for me over the Caspian,  which seems way overpriced by comparison.  The pricing on the Majesta is closer to the ballpark I researched on that tub - the Caspian is way way over and is out of the running.  I'd be suprised if any you Watkins dealers feel that this is a good price for the Caspian.  I suspect that some Sundance dealers might feel that the Majesta pricing is pretty decent, given the reputation of the established dealer.

Jacuzzi Jim - Thanks for cheking in - yes I intend to get in touch with you

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 12:38:38 pm »
  I have a 07 demo Jacuzzi J-470 I can make a heck of a deal on.  Has lift, ozone and full warranty.  The color is onyx (granite grey)with silverwood siding.  Few dents and dings but nothing major.   Let me know when your ready.

Calypso

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 12:38:40 pm »
I might be biased but take a look at the Pacific Calypso. The foot dome is excellent and also has a great vortex jet for hamstrings. It also has a great hip and calf package. The plant is in BC so shipping would not be much and there are probably dealers in the seattle area. you can do a dealer locate on their website. With the options you are looking for tub will be in the 9 to 10 thousand range but their may be a floor model available.

good luck  
2007 Pacific Calypso

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 10:13:30 am »
Clearwater does not have any with a foot dome. They have the Orlando with multiple seats that have jets all the way down the legs and feet. 3 jets for each foot, plus some of the tubs have the master massager (or 2) jet in the foot well as well.

It was just a thought since you are so close to them. Good luck in your search, I am with you, I like the foot therapy! I also like strong shoulder therapy, and back therapy, and hip therapy.... ;) (I have an Orlando and am now very spoiled!)
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 10:13:30 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42