What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: So what does this valve do???  (Read 1620 times)

benalexe

So what does this valve do???
« on: June 27, 2008, 08:05:57 pm »
Hi Guys,

Okay here is a question for you.   I have this valve in the front right side of my tub that I can't figure out what it does.   The seat it is near is a seat that has wide fan jets on my back. Jets shooting on my thighs, and there is a separate diverter valve under the water line that turn the shoulder jets on or off.

There are two control valves on the top rim of the spa one on each side of the seat.  The one on the right controls the air on the fan jets and the ones shooting on my thighs.   The one on the left does absolutely nothing.  I contacted Thermospas and they said it is probably a bad valve.   The did not answer my question about what it does.  They told me if I want to replace it myself they would send me a new part free of charge or the can send a service tech taht will probably cost me between $200 and $250.

I need to know what it does to see if I would bother replacing it.  Also,  Is this a things that commonly goes wrong in hot tubs?

Here is the instructions they gave me to replace it.

You first would have to remove all of the clamps and hoses from the manifold.  You then would need to remove the manifold from the bottom of the control valve by either cutting or snapping it off. Can you please tell me how many ports the manifold is?  I want to make sure I get you the correct manifold as it may indeed need to be replaced after removing it from the control valve.  There is then a nut that you will have to screw onto the control valve to keep it tight to the acrylic.  You will have to turn the nut counter-clockwise until it comes off of the control valve.  Once this is done you can then pull the handle of the control valve (round knob) up and out of the acrylic.  You then will have to place the new control valve down through the hole in the acrylic and screw the nut onto the bottom of the control valve until it is tight (there is a gasket on the control valve so no silicone is needed).  The manifold is a spigot type manifold so you will have to put a bit of blue plumbers glue on the inside of the control valve as well as the outside of the manifold.  You then push the manifold into the control valve and allow it to dry.  Once the manifold is dry, you can then replace the hoses and clamps and you will be all set.  The back of the manifold will already be plugged so you will not have to worry about that.  Please email me back to let me know how many ports the manifold is so I can make sure I get you the correct one.

What do you think the valve does and do you think I should try and do it myself?

Here is the photo.

Hot Tub Forum

So what does this valve do???
« on: June 27, 2008, 08:05:57 pm »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Re: So what does this valve do???
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 11:31:53 pm »
Benny, I didn't have time to read the entire message. Have you called your brother? He should know what it did when it was new. Did you get an owners manual with the spa?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 12:08:01 am »
$250 to replace an air valve? Wow, I'm in the wrong business!!

Oh -

wait .....

Never mind.

Sorry.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

benalexe

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 04:13:44 am »
Benny, I didn't have time to read the entire message. Have you called your brother? He should know what it did when it was new. Did you get an owners manual with the spa?

My brother went in the hot tub 3 times in his life...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 04:13:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42