What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I guess we all dream of a fox in the tub...but  (Read 4389 times)

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
I guess we all dream of a fox in the tub...but
« on: June 21, 2008, 06:21:06 pm »
I guess we all dream of having "a fox" in the tub...but...well...not this kind of fox!
 :o

Amador County, CA

[size=18]Fox attacks Pine Grove man in hot tub[/size]

Thursday, June 19, 2008

By Bethany A. Monk

Foxes, like this one in the care of Tri-County Wildlife, are normally shy creatures that
help keep down rodent populations and don't normally carry rabies.

Eldon Batzold of Pine Grove was doing his normal early morning routine last week -
a nice soak in the hot tub with a good book at 6 a.m. - when a grey fox
jumped in and attacked him

"So, I'm reading a book, and only half of the hot tub lid is unfolded," he told
the Ledger Dispatch Thursday afternoon, the same day the incident occurred.
"Out of the corner of my eye, I see kind of a grey color," he said. "I have a
couple of cats. They get up on the tub, so I didn't think much."

Next thing he knew, he turned around and saw a fox in the hot tub with him.
"I reached out with my hand to keep it away from me and it latched onto my wrist
."

Batzold said he was surprised the fox "didn't just go away." He had to put up a fight
to get his hand free, and finally, "it just kind of walked away. It strolled off like it was a
normally strolling fox."

After getting attacked, Batzold grabbed a garden hoe and went looking for the fox, which
he never found.

Batzold and his wife, Roberta Slovick, then went to the hospital where he got his
wound cleaned and stitched up. Dr. Bob Hartmann from the Amador County Department
of Public Health talked to Batzold about rabies and the possibility that he was attacked by
a rabid fox. "'If you get it, you die,'" he remembered Hartmann saying of rabies.
Hartmann talked to him about rabies vaccinations and their success rate. To be safe,
Batzold decided to get the vaccinations. And after getting five shots, he and his wife went home.

The fox that attacked Batzold may have been rabid, said public health Director Angel LeSage,
who described the animal's behavior as unusual.

"We haven't had any rabid foxes reported in 11 years," LeSage added. "That doesn't mean
there isn't some rabies in that population. But there are other diseases that make animals wacko."

"We have noticed that foxes are around all the time" in their neighborhood, about 3 miles off
Highway 88, Batzold said. "But they aren't intimidated by humans at all. They'll look up and
see you and just continue on. They don't get defensible or aggressive."

"For that to happen is incredibly unique," LeSage said. "Humans and foxes tend not to cross,"
she added, calling foxes "reclusive."

In April, there were three reported rabid skunks in the county, she said, which was a high number.
There have not been any other reports of rabid skunks in Amador County since then.

Rabies is a virus that is spread through the saliva of a rabid animal, according to a "Preventing Rabies"
pamphlet produced by Chiron. The virus may also get into the body via open cuts or wounds, or through
the eyes, nose or mouth. Animals that may carry the virus include raccoons, skunks, foxes, coyotes,
woodchucks and bats. Domestic animals like dogs, cats, ferrets and farm animals can get rabies from
wild animals that carry the virus. Pets should be vaccinated regularly by a veterinarian to prevent rabies.

"It's extremely unusual behavior for a fox," said Susan Manning, director of Tri-County Wildlife care.
"They're usually most active in the evening," she said of foxes, calling them "shy" animals. They're
only 12 to 15 pounds and are great to have around ranches and barns, she said, because they "keep
down the small rodents."

It isn't that common for foxes to carry rabies, Manning said, when asked if she though the fox that
attacked Batzold may have been rabid. "But as a meat eater, it's a possibility."

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 06:24:48 pm by Zep »

Hot Tub Forum

I guess we all dream of a fox in the tub...but
« on: June 21, 2008, 06:21:06 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: I guess we all dream of a fox in the tub...but
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 07:30:07 pm »
I hate it when that happens.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Saved by Grace

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 09:23:09 pm »
Time to shoot the raccoon that is robbing our bird feeders.  They're aweful close to our tub....

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 09:40:30 pm »
Nooooo :'(..don't shoot the poor raccoon.. I have your solution..honest and it works.  Drew told me about this motion sensor contraption that hooks to your hose. When it senses motion or body heat, it sprays like crazy. It's called a Scare Crow and it really works. I bought two. I hooked one out front because I am sick of my neighbor's dog messing all over my front yard. I haven't seen him since I hooked it up. The second one is the real test because it is in the garden. We have deer, groundhogs and rabbits. Last year the only thing left in my garden was my hot peppers..they devoured everything, but with the scare crow, they haven't touched a thing this year! It even keeps my cat away from my bird feeders!!
http://www.nixalite.com/scarecrow.aspx?gclid=COiF1Ij2hpQCFQWxsgod_E75Ww Please don't shoot Ricky ... :(
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Saved by Grace

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 09:46:00 pm »
OK, you've saved the raccoon.  ::)

But if it jumps in the tub with us it's dead meat. ;)

shortspark

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 07:29:41 am »
This almost happened to me a few years ago.  I live way out in the country and there is every sort of critter out here.  One morning I was having a soak and I saw a red fox come up on my deck and walk right to my tub.  I thought he was just going around it, sort of taking a short cut to wherever he was going.  Then, I saw him head back the way he came but he had one of my slippers in his mouth.  I shouted at him but he kept on going.  The next morning he came right back, probably looking for the slippers mate but I shooed him away.

Speaking of coons, I think I have a problem with them too.  I keep hummingbird feeders up this time of year and now I have to take them down at night because something (I think a coon) is climbing up at night and drinking them dry.  I thought at first it must be bats because the feeders were not disturbed, only empty.  I place a couple where a coon could not possibly climb and sure enough they were not touched.  I need to get one of those game cameras and see for sure what this critter might be.

Saved by Grace

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 10:37:46 am »

Speaking of coons, I think I have a problem with them too.  I keep hummingbird feeders up this time of year and now I have to take them down at night because something (I think a coon) is climbing up at night and drinking them dry.  I thought at first it must be bats because the feeders were not disturbed, only empty.  I place a couple where a coon could not possibly climb and sure enough they were not touched.  I need to get one of those game cameras and see for sure what this critter might be.

We have the same problem with our hummingbird feeders.

I'll have to watch our slippers from now on.  Thanks for the heads up....  :o :o :o

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 12:28:29 pm »
Kind of doubt that coons would be your humming bird feeder robbers. They have great manipulation skills and would probably pull the feeders down and make a big mess. that is a puzzle to me too... :-/

I put a door in my garage for the stray cat that has now adopted us and it appears that she occasionally has a visitor that makes a huge mess of her food and water...I thought it was a coon also, but instead discovered it was a very mangy fox. He has been visiting quite a bit....I have talked to a local wildlife rehab person and will get ivermictin to treat his mange..I know this all sounds nuts, but these guys are part of the enjoyment of my yard..and I just love quietly soaking and watching them go about their business.

I have been working for months on rebulding my fish pond so that it is more visible from our tub. I moved the waterfall and enlarged it a bit. When I am done, I will post pictures. So I am doing all this work to encourage the critters...and as much as I love them, they ARE NOT INVITED IN MY TUB  ;D ;D

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 02:32:48 pm »
Please don't shoot Ricky ... :(

That would be "Rocky" if you are a Beatles fan... 8-)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 04:23:56 pm »
Yep, your right...I guess Ricky is a Mongoose...don't shoot him either

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 05:06:28 pm »
OK, you've saved the raccoon.  ::)

But if it jumps in the tub with us it's dead tasty meat, if prepared properly. ;)

Term Yum Yum Eatemup!
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

SpaMan_is_Back

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 07:47:21 pm »

I had this happen to me too. :-/
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 07:47:49 pm by SpaMan_is_Back »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 07:54:34 pm »
I guess as we encroach more and more onto their territory, this will become more frequent.

My son has an airsoft gun and aI wonder if shooting these creatures with it a a far enough distance to not seriously hurt them would disuade these creatures from coming back. I've seen TV programs that show game people making lots of noise and shooting bears with rubber bullets to scare them away from populated areas.

Although I own a dog and she loves to chase everything in the yard ... possibly eating it if she caught it (she has brought us "presents" and I believe that before we got her we had moles, not anymore) maybe I should get a Timberwolf to protect my family from these critters!!! Always wanted one!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 07:54:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42