What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tech Help!  (Read 4750 times)

In Canada eh

Tech Help!
« on: June 13, 2008, 05:24:40 pm »
Last night when I was shocking the tub I heard a grinding noise coming from the pump,  I shut the pump down right away and started to think about what it could be.  Tub is only 2 years old so I didn't think it was the bearings starting to fail.  I removed the filter to find only one of the stand-off "sticks" to the N2 cartridge in place CRAP!!!!!

So far to this point I love the N2 stuff, water has been a lot easier to manage and I have gone though a lot less chlorine while using it but I don't like this at all >:(

My question is do any of the techs from this site have any ideas on how to get it out? Its sounds like its stuck in the impeller and the only way I can think of is to drain the tub and undo the union at the pump.  My dealer says they can send out their service tech but he can't make it until Wednesday, however,  they will cover or eat the charge ( I really do have a great dealer) but I was wondering if anyone had a quick idea I could do myself.
Bullfrog 451

Hot Tub Forum

Tech Help!
« on: June 13, 2008, 05:24:40 pm »

benalexe

Re: Tech Help!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 09:03:46 pm »
How about a long nose pliers?

In Canada eh

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 09:17:55 pm »
How about a long nose pliers?

I looked down the intake line and can't see the "stick" so I don't think pliers would work.

Thanks for the attempt though.  Looks like I will drain and take the pump out to get to it tomorrow.
Bullfrog 451

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 09:33:17 pm »
I'm no spa technician but I might try a cheap drain snake. You can get a 15 foot one at Lowe's for like $9.00. It has a little hook on the end of the spiral. You might get lucky putting it down the tube until it stops then turn the crank a couple of times and then pull it out to see if you snagged it. Remember my disclaimer: I'm not a spa technician.....

Scott  :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 12:38:06 am by Swell-Tub »
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Helios

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 09:55:07 pm »
Does your tub have gate valves that you can close so that you can get the pump out without draining the tub?
“Stupidity is not a crime…so you’re free to go”

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 03:23:34 am »
start a siphon with a large hose - such as a pool vac hose - and see if the reverse flow can pull the stick back the same way it went in.

Shop vac hose could work in a pinch.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

In Canada eh

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 08:53:19 am »
Thanks for the replies.  I will try the shop vac idea first before trying to take the pump out
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 08:53:47 am by Confused_in_Canada »
Bullfrog 451

In Canada eh

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 12:26:26 pm »
Chas,

Thanks for the shop vac idea!

I drained the water down below the filter compartment then used the shop vac to suck out the line leading to the pump and voila out came the offending "stick".  There doesn't appear to be any damage and the pump seems fine.

Thanks again :)
Bullfrog 451

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 01:05:32 pm »
I love it when a plan comes together.....
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 09:29:14 pm »
that is cool

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 07:48:10 pm »
ICE,

Sorry it took me so long to get to this thread (been at hospital welcoming the newest N).

Glad to hear you got the problem solved with no issues.

Just a heads up - your equipment warranty is blame-free, so you could have had a tech remove the stick and inspect for damage at no charge.

Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

kacrab10

• 2004 Sundance Optima
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 09:52:11 pm »
Congrats on the newest "N" was it a boy N or girl N?   :)

In Canada eh

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 07:24:45 am »
ICE,

Sorry it took me so long to get to this thread (been at hospital welcoming the newest N).

Glad to hear you got the problem solved with no issues.

Just a heads up - your equipment warranty is blame-free, so you could have had a tech remove the stick and inspect for damage at no charge.

BauerN,

My dealer did say they would send a tech out at no charge but he couldn't make it until Wednesday.  I really didn't want to wait that long and figured someone here would have a "quickie" idea on how to get the stick out.  All turned out well the stick is out, my dealer didn't have to send someone out and I got to use the tub.

Congrats on the new addition to your family, you can mail out cigars to everyone now!! ;D
Bullfrog 451

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 05:37:10 pm »
The newest "N" is a boy (which is awesome - we have 2 girls already).  His name is Brendan, he and his mother are both doing great.  He's a bit of a "black sheep" already, as he doesn't fuss or make noise very often at all (the rest of us are constant whiners).

;)

Has Term had his yet?

Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 05:44:23 pm »
The newest "N" is a boy (which is awesome - we have 2 girls already).  His name is Brendan, he and his mother are both doing great.  He's a bit of a "black sheep" already, as he doesn't fuss or make noise very often at all (the rest of us are constant whiners).

;)

Has Term had his yet?

Yes sir, we were a couple of days behind ya'll.  Congratulations on your newest addition.  It is blatantly obvious that spa sellin' men are of the most virile nature!

Term
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 05:44:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42