What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Drained tub: what cleaners and how to keep safe?  (Read 1517 times)

snoopydance

Drained tub: what cleaners and how to keep safe?
« on: June 20, 2008, 08:35:48 am »
My new (used) hot tub arrived yesterday!!! It is now sitting in the driveway with its cabinet panels off (to help with moving) awaiting the second move to the pad I'm vigorously working on.

1. The tub was drained by the previous owner about a week ago. It's about 4 years old. It's in very good shape, but I want to wipe down the inside with a good cleaner and hit some of the jet recesses witha toothbrush and a good cleaner (some residual brown scum). What should I use?

2. I just read in the other thread (the person with the floaties) that you should take the filters out of a drained and sitting tub because nasties can grow quickly. That makes sense and I'll do so today. I'm going to start with fresh filters anyway, but I'll take these out to give the bacteria less opportunity.

What else should I be doing while it sits? It may be a week or two...

Also, when I fill it, should I do a major flush and drain it right away? I want to start off right. It's my first tub! And I'm so excited!!

Hot Tub Forum

Drained tub: what cleaners and how to keep safe?
« on: June 20, 2008, 08:35:48 am »

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
Re: Drained tub: what cleaners and how to keep saf
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 12:24:39 pm »
I personally would fill and run swirl away or some type of spa plumbing line cleaner through it since you say you can see some brown scum. What can't you see??. This will help clean out the gunk that may have built up in the lines over the past few years, plus I am a bit squimish about other peoples "remnants" :o in the tub. I would also pull all the jets out and clean them individually. Most tubs the jets can be turned and popped out. Make sure to clean under pillows and backside of cover.

After cleaning all up, when you refill it I would give it a super dose of sanitizer.

When we recondition a used tub to sell, we do the whole decontanimation process to be safe for the next owner.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Drained tub: what cleaners and how to keep saf
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 12:24:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42