What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need advice on how to negotiate  (Read 6881 times)

Cdn HockeyPuck

• '08 Artesian Platinum Cypress Point'
Need advice on how to negotiate
« on: June 18, 2008, 01:25:55 pm »
Hi All,
I'm looking at purchasing my first hot tub and was looking at advice on how to negotiate the price.

It seems like all hot tubs are on sale all the time so I think this is a trick.
How to do you get it down from there?
Do you first start of with a counter offer or do you ask them what's the best they'll do?

Any advice will do, thanks for the replies.
Dave

"The needs of many great soaks out way the needs of a few... or the one."

Hot Tub Forum

Need advice on how to negotiate
« on: June 18, 2008, 01:25:55 pm »

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
Re: Need advice on how to negotiate
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 01:40:14 pm »
All dealers have to do different things.they each have different overhead and costs to cover. Some may mark them with a little wiggle room, some may be at their lowest price. As a dealer I can tell you a few different things that may help.

If you don't want the coverlift, start up chemicals or stairs, will they reduce the price??

If you pay by cash or check since they won't have the charge card processing fees.

I you willing to pick it up and deliver it yourself?

leftovers or floor models may be reduced in price.

Hopefully this will give you a start. Also look for a dealer that has s good customer service reputation. This may be worth a few hundred dollars in the future!
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 02:28:40 pm »
Since most spa dealers have like 100 -200% markup in their tubs you should be able to negotiate a great price (I kid, I kid).

Here is what I found is that the more experienced and established dealers will be higher on their prices but they may be worth it because they will help you before and after the sale. The newer dealers will give better prices but might not be able to support you after the sale. So that being said I went with a new dealer who had a great price. They have been great to deal with and they use a Spa service center which most dealers use anyway.

I would recommend you stay with the major brands. Wet test what is in your price range and find the best tub that fits your needs. After that exercise I would check out both the dealers and their service providers. Then after they give you a price, walk away and come back another day. You don't always get the best price on the first visit.

My 2 cents worth and good luck,
Scott  ;)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Cdn HockeyPuck

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 02:37:13 pm »
Thanks, I'm new at this and don't really know how this business works and I can appreciate the dealer having to make money, it's the only reason to be in business. As a consumer I want to feel I got a good deal without finding out later the price I got was too high. If that happened, I would never recommend the dealer to any of my friends who are also looking for a hot tub.

My comment about "It seems like all hot tubs are on sale all the time so I think this is a trick." is because this is all I've seen, is it the time of year? I've been to at least 10 places. Is there a better time of year to buy?

More questions I have to anyone...
Would a dealer be more likely to throw in extras like lights or ozone or other features than to offer a better price?

Did you agree on the price on your first visit to the dealer or did it take more than 1 visit?
Dave

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 02:37:52 pm »
Hi All,

Do you first start of with a counter offer or do you ask them what's the best they'll do?

I'd do the latter to start with. You need to sound serious about purchasing IF the right deal is offered while being polite and business like (the pushy "I know this is a scam, I'm a wheeler dealer too" attitude often times is counterproductive). The more you seem like business the more they'll seriously consider making you an offer you'll accept. You can certainly then counter to see if you can do a little better. You keep asking until its obvious they will go no further.

At a point where they won't budge on price one way to get a final sweetener is to instead ask for some store credit (always useful for chems, accessories, etc.). It's MUCH more palatable for them to give you $200 store credit than it is for them to lower the price $200. In fact, if they said “we’ll lower it $200 more but that’s our final offer” I’d probably counter with “instead of lowering it $200 give me $300 store credit”  and that way I can upgrade the lifter, get spare N2 cartridges, extra chems, Mr. T rubber duck, etc.

BTW, yeah they can be on sale all the time at some places but usually there are a few times where they're further marked down. Go visit now and write down prices on ones you like. Go back 4th of July weekend and see if they're really looking to deal as that is a big weekend for spa sales and some dealers really look to move product then.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 02:41:47 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 02:50:43 pm »
I had one dealer I visited about 4 times and his price dropped $3K over that time. The dealer I bought from gave me their best price the first time and I went back about three times and the price didn't change. I put the price out here on this forum and was told it was a good deal so I took it.

I live in Vegas and the Spa dealers tend to deal best during the summer because sales drop when it is 117 degrees outside. Also they tend to have models left over from last year that they want to move. So I would guess that different parts of the country have different slow times.

All the dealers have sales prices or they have a MRSP price crossed out and a new sale or lower price below it. It is part of the motivation to but it now. Don't let that persuade you to buy right then. If they sell it they have another one in the warehouse that will take it'e place. The only exception will be floor models or last years leftovers.

Anyway, have fun with your new journey and take your time and get the right tub at the right price. It's not like they are easy to return if you get the wrong one.

Scott  ;)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Cdn HockeyPuck

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 04:18:03 pm »
Thanks Scott,
Did you have the 2 dealers compete on price by letting them know what you can get the other competing brand for?
Dave

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 06:00:45 pm »
Thanks Scott,
Did you have the 2 dealers compete on price by letting them know what you can get the other competing brand for?
I didn't give exact details I just said for $500 less I can get another brand that fits my needs. The real exercise comes down to finding a couple of tubs that both will serve you well. Then find out which has the best deal and which has the best customer service.

Scott  ;)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

spalader

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 09:02:09 pm »
I just went through the same process.  There are 3 dealers in my area that all have fairly good reputations.  The two that we visited more than once were very consistent with their prices - that is, the hot tub price did not change from visit to visit.  The one we went with had a manufacturer's sale going (12 month no interest financing, same as cash), a $200 credit if you request info online, and the  dealer offered to split the cost of the lighting option and was including 6 months of chemicals as well.  Check out the brands web site for offers.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 11:19:36 pm »
WOW! I was going to jump all over this one but the responses you have received are all excellent. Way to go group!  ;)

To add one last thing to really get down to the nitty gritty if you feel the price on the tub you want is still too high, tell them you have a deposit on a tub down the road... We HATE that as dealers and love to steal sales away! ;D Not that I ever did....  ::)

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 08:28:50 am »
"the pushy "I know this is a scam, I'm a wheeler dealer too" attitude often times is counterproductive"

Now thats funny spatech!.....but very true.

Along that same line when I buy a car or something like a hot tub I always inform the seller that "I am serious, not a tire-kicker, and I will be making a purchase from someone within the next 2 weeks".....this lets a seller know they have a real sale in the making, it lets the seller know you are shopping the competition, and that they should make their best offer or lose a sale.

But like someone said earlier, price isnt everything. Saving $200 at the point of purchase but ending up with a less than great dealer for future help and servicing isn't worth it. If you were having surgery would you just want the cheapest doctor?

Cdn HockeyPuck

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 09:37:04 am »
Thanks to everyone, this is all very helpful.

To any dealers, is there anything that annoys you with customers when haggling over price?
To any consumers, have you noticed anything you've done that annoys the dealer?

I'm trying to make this as pleasant an experience as possible where everyone can come out satisfied.
Dave

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 11:26:37 am »
I'm not in the spa business but my best customers are the ones who know what they want and what they are willing to pay. If I can serve them then that is great, if not then they can find a better arrangement somewhere else.

When I'm a customer I don't want the seller to sell at a loss or they will not be there the next time I want to do business. On the other hand I don't want them to make so much profit on me that they can go out and buy a new Mercedes and a box of cuban cigars.

A little research will let you know what a fair deal is for both you and the seller.

Good Luck,
Scott
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Calypso

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 01:28:06 pm »
I always say that honesty is the best policy. Wet test a bunch of tubs to narrow down the field a little bit and then see what the dealers can do for you.

When we first went into the dealer we had called first to make sure the model we had in mind was available for a wet test. We were up front with the dealer and told them we were going to wet test a bunch of spas and then narrow it down to 2 or 3 spas. The dealers gave us initial pricing and advised us they could throw in things such as cover lifters, ozone steps etc. In other words they would negotiate. We wet tested Sundance, Beachcomber and Pacific 2 times and when we went back to these places we negotiated final pricing.

Based on the prices I saw on this forum I believe we got pretty good prices the first time round as the dealers knew we were looking around. In the final negotiations Sundance offered 2008 spas at 2007 prices and threw in the stairs ozone and cover lifter. Beachcomber gave us a lot of the add ons at no cost. We settled on the Pacific Calypso as the dealer offered us the wet test model at a price we could not refuse. The Pacific also fit us best which ultimately  influenced our final decision. the pacific with all of the bell and whistles was actually the most expensive out of the final 3

We were honest with the dealers and for example advised Beachcomber that Sundance was lower (no pricing given) but we did like the Beachcomber so what could they do for us. Most of the dealers seemed to know of each other and also roughly know what the competition pricing is. If they think they will loose a sale they offer store credits, reduced prices on options as this does not cost them as much as reducing the base price of the spa itself.

If you are honest and fair with the dealers most will be honest and fair with you. We met very nice people during our wet tests and admit that spa dealers are the nicest sales people we met. Considering the price of a spa we thought we would be dealing with a car salesman approach but we were definately proven wrong

Good luck

2007 Pacific Calypso

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 01:34:43 pm »
Thanks to everyone, this is all very helpful.

To any dealers, is there anything that annoys you with customers when haggling over price?
quote]

"My brother has a tub with leg jets , shoulder jets and a foot dome with jets and lights and 4 pumps and stereo ect, ect

I want a tub like that" as you are showing them the tub they inform you..."I only have $3000.00 to spend because I went over budget" as you explain to them that $3000.00 is not going to get them the tub they described (or much of any tub!) thye start back with..."but I have to have all this, I love my brothers tub, it has......

Have a realistic view of the price range of the tubs with the features you want are, other than that we love our customers to ask questions. The more the better. The more eduacted you become as a customer, the better customer you are to us, at least IMO. I get very few calls from my eduacted customers.....many calls from angry customers that purchased their tub elsewhere and were not educated in any aspect of it..........but they saved$$$$$$ :o
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 01:34:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42