What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bromine Frog Question  (Read 2431 times)

JackVa1

Bromine Frog Question
« on: June 12, 2008, 04:49:59 pm »
Our Caldera is just a few months old. Jut two of us use it three days a week.

I just changed the cartridge and it seemed to still have some in it after 6 weeks. It was set to number 4 . The cartridge suggests starting with number 3 and our levels were fine at 4 , but 6 weeks????

I was told to change this every month so I finally changed it, but what gives?

My ppg has always read good based on the strip test.

Also - does the weekly "shock " affect this reading? It seemed high after my shock last week.

Thanks for any information.

Hot Tub Forum

Bromine Frog Question
« on: June 12, 2008, 04:49:59 pm »

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
Re: Bromine Frog Question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 11:05:34 am »
I answered you an the other forum too....

Why change the cartridge if you still had bromine? You are a lucky one that does not chew up a lot of bromine...enjoy that.

When you shock it re-establishes the bromine. The used up bromine becomes good again, that why you have a high reading after shocking, this super sanitizes the spa and oxidizes wastes.

You may find as time goes befor your next water change that you have to turn the feeder down since it continues to put fresh bromine in the tub and if it is not getting used up your bromine levels will creep, specially when you shock and re-establish the bromine thats all ready in the water.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 08:57:17 am »
JackVa1,
If there's still bromine in it, don't remove it. And if it's the sales person who told you to change it every month then they're just trying to generate some revenue!

Personally, I haven't bought a bromine cartridge for my frog system in a couple of years. I have the early version of the King Technology cartridges that have a removable top. When it gets low, I just refill the cartridge with 1" bromine tablets. The cartridge is a little discolored but other than that, it's working fine.

Anyway, replace it only when it's near empty and save yourself some $$$

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 08:57:17 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42