What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Swell-Tub's New Spa Search  (Read 77045 times)

Tailhooker

Re: Swell-Tub's New Spa Search
« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2008, 09:14:36 pm »
So today I wet tested 2 tub's. Jacuzzi J-465 and a J-345. The J-465 had too many jets for the 2 motors and the family members thought it was a boring tub with weak jet action. The J-345 had less jets so we got better pressure and my son-in-law didn't want to get out of it.

So like the three bears, the Hot Springs Envoy was too weak. The Coast Spa Radiance was too strong. Maybe the Jacuzzi is just right. If we go with Jacuzzi we would probally order the J-365.

I'm thinking we may need to retest the Coast Spa and try the Artesian Piper Glen.

That's it for now....
Scott  ;)
Scott, did you really notice that much difference between the 400 and the 300 series?   Is the difference or lack of features of the 300 still make you consider it compared to the 400?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2008, 09:14:36 pm »

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2008, 12:29:45 am »
Scott, did you really notice that much difference between the 400 and the 300 series?   Is the difference or lack of features of the 300 still make you consider it compared to the 400?

Yes there was quite a difference between the two tubs. The 300 had better pressure than the 400. Also there was a $3500 difference in costs. So for less money we got better performance. BTW I didn't see any more features on the 400 over the 300.

Another thing that was missing was any neck jets and my neck is one of the major reasons for a spa. Coast Spa still has the best jet action and great above the water neck jets. I really like the quality appearance and finish of the Jacuzzi spa.

So at this point I am down to 2 spas. Either the Jacuzzi J-365 or the Coast Spa Radiance. My co-worker tells me I need to come over to his house and try his Dynasty. He use to sell spas and swears by Dynasty and he didn't even sell the brand.

Scott  :)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2008, 01:07:34 pm »
 The J-465 is the worst of the 400 line and does not do justice to the 480 or 470, I sold a J-465 last week at a discount to get rid of it, I have one left when its gone we will order no more unless someone really wants it.

If they will fire off a J-470 it would be worth a try.  For the price though the J-365 is very nice!

The J-365 is very similar to the J-345 basically a larger version with a foot dome.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2008, 01:12:52 pm »
The J-465 is the worst of the 400 line and does not do justice to the 480 or 470, I sold a J-465 last week at a discount to get rid of it, I have one left when its gone we will order no more unless someone really wants it.

Wow, what would you change about the 465 to address the lower rating you give it?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 04:09:02 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

IL Parrothead

• Owner of 2008 Marquis Epic #2
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2008, 02:12:03 pm »
I'd concur with Jim.  I tested a 480, and it was pretty sweet!   :P
Mike

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2008, 02:39:11 pm »

Wow, what would you change about the 465 to address the lower rating you give it?

To start with, only 1 diverter hndl in a 2 pump spa fine in some, but for 9 grand I would want 2, 2nd the lounge is great for tall people about the only thing I do like about it, but the other seats are not deep enough for average height people, I am 6'2 and I sit way to high in the back 2 seats. Those are just a few of the  gripes I have with the J-465.
  I will usually sell them the J-470, J-375 or the J-365.  Whats strange is the J-470 is the same height 38 to 44" in the back, but I sit way different in the seats of a J-470 (which is my favorite) than the J-465.

Tailhooker

« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2008, 08:26:04 pm »

To start with, only 1 diverter hndl in a 2 pump spa fine in some, but for 9 grand I would want 2, 2nd the lounge is great for tall people about the only thing I do like about it, but the other seats are not deep enough for average height people, I am 6'2 and I sit way to high in the back 2 seats. Those are just a few of the  gripes I have with the J-465.
  I will usually sell them the J-470, J-375 or the J-365.  Whats strange is the J-470 is the same height 38 to 44" in the back, but I sit way different in the seats of a J-470 (which is my favorite) than the J-465.
Been looking at the 480 and was wondering if the power was better on that then the 465?  I'm about 6'4" and I really want a large lounger with good therapy.  Anyone got a ballpark figure for the 480 and 470 with and without bells and whistles?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 08:28:26 pm by Tailhooker »

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2008, 12:55:25 am »
Jim,
So what do you get on a 400 series that increases the price like $3500 over a 300 series?

Here is my problem. I did not like the Hot Springs (sorry to all you Hot Spring fans). I did like the Caldera however.

Anyway I like the nice finish and quality appearance of the Jacuzzi and I am leaning it that direction, however it is like a whole different world when you step into a Coast Spa. The J-465 had a very nice lounger because I could lock my feet under the foot jets to keep me from going top side. However the J-465 had very boring action and I liked the individual flip switches on the J-345 that turned the seats on and off. The advantage is that once you get the tub setup the way you like it, you only need to flip the switch when you want to sit in that seat.

Now for the Coast Spa. It has so much power in reserve that you can get as much or as little jet action as you want. I know there is a debate on this site about actual HP ratings but that doesn't really matter because at the end of the day it is the jet action that matters and Coast Spa is king in this arena (IMHO).

I need some good neck action for this spa to be effective for me. The only spa with above water neck jets that I have wet tested so far is the Coast Spa. So I keep thinking maybe the Coast Spa would be my best choice. If Jacuzzi had neck jets and a floor volcano with some high volume pumps I would be in business. My co-worker tells me he has the perfect spa for me. It is a Dynasty but we don't have any Dynasty dealers here in Las Vegas. About 2/3 of the spa dealers have gone out of business here in Vegas the last couple of years.

Scott  ;)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 11:58:55 pm by Swell-Tub »
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Tailhooker

« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2008, 11:39:47 am »
Jim,
So what do you get on a 400 series that increases the price like $3500 over a 300 series?

Here is my problem. I did not like the Hot Springs (sorry to all you Hot Spring fans). I did like the Caldera however.

Anyway I like the nice finish and quality appearance of the Jacuzzi and I am leaning it that direction, however it is like a whole different world when you step into a Coast Spa. The J-465 had a very nice lounger because I could lock my feet under the foot jets to keep me from going top side. However the J-465 had very boring action and I liked the individual flip switches on the J-345 that turned the seats on and off. The advantage is that once you get the tub setup the way you like it, you only need to flip the switch when you want to sit in that seat.

Now for the Coast Spa. It has so much power in reserve that you cab get as much or as little jet action as you want. I know there is a debate on this site about actual HP ratings but that doesn't really matter because at the end of the day it is the jet action that matters and Coast Spa is king in this arena (IMHO).

I need some good neck action for this spa to be effective for me. The only spa with above water neck jets that I have wet tested so far is the Coast Spa. So I keep thinking maybe the Coast Spa would be my best choice. If Jacuzzi had neck jets and a floor volcano with some high volume pumps I would be in business. My co-worker tells me he has the perfect spa for me. It is a Dynasty but we don't have any Dynasty dealers here in Las Vegas. About 2/3 of the spa dealers have gone out of business here in Vegas the last couple of years.

Scott  ;)
How was the Caldera neck jets, I hear that the collar is pretty good?

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2008, 04:56:48 pm »
So I will post my adventures as I seek out a new spa. So far I put money down on a Coast Spa Radiance and loved the tub from a dry test only. Well I did stick my arm in it and it felt great. It had 3 - 5 hp motors in it with led lights and a cool waterfall. Also the sound system with sub-woofer, equilizer, and floating remote was cool. Then I started to hear lack of support issues and parts from Canada were a problem. Also they enclose the plumbing in foam which make repairs difficult. So I cancelled the order and gave up my deposit.

Next I went to a Hot Springs dealer and they only had 4 tubs on the floor and only one was wet. The wet one was a Caldera and it seemed under powered. Again this was based on only a arm test and the dealer said that while the design saved power it did not allow for all jets to be run at the same time.

I looked into an Elite and Dynasty but this forum told me that both had problems and poor support. I haven't seen one yet but I have a co-worker who has a Dynasty and he uses it twice a day every day for several years now and he loves his but wants a bigger tub. He says his 8X8 is not large enough to stretch out in.

What I want is a spa that has quality, support, great performance, and ease of operation. I want to come home at night and go out the french doors of my master bedroom and climb into a nice relaxing experience. Then other than chemicals and some light maintainance. I don't want to think about it much. I also want a nice waterfall with lights to watch from my bedroom at nights. LEDs seem to be the ticket because they last a long time and provide bright colors. I would like to stay around $10K or less but I was going to spend $15K for the Coast Spa out the door.

I'm going to try to find the new Jacuzzi dealer here in Vegas and see what they have to offer. Also Renee is closing a store and I hear they have some great deals on last years Hot Springs. Next weekend is a Spa show here in Vegas and I might attend that as well. What I don't want is 900 lbs of trouble in my backyard. I'm sure used spas are not easy to get rid of. While I was house hunting here in Vegas last year I saw several properties with empty Spas in the backyard that appeared to be large boat anchors for the home.

If all tubs are nothing but an income for the repairman then I will continue to just soak in my bathtub at nights. Anyway I will keep you all posted on my Spa adventure and see where it ends. I have appreciated most of the advice I have gotten from this forum so far.

Thanks,
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2008, 05:16:10 pm »
Hi!!  I am new at this so please bear with me.  

So far our experiences in spa seeking have been bad/hilarious to great!!  Here is what we looked at so far:

We looked at Viking/Destiny River at a local "big box" store.  We thought it was everything we wanted until we looked further.  At this same store, they sell Sundance and Cal Spas--neither were comfortable, but were great looking.  That store had the most ridiculous salesman :o :P!!

Further down the same highway, we ran into a Caldera/Coleman dealer.  We loved the Aspire on the floor and were ready to buy--but I want more leg and neck therapy that it didn't offer.  One of the best salesman ever!!  Great rep!! ;D

Next--further down the same road--we checked out an Arctic and Dynasty dealer--Arctics are great; we like more lights and different cabinetry.  Our friends have one and have small issues with the pillows and some other small things, but love it.  Dealer experience thus far is great!!  They are willing to deal.  We were concerned b/c of the less-than-great comments, but we like the Caspain 55 as it is roomy and has extras and the jets are where I like them.  We do plan a wet test.  (the dealer is ordering one in colors I want with no obligation so I can see it and wet test!!) ;)

A little further down the road--we looked at one more dealer (stopped on the way at someone who sells Hydrospas--looked great on line--TERRIBLE dry test--I felt every jet!!)  at someone who sells Clearwater and Raindance, tried a Clearwater Orlando dry (the $13,500+ spa) b/c we liked the seats--but the dealer didn't fill it--we wet-tested a "similar" model, but they don't seem to want to budge to make a sale.  I think we will not be going back there.  

We couldn't even find the Bullfrog dealer--we have seen mixed reviews--since the business seems to state hours of operation but no one is there----so....

I think at this point the Dynasty is where we are going to go.  THe dealer has DEFINATELY made a great impression, and that is half the battle.

Of note--we did look at a D1 Amore Bay--don't like the "barrier free" seating. :P

I will keep all posted on what we decide.  
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2008, 12:02:55 am »
I think at this point the Dynasty is where we are going to go.  THe dealer has DEFINATELY made a great impression, and that is half the battle.
So which Dynasty model are you looking at?

2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2008, 12:08:33 am »
How was the Caldera neck jets, I hear that the collar is pretty good?
I have not done wet test in the Caldera but as I was looking at Hot Springs and the features on the Caldera seemed more forward looking. The same dealer sold both. I did do the arm test on a wet Caldera and it felt good.

Scott  ;)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Swell-Tub

• Scott
BullFrog?
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2008, 11:06:21 am »
So I see that I have a BullFrog dealer here in the area. Is BullFrog a high end spa? Are the jet packs a good idea?

Scott  ::)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Tailhooker

« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2008, 11:19:59 am »

Is the pressure in the 470, 480 better than in the 465?  Is the 480 deeper as well compared to the 465?  IS that $3500 price difference really worth it?  I guess the 300 doesn't have great neck jets (I think, just looking from the pictures.)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2008, 11:19:59 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42