What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: first bount with cloudy water  (Read 3055 times)

benalexe

first bount with cloudy water
« on: June 07, 2008, 12:39:30 pm »
I opened the spa today for the kids went to home depot and when I cam back the water was very cloudy!!!

I checked the chems and chlorene was very low so I threw in an ounce of dichlor.  I also but in some water clairifier.

I am running the pumps now to circulate the water.  What else should I do?

THe filters have been in for about a week and half. Is it time to clean them yet?

Hot Tub Forum

first bount with cloudy water
« on: June 07, 2008, 12:39:30 pm »

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
Re: first bount with cloudy water
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 01:41:04 pm »
Give time for the dichlor and clarifier to work, sometimes takes 24 hours. After it is cleared up, pull the filters and rinse them out to get the stuff you just collected in them out.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 01:44:37 pm »
If you had some chlorine in the tub then the cloudiness was not from lack of chlorine ... that's assuming you were reading free chlorine.

A tub without chlorine becomes cloudy from the bacteria doubling every 20 minutes.

What were the other water parameters? Did the kids have any lotions on them?

Putting in the clarifier and running the pump that filters is what needed to be done - Now you need to wait and see. BTW, since you put an ounce in your tub, you have shocked the tub so after a couple of hours, still having a chlorine residue and assuming if this was bacteria - you can use the tub ... that's provided that you can get passsed the grossness of soaking in cloudy water (FWIW, I have)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 01:54:51 pm »
  You should with all that only hit the pump that filters usually pump 1 thats a  2 spd, you don't need to run both.   When you think about it go out and hit it (the pump that is) and let it run, leave the lid open.  

Did you get a lot of nasty foam and kinda scuzzy looking stuff floating on it??

benalexe

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 02:00:26 pm »
I think I am back good to go now.

The water seems to have cleared up a lot.  When I tested the water there was very little dichlor in it.  Almost none.
So I think taht was the issue.

I still don't really fully understand the whole chemical thing. Dichlor vs shock.   When do I use what.  I also have the nature 2 in the tub.

My ozonator is currently not working I have a new one on order.

Also how often do I clean the filters?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 03:13:43 pm »

I still don't really fully understand the whole chemical thing. Dichlor vs shock.   When do I use what.  I also have the nature 2 in the tub.

My ozonator is currently not working I have a new one on order.

Also how often do I clean the filters?

This is what I tell people to do, quick and simple:

Per use:

After EACH use add 1 generous teaspoon of dichlor per person. Don't get out and think "I'll do it later", add it as you exit. Don't worry about test strip readings of dichlor, just add after each use. t will sanitize and dissipate so you will have little dichlor the next day but as long as you add EVERY time you use it you'll be in good shape. Also, if you go 3 or 4 days without using the spa add a generous teaspoon or two then as well.

Weekly:
Shock once per week with MPS.

Check Ph/Alk once per week. Adjust as necessary.

Monthly:
Clean the filters thoroughly once per month. If the spa is getting a lot of use you might take them out mid month and give it/them a 5 minute rinse.

Quarterly:
Change the N2 cartidge every 4 months. Thats also about how often you change you water (±2 months). Depending on your water source you may want to use Spa Defender (metal sequester) with every fill up. If you do, add it upon fill up but wait a day or two to install a new N2 cartridge.

I don't use clarifiers, defoamers, etc unless I absolutely have to. Its not a science project, keep it simple.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 03:15:49 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

benalexe

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 03:49:31 pm »
thanks this is really good I am going to print it out and keep it.

Why once a week MPS?  What is the difference brtween that and dichlor?

Also,  BEing that I shockec it today with dichlor - 1 ounce.  Do I still need to add a teaspoon per person we all just got out.  5 of us.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 05:50:51 pm »
There are some people who use MPS before or after soaking and dichlor once a week. Most people say the opposite use dichlor and shock with MPS once a week.

If you don't have any chlorine reading then add chlorine, if you have chlorine don't worry about it.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 05:50:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42