What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: wow this thing holds heat  (Read 3463 times)

benalexe

wow this thing holds heat
« on: June 03, 2008, 09:01:45 pm »
Wife and I went for a soak last evening.  I had the heat up to about 100.  When we were finished I turned it down to 80 and put it on economy mode.

Just check the temp and it is still at 97.  It lost almost no heat all day.  I can't believe it.

Hot Tub Forum

wow this thing holds heat
« on: June 03, 2008, 09:01:45 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: wow this thing holds heat
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 11:20:03 am »
Wife and I went for a soak last evening.  I had the heat up to about 100.  When we were finished I turned it down to 80 and put it on economy mode.

Just check the temp and it is still at 97.  It lost almost no heat all day.  I can't believe it.

Many times people have asked me whether they should turn their temp down after use and then turn it up before the go in again. I tell them if its well insulated don't bother. I suggest to them after using the spa turn the temp setting down to 90º so they know the heater isn't kicking on and go back the next day and check the temp. If the spa is well insulated it should have dropped very little overnight. Of course the true test is in wintertime but it gets the point across. Once they do this they realize how unnecessary it is to play the temp change game.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 11:48:19 am »
you will save more energy by leaving it alone and not turning down the temerature.

benalexe

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 08:47:42 pm »
you will save more energy by leaving it alone and not turning down the temerature.

i am surprised about this?  Why?

so does this negate the whole econ mode?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 12:41:00 pm »
  Most spas when left in economy mode will cool down eventually, in the summer it takes longer, but winter is another story.   Test your well insulated spa then and report back, that is if you are still hanging around here?  

It also matters how many and how long your filter cycle's are, usually in economy modes thats when the spa heater comes on is during a filter cycle, so if its going into a filter mode 3/4 times a day thats when your heater is on??
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 05:06:21 pm by Jacuzzi_Jim »

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 03:20:56 pm »
".....if your still around?"

::)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 03:35:39 pm »

I have to disagree with this at it goes against a law of physics, Newton's Law of Cooling. Additionally, a motor is most strained by turning it on. The less frequently a motor is started up, the longer it will last (saving replacement costs). There's also the added electrical costs of starting a motor (they pull LARGE amps just to start turning).

Now will any savings be noticeable? I really haven't a clue... it could be 10 cents a month, it could be 10 dollars a month... I'm sure it will differ from one spa to another though, and by Newtons law, the more poorly a spa is insulated, the more savings there should be to be had.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 03:45:02 pm »
".....if your still around?"

::)

Their I changed it so he doesn't think I am going to kick him off here, which I can't do, or have him killed for to many post.

Sorry about that Zep,if it bothered you.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 05:08:32 pm by Jacuzzi_Jim »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 05:11:08 am »

Sorry Frank but that is absolutly not true. Now obviously there are alot of variables. And if you use the tub 2-3 times a day you may be right. But if the tub is left alone allowing it to cool will use less energy. The cooler it gets the less overall heat loss there will be.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 05:11:08 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42