What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Thank you Penguins  (Read 3225 times)

jimmyb

Thank you Penguins
« on: June 03, 2008, 06:24:33 pm »
We just had our new HS Vista delivered and installed this afternoon.  Spa Stone, SpAudioCast, and all the bling.   It's pouring rain out and I'm disappointed that I'm not able to finish the electrical hook up...  I'll take pictures as soon as the ducks return my camera.  On a positive note, thanks to the Penguins for extending the series, because with any luck I'll be soaking in the "tub" tomorrow night while watching the cup finals...  GO PENS GO!!!!

Hot Tub Forum

Thank you Penguins
« on: June 03, 2008, 06:24:33 pm »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Thank you Penguins
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 06:32:49 pm »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

jimmyb

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 06:57:22 pm »
Here's an interesting tidbit.  According to the Ontario electrical code (likely in your province or state as well)  When running two separate cables (as is the case with my vista, one 30amp 10/3 cable and one 20amp 12/2 cable) all in one single conduit you MUST De-rate the wire!!!  De-rating the cable means up sizing the cable.  So in my case the Vista now requires the 30amp service to be supplied with 8/3 and the 20amp service must be supplied with 10/2.  Since I had all ready purchased 10/3 and 12/2 cable I will have to run then in separate liquid tight conduit.  Not a real big deal, however it would of been nice to have known this prior to purchasing the normal size cable.

This makes me wounder how many tubs out there that are supplied with one conduit are actually against code???

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 11:10:12 pm »
WOOHOOOO!! Another PENS fan!!

One Heck of a Game, Eh??

[size=22]LET'S GO PENS!  LET'S GO PENS!!![/size]
Oh, and BTW, congrats on the new spa!!! ;)

Chrisi :)
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

chelseapaws

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 09:20:12 am »
Congrats Jim!  The Wife and I wet-tested a Vista and fell in love with it as well.  During our search, we came accross a floor model J-480 (fully loaded) that we simply could not pass up.  It's my understanding that Jacuzzi is one of the few brands that uses a 3-wire set up. (pros, please correct me if I'm wrong as I'll be facing a BIG problem next week!)   :o

Last night, I ran 6/3 romex from the breaker panel to the basement wall, connected the 6/3 to 4 (four) separate 6 gauge THHN wires running through conduit out the wall and up to a 60 AMP GFCI Disconnect/Breaker.  From the exterior GFCI, I will have three (3) separate 6 gauge THHN wires running through conduit / liquid tight into the tub - 2 HOT's and 1 Ground.  (That's the plan anyway!)

As for the Pens...We lived in Morgantown, WV (Go Mountaineers!) for 10 years prior to moving to Update NY.  Being only 35 miles from Pittsburgh, we became loyal pens fans and enjoyed several games in the Igloo!  Unfortunately today's Pen's hardly resemble the team we were familiar with (Jagr, Lemieux, etc.), but it's fun to watch the next generation fight for the cup!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 09:40:27 am »
This makes me wounder how many tubs out there that are supplied with one conduit are actually against code???

I never run jacketed cable through conduit. For one thing, the ground wire is undersized, and I don't like that. The sub panel is supposed to be around the tub - not closer than five feet to the water, but generally not more than 50' from the tub. As a result, I always run a conduit and individual wires of the correct size from sub to tub.

If your sub is near your tub, you certainly could just do the same, and then you would not need to run twins.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

jimmyb

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 02:39:04 pm »
As a result, I always run a conduit and individual wires of the correct size from sub to tub.

If your sub is near your tub, you certainly could just do the same, and then you would not need to run twins.
 8-)

Still raining so no pics as of yet!!!

I'm not an electrician, however, my father in law is and he gave me a copy of the most recent "Ontario Electrical Safety Code" a 2 inch thick book, and pointed this out to me....  The code here in Ontario Canada clearly states if you have between 4 to 6 conductors in a single raceway (conduit) you must De-rate the wires' ampacity by a factor of 0.80 ...  This applies to single insulated conductors as well as multiple conductor cables...

I'll bet dollars to donuts that this code is the case in all the Canadian provinces and most likely the states as well.

For those in Ontario look up table 5C and see rules 4-004 and 12-2210 and Tables 2 and 4...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 02:40:58 pm by jimmyb »

TubsAndCues

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 05:45:09 pm »
Congrats on the tub!

But just so you all know, the Wings are going to bring the Cup home tonight.  

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 06:00:23 pm »
Congrats on the tub!

But just so you all know, the Wings are going to bring the Cup home tonight.  

NHL hockey? Is the strike over?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 06:00:46 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 06:03:03 pm »
You just went to Heaven and you didn't even know it. Congrats and soak long and often.

Scott  ;)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 07:11:39 pm »

NHL hockey? Is the strike over?

I'm sure your manly sport of lawn bowling is preventing you from being informed on the big boys sports...  :P  ;)

How did you do in that shuffleboard tourny last weekend? :-? Hope you didn't break a hip 'er nuttin!  ;D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 07:12:22 pm by Steve »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 07:34:58 pm »

I'm sure your manly sport of lawn bowling is preventing you from being informed on the big boys sports...  :P  ;)

Just kidding!! I'm a big sports fan and hockey is just not up there with the Big 3 sports for me but still at times I like to watch a little hockey now and again.. The problem is I can watch a few minutes of a game but inevitably a stoppage in play comes about. I’m a guy so I wander the channels with the remote to fill those few minutes and get fixated on an infomercial for the Showtime Rotisserie grill or a rerun of Facts Of Life (gotta love that Tootie) and I completely forget I was watching the hockey game!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 07:34:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42