What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: could my ozoneator be working???  (Read 3540 times)

benalexe

could my ozoneator be working???
« on: June 01, 2008, 09:35:11 pm »
I have read in other posts that people "see the bubbles" I am assuming when the water is calm and the main pump is on low.  Is that an indicator that the ozonator is working?

Hot Tub Forum

could my ozoneator be working???
« on: June 01, 2008, 09:35:11 pm »

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
Re: could my ozoneator be working???
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 10:04:39 pm »
you should get some bubbles without the pumps

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 11:42:36 pm »
The only thing the bubbles indicate is that air is being moved through the ozonator. It in no way indicates that the ozonator is converting some of the oxygen in the air into ozone.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Merlin

• Just here to help.
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 03:51:57 am »
Since you dont have a circ pump, you wont see the bubbles unless your pump is on low speed.
Knowledgeable, Friendly, Helpful and Award Winning Hotspring & Caldera Dealer in Southern California

benalexe

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 06:20:20 am »
Since you dont have a circ pump, you wont see the bubbles unless your pump is on low speed.
my pump does have a low speed.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 08:27:54 am »
Benalexe,

I can't remember what year your spa was built but I do you remember you saying that your brother-in-law had it for quite awhile. It's my understanding that most ozonators last between 2 - 4 years. So unless your b-i-l had it replaced or a new chip installed, there's probably a really good chance it's not working.

benalexe

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 08:33:40 am »
I ordered a new chip.  Looks like I have the Del eclipse.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 08:35:38 am »
I ordered a new chip.  Looks like I have the Del eclipse.

Is it installed yet?

benalexe

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 08:43:42 am »
nope

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 08:57:55 am »
Here are a few posts made by Vermonter on how to tell if your unit is producing ozone.

[size=16]
First, bubbles alone do not necessarily mean you are producing ozone (see my third paragraph here).  The bubbles are, indeed, only the result of the venturi action of the Mazzei injector.  I have totally removed my ozonator and still have the same number of bubbles as with it in place.

Second, in my case, the small in-line check valve failed and even with a loop of the injector tubing going high up in the equipment cabinet, somehow water entered the ozonator itself.  In trying to take the ozonator apart to see if I could fix it...well, let's just say the fitting located at the outlet of the corona discharge unit (you sort of have to open the unit up to see it) is no longer intact.   I might be able to buy a replacement fitting (it's not a standard plumbing fitting), but at this point I'm leaning to replacing the whole unit.  I expect the water did irreparable damage to the corona discharge unit.

Third, there was a question on "how do you know if you're getting ozone" if you have bubbles (regardless of whether there is a light or a buzz or some other "indicator".  There are a couple of ways to tell this.  If you are familiar with the smell of ozone, then when you open up your spa cover after an hour or so of being closed, the off-gas of the ozone (the wasted part of the ozone - which is wel probably over 90% of the applied dose) is in the airspace above the water and below the cover.  You should always have the distinct ozone "smell" greet you - if you don't, then either the ozonator isn't working or perhaps the line is plugged.  You can also use a fairly simple "capture" technique to collect the bubbles in an inverted cup / bottle (holding the collection vessel at the bottom of the spa so the bubbles rise into it and displace the water), put your hand over the opening of the container, raise it out of the tub and invert it (so the opening is now up) and quickly remove your hand and smell the "air" in the bottle.  If it is pungent, then it's ozone - if it doesn't smell, repeat it a couple of times, but if the results are the same and you still don't smell it, then the ozonator is not putting out ozone (at least into the tub).

Vermonter
[/size]

[size=18]

A little more info on the "ozone capture" approach.  I've had the most success with a straight-walled, clear glass type of container.  If you have a glass tumbler (even if it's tapered), that's probably OK.  Let the container fill with water and then invert it (opening down) and put it over the bubbles.  Tip the container so that as the bubbles rise into the glass container, the water is displaced.  You don't need to go more than half-way - even that may be hard, depending on the container (if you tip it too much, all the gas escapes).   At some point you'll have gas collected in the top (which is the bottom) half or third of the container (you can see this if you use a glass container) with water in the rest.  Put your hand or some flat material over the top of the glass (which is actually on the bottom since the glass is inverted) and raise the whole thing to the surface of your water.  Invert the container (so now it is has the opening "up"), put your nose right next to the top of the glass and remove your hand or whatever is covering it and immediately breathe in.  I think Why Not described the smell as sort of like a fresh-cut watermelon - that's pretty close!  Ozone also is what you smell if you breathe in near a copier after making a number of copies.  It is sort of sweet / pungent.  Anyway, if you smell anything other than "nothing" you almost certainly have ozone.  CAUTION:  ozone is an irritant and if you happen to have a lot of ozone collected, you might wind up coughing for a cough or two.  So...you might want to do this several times - breathe in carefully the first time, but if you don't smell anything, you can repeat and breathe in a bit deeper.

If this isn't clear or if you have questions, let me know.

Best,

Vermonter
[/size]
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 09:04:02 am by WHY_NOT »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 08:57:55 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42