What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I can't imagine this thermospas being very efficen  (Read 5503 times)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: I can't imagine this thermospas being very eff
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 10:58:26 am »
if the cabinets is sealed up, and you have a good cover, let's wait and see what your actual costs to operate are before doing anythign drastic.  :)

I wouldn't do anything drastic at this point but I also wouldn't wait for a bill to do some minor tinkering like eliminating air flow through gaps by spraying some foam and the idea of insulation in bags that you can stuff into certain areas is a good idea as well. The key with this type of insulation is to eliminate air flow from inside of cabinet to outside. Also, you hit on a good point. A good cover is important BUT because people always think of hot air rising they don't see the value in insulating the bottom of the spa as well. If the bottom is open I would definitely look to insulate it.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 10:58:26 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 11:35:48 am »

I wouldn't do anything drastic at this point but I also wouldn't wait for a bill to do some minor tinkering like eliminating air flow through gaps by spraying some foam and the idea of insulation in bags that you can stuff into certain areas is a good idea as well. The key with this type of insulation is to eliminate air flow from inside of cabinet to outside. Also, you hit on a good point. A good cover is important BUT because people always think of hot air rising they don't see the value in insulating the bottom of the spa as well. If the bottom is open I would definitely look to insulate it.

Yup. I wouldn't go spraying 20 cans of Great Stuff foam from Home Depot in there and compeltey filling the cabinet before I knew what was what.  ;) hey... any actuall R Value for that stuff? I know they say it's better than compressed fiberglass  :-/ but then again, that's not saying much.

Other areas of concern would be any vents on the skirting shoudl be sealed *during winter*.   If the spa has rounded corners there may be gaps there as well.  Also the gap between the shell and skirt is also a known area for potential air leaks.  Gasketing this area would be a good idea.

Wind is also a big issue and can rob a hot tub of its heat very quickly. Folks placing a tub in a windy area can realize savings (and comfort) by placing a wind barrier up. The lesson here is think twice about placement before pouring the pad.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 11:38:01 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

benalexe

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 09:47:14 pm »
The only thing I do know is it is hooked up today my meter is spinning a million miles an hour!!!

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 09:51:58 pm »
Ben, your heater must be on. Where do you live? How much do you pay for electricity? It will be worth it brother.......
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

benalexe

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 09:56:39 pm »
I am really excited about it.

I live in Long Island.

My rates are   .0857 and .0787  then there is a power supply charge of .097689.  

I have no idea how these rates compare to anyone else.

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 01:20:29 am »
The only thing I do know is it is hooked up today my meter is spinning a million miles an hour!!!
WHAT? Have your electrician put his tester on the wires and see how many amps your tub is drawing.

Scott  :o
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

benalexe

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 06:58:25 am »
Doesn't really matter!!!

I am just going to enjoy the tub, deal with the bill etc.

I did notice that the concept of the thermopain is very interesting.  The inside of the cabinet does get very hot!!!

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 11:45:57 am »
most of the tubs have a 4 to6000 watt heaters. It will use some power while in use.

Just use it.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 11:45:57 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42