What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Shell Cracks  (Read 6296 times)

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
Shell Cracks
« on: May 29, 2008, 08:51:58 pm »
Ok, for last 3 years or more I have been dealing with reoccurring cracks on my Tiger River Bengal. They are located above the water line to the left of the controls. The dealer has repaired them at least two times at my home and two times at their shop.  Now the spa was shipped back to the manufacturer for another repair.  All the crakes are in the same area.  I have been without the spa for a total of 6 months or more for these repairs. I’m not a happy camper without my daily soak.

Apparently, the spa is ready to be sent back again.  The dealer called and said they can send it back to me or I can pay $2,500 for a new spa. After all the hassle I have dealt with, I personally think the manufacturer should replace the spa at no charge.  I think I’m getting screwed either way.  What would you do? :'(
It's all about da bubbles!

Hot Tub Forum

Shell Cracks
« on: May 29, 2008, 08:51:58 pm »

benalexe

Re: Shell Cracks
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 09:39:25 pm »
How much did you pay for the original spa? My inclination is to fight them and settle on spliting the difference.

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 09:55:11 pm »
Just say no to crack!! :P

I wonder, would the dealer buy it back from you for $2500??  Then take that and get a different spa??

I feel it should be replaced by the manufacturer, since it has been ongoing since 2.5 years of service.  What kind of warranty did it include??

My fave, after failed attempts to get things resolved, is the BBB, but I don't know if in your case, it is a dealer vs manufacturer issue.  At least there would then be something on record.  

Good luck.
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 09:55:11 pm »
 It was in the 6K range.  It has a 5 year warrenty on everthing (about a year left) and 7 years on the shell.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 11:45:55 pm by Mr._Bubbles »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 11:44:58 pm »
A comment and a question.

Would the new $2500 spa have a new warranty or the end of the warranty on your current spa?

You can call Watkins customer service.  Get their version of the offer.

Good luck.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 11:54:32 pm »
Are these cracks all the way through the shell, or simply crazing on the surface?

I'm sorry you have had this trouble.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 11:55:48 pm »
Yes, I believe it would have a full warranty.  He also said it would not come with a cover, though.

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 11:58:12 pm »
Are these cracks all the way through the shell, or simply crazing on the surface?

I'm sorry you have had this trouble.

8-)

Some are and some are not.  There have been about 7 cracks all together and some of those have been repaired multiple times.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 08:00:33 am »
So I am assuming that since Watkins wants you to pay for a replacement tub, the warranty is prorated. Is that right ? Why should the same problem occur over and over and the final resolution is for the customer to be without his tub for months and then have to pay thousands for something that should be covered under warranty?
I can see them trying to fix the shell once or twice but when it requires the tub to be repaired over and over, there is obviously a manufacturing defect that should be covered under the warranty.
Instead of shipping the defective tub back to the manufacturer, wouldn't it have made more economical sense to just replace it?
Support your dealer so they can support you!

loosenupspas

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 08:59:44 am »
Bubbles......off hand, I'd say the shell is defective.  If the cracks are of no fault of yours, like the spas isn't on a level surface which might cause the shell to crack or some other kind of abuse, then you have a beef with the manufacturer.  Read your warranty close a few times to understand what it says about this situation.  I don't think that there would be a pro-rated amount on the warranty that covers cracks.  If it is defective, then you should receive a new spa at no charge.  Shell just don't crack but if it was installed improperly or a manufacturing fluke then it can crack.  Read your warranty and use it to your benefit.

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 09:04:59 am »
I have no idea how they came up with the $2,500 figure, they did not say anything about prorating the warranty.  You would think it would be costing them more for all the repairs and now shipping it back to the other side of the country.  The tub has really taken a beating from all the moving.  They have put a level on it and the techs seen the base it is on.  It does look like the shell slopes up in the cracked area relative to the spa's wood.  This is why I did not buy a tub from a big box store, go figure.  Overall I really love the thing, but I wonder if I made the wrong decision.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 09:10:55 am by Mr._Bubbles »

Erin

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 09:33:55 am »
They should definately be replacing your spa. There is a 7 year warranty on the shell and with so many cracks you would think that they would figure out by now that they are not going to stop.
As far as the warranty on a replacement spa, most of the time the warranty continues the same as the old tub, it usually doesn't start over, but I'm not sure how Watkins does it.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 09:45:09 am »

This is what warranty is for. At their discretion, they can repair or replace. They've tried repairing unsuccessfully...now it's time to replace!

I would document your history with this in a letter and send it to your dealer and head office. Squeaky wheel...

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 01:33:58 pm »
Ok, took some of your advice and called the manufacture directly to complain.  All I can say is, wow.  They offered not one thing for all my trouble, except they will continue to repair and ship the spa to the other side of the county every time it needs repair.  I quote, “under the warranty we are only obligated to repair the shell”.  I don’t want to turn this into a rant thread, so I will not comment on my experience anymore.  

Thanks everyone.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 01:38:03 pm by Mr._Bubbles »

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 01:43:56 pm »
I quote, “under the warranty we are only obligated to repair the shell”.  I don’t want to turn this into a rant thread, so I will not comment on my experience anymore.  

Thanks everyone.
Please do, this is exactly why I hang out on this site. They need to make this right.

Scott  >:(
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 01:43:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42