What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Springs Ozonator gone wild!  Advice sought  (Read 8478 times)

guyplayeur

Hot Springs Ozonator gone wild!  Advice sought
« on: May 25, 2008, 01:01:09 pm »
Hey all-

My 2007 HS Sovereign has been in operation 8 months.  Within the last 2 days, I've noticed the ozonator has been pumping out 2 to 3 times as many bubbles as it had been previously.  It is also making more noise as if it was struggling to work.

I see that in the owner's manual that the ozonator can clog due to mineral buildup, but I would assume that this would have the opposite effect as to what I'm experiencing -- meaning less bubbles rather than more.  What I'm seeing is more like a new jet has been turned on under the ozonator.

Water quality seems to be OK.  A bit more musty smelling than usual, pH slightly higher than normal, but clarity is good.  I can't say I had noticed the smell of ozone either before or after this happened, so I'm not sure if I could accurately diagnose if the flow of ozone has stopped.

Any ideas on my suddenly overly-energetic ozonator?  

Thanks in advance,

-sam

EDIT:  It's a Sovereign, not a Prodigy.  My brain is a bit small...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 01:42:11 pm by guyplayeur »

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Springs Ozonator gone wild!  Advice sought
« on: May 25, 2008, 01:01:09 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Hot Springs Ozonator gone wild!  Advice sought
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 01:05:11 pm »
Ozonators rarely make noise, other than gurgling bubbles.  Sounds like noise is from circ pump.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 01:10:34 pm »
There is something call cavitation - that's where a pump is either air locked or can't get enough flow from the intake. Maybe that's the problem, it can cause more bubbles. If it's the circ pump going bad ... use the warranty!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 01:10:54 pm »
Change in bubbles usually would be caused by the injector and not the ozonator itself.  Ozonators produce ozone but do not "push" the ozone into the water.  Most common is a Mazzei injector in the return line that produces a vacuum and "draws" the ozone through small diameter tube with a check valve into the water.  I do not know what Hot Springs uses but Mazzei injectors sometimes can use a little cleanning along with the tubing and the check valve.

Merlin

• Just here to help.
Re: Hot Springs Ozonator gone wild!  Advice s
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 04:28:00 pm »
I would suggest running 12oz of distilled white vinegar through the ozone if you already haven't. - Disconnect the ozone tubing from the Freshwater III ozone generator while spa is powered on. Place the tube into the 12oz of Vinegar and let it run through the system. Take out and clean your filters if you havent already and then reset the breaker and see if that helps.

If you are still having problems i would call your local dealer.  :)
Knowledgeable, Friendly, Helpful and Award Winning Hotspring & Caldera Dealer in Southern California

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Hot Springs Ozonator gone wild!  Advice s
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 10:05:21 am »
A check valve or flow restrictor has broken, or the line has come unplugged somewhere between the ozone generator and the injector.

There is an air stone on the inlet side of the ozone generator which has a short black tube. In that short black tube is a tiny ceramic bead which acts to slow the airflow - the whole tube sometimes slips off or cracks around the bead.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

guyplayeur

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 05:29:30 pm »
Thanks, everyone.  I shared all this with my HS dealer and he's going to send someone out to check out the circ pump.  

-sam

guyplayeur

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 02:11:32 pm »
UPDATE:  Hot Springs repairman just left.  It was in fact the check valve that had broken!  Thanks to all that responded, and many thanks to whoever started this website.  It's a fantastic resource of info and helpful folks!   :)

Best,

-sam

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 02:11:32 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42