What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 110 or 220v  (Read 4290 times)

SDCPL858

110 or 220v
« on: May 19, 2008, 12:51:52 pm »
We are getting the Hot Spring Prodigy that can run on 110 or 220. The sales person is saying that the 110 will be fine and a few others are saying go 220? We plan on using this tub ALOT and don't want to have any issues as far as heating while we're in the tub running the jets etc. We are in San Diego so we don't have to worry about it getting to cold here. Also, we have to have a dedicated line ran if we do go with 110 so should we just spend the same amoount of money and have 220 ran regardless we still have to have an electrician come out? Thanks in advance.

Hot Tub Forum

110 or 220v
« on: May 19, 2008, 12:51:52 pm »

Vanguard

Re: 110 or 220v
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 01:13:24 pm »
Since you're going to spend the money on the dedicated line anyway, I'd go with the 220.  The 110 would be fine, but if you can go 220 for the same cost, it just makes sense.  You will have a slight additional cost in buying the sub panel from your dealer.  Since the Prodigy is a 110 unit, it does not come with a sub panel.  But, you can try to get your dealer to help you out with that.

The Prodigy is a nice spa.  Congrats on your purchase.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Spiderman

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 03:51:52 pm »
We sell the convertable sub-panel for $249.  That plus the extra wire, flex conduit, connectors, etc. may add up to more than you want to spend.  In a warm climate as yours, the 110V won't be a problem; however as Vanguard stated, IF the cost for the dedicated line VS running 220V is close in cost, go for the 220V   8-)
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 04:39:07 pm »
Not a hard, fast rule - but in my experience (in & out of the spa industry) - 220v systems tend to be longer lasting.

With the pump and heater being the same (I think) either way, it probably won't matter as much here.

Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 04:58:30 pm »
If you want the tub to heat while you are using it with the jets on you must go with 220. You also do not have to wait as long at water changes for the tub to heat up, and although there seems to be different views, I think 220 is more effcienct (my dad worked for the electric company for years and feels this way too).
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 05:55:33 pm »
If you want the tub to heat while you are using it with the jets on you must go with 220. You also do not have to wait as long at water changes for the tub to heat up, and although there seems to be different views, I think 220 is more effcienct (my dad worked for the electric company for years and feels this way too).

220v does tend to be more efficient, and it does heat faster (with a higher watt heater).

Being in San Diego, I don't know if it will be that big of a difference on these aspects.  Heat loss will be minimal most of the year, and I doubt (just an educated guess) that the difference in power bills would be much over $5, if that.
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

SDCPL858

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 07:01:15 pm »
Thanks everyone for your input. We ended up going with the 110 so we will se and I'll report back how it is working for us.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 10:42:39 am »
Either way, welcome to spatopia!  

I have sold many Jetsetter and Prodigy models to folks who ran the conduit in such a way that they could add a sub panel and go 220 later by "simply" pulling in new wire and adding the sub panel. It should cost you no more to do so - the electrician may already be planning on installing 3/4" conduit as it is - that can be used if you switch later.

But the real point I wanted to make is that our climate is the same as yours, and our customers who allow for future conversion never do. The tub really does run well on 110 - it even recaptures the hot air given off by the jet pumps, so the fact that you can't run the heat and jets at the same time doesn't matter.

I have had one or two folks who have had the chance to try both 110 and 220. For example- we installed the spa on an existing outlet and they later finished building or rebuilding the house or yard and put the tub into it's permanent home on 220. They usually report the only change they noticed is that after a water change they can get back into the tub faster on 220.

As to efficiency - some tubs are cheaper to run on 220, but not the Jetsetter and/or Prodigy. In fact there is a convertible tub in the HotSpring, Tiger River, Caldera and Hot Spot lines, and they are all going to cost the same to run on either 110 or 220. The big difference is on a tub where the main jet pump is employed to move water for heating - in those tubs the less you run the pump the lower the op costs are.

Enjoy your new tub!!!

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 10:42:39 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42