What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: spa running with little water  (Read 4172 times)

benalexe

spa running with little water
« on: May 03, 2008, 06:57:16 pm »
As mentioned in an earlier post I am getting a termospa from my brother.   He told me he went out to the spat which is has not opened in a few weeks and the water level was down about half way, and it was still running.   I always thought if they run down on water they stop running.  Could the spa be ruined? Or very much damaged?

Hot Tub Forum

spa running with little water
« on: May 03, 2008, 06:57:16 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: spa running with little water
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 07:54:59 pm »
 Hence the term ITS FREE!!  ;D

The spa is probably fine, tell him to get the freaking water back in it see if it disappears again.  And yes realistically it should have tripped the breaker.  Its a thermospa that cost 9 grand, that thing is built like a brick -hit house. Kidding of course it will be alright.

benalexe

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 09:01:25 pm »
So I spoke to my bro about it a little more.  When he opened the tub it was half filled with water so it was not running dry.  He also told me there was a dead thing in it which we need to remove.  Great!!! Not sure how a dead thing got in.  

Regardless, Being that it was not running dry that is probably a good sign.  My question is what would cause half the water to drain? Evaporation?

In Canada eh

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 09:05:17 pm »
  My question is what would cause half the water to drain? Evaporation?

Very thirsty dead thing??  ;D

Sorry, I couldn't resist ;)
Bullfrog 451

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 09:05:43 pm »
More than likely for that much water to be gone there is a leak. :'(
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

benalexe

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 09:08:12 pm »
Okay educate me a second on a leak.  Suppose it is a leak...  This may sound like a dumb question but is a leak in the fiberglass?  or in the pipes?

What am I looking at in terms of cost?  

Are leaks common in hot tubs?

Sorry to sound stupid on this.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 11:22:51 pm »
Okay educate me a second on a leak.  Suppose it is a leak...  This may sound like a dumb question but is a leak in the fiberglass?  or in the pipes?

What am I looking at in terms of cost?  

Are leaks common in hot tubs?

Sorry to sound stupid on this.

It's probably simply a leak where the jet fits into the tub.  Not unusual at all in an older tub but in a 2003 year model, it should not be happening.  I think you said that for $75 Thermospa was willing to come "check it out".  What I would do if I were you would be to have your brother simply call in a warranty issue (leaking) to ThermoSpa before he delivers it to you..... Unless he has already delivered it (or you've picked it up).

It could also be a leak at one of the seals in the pump (ANY engine that is not run for a while could have failed seals).  It looks like it's not a free as it might once have been but repairing a leak shouldn't be that costly (a couple hundred maybe)
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 03:50:44 pm »
We have run into a bunch of 2000-2004 thermo spas with major leak issues in the past year. The small jets are all breaking. The way they are desigened is really bad. The entire housing has to be replaced. We have been replacing them with a different jet and housing that fits into the hole in the acrylic. The only place to buy the jets is from thermo. We can't even get them direct from the manufacturer and we have been able to on other "propriortory" parts.

Other more common and simple issues are....pump seals. If he has not checked it for awhile, they could have been leaking the past few weeks enough to drop water level that much, but it usually will also trip the breaker if they are leaking bad. Pump and heater unions can loosen up, ozone could have a bad check valve and water drained via the ozone line. Sometimes an air line will create a syphon.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

benalexe

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 06:36:25 am »
Okay so I went to see the spa yesterday.  HERE IS THE DEAD THING

« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 06:37:01 am by benalexe »

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 09:07:40 am »
who removed the dead thing pic?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 09:14:44 am »
An ozone system can drain a tub if the power goes off. Many of them are designed to be under suction while operating, so if they develop a leak it leaks air INTO the system. But then if there is a power interruption they can leak water out.

Other things to check have been mentioned above - but does this tub have removable siding? You can fill it and run it with the sides open and watch for water.

Finally you can try to determine if it loses water - does it do so more when the jets are running or just sitting?

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 09:14:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42