What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ozonator  (Read 2011 times)

Steve3260

Ozonator
« on: May 22, 2008, 06:39:41 am »
Hi everyone,

How important is it to have an ozonator on your tub, I read all the benefits of having one but is it necessary, could I purchase one and install myself or should I specifically buy a sundance ozonator and have it installed when they deliver the tub. Thanks, Steve

Hot Tub Forum

Ozonator
« on: May 22, 2008, 06:39:41 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Ozonator
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 08:35:58 am »
Welcome Steve,

This may start a debate, but my tub is 5 years old, so most of the experts would agree my ozonator is probably not working.  At what point in the last 5 years did it quit? I have no idea, but during that time I learned how to take care of the water, so I haven't missed it or felt motivated to replace it.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 08:57:58 am »
My first tub (A circa 1999 nordic) did not have O3 and the water quality was poor.
my 05 Tiger River, and my 07 Caldera  have a Corona dishcarge 03 unit and I have great results with the water quality. Now, I don't think it was soley the o3 unit is responsible for the inmproved water quality . This has been debated (vinny, where are you?)  but i do think an 03 unit is a good investment and does work.

There have been significant improvements in 03 units in the past few years (CD units over the UV units) . The output of these units have also increased, and running them 24/7 as opposed to some tubs that only used them during set filter cycles makes a big difference.   So if soemone  had an older tub with  an inefficent 03 unit, then i can see where someone wouldn't noticed a differnc if it stopped working,  but I think with a quality unit the situation is different.

If you use your tub every day and are sanitizing as much, then it's negligable, but if the tub is used  less and not santized as much, I think it makes a big difference. I can (and have) leave my tub for 10+ days without seeing a degredation in water quality.

Folks wont bat an eye and drop $120+ a yr on magic silver voo doo beads for their hot tub, but scoff at 03 units?  I'd say go with the  03.  :)

« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 09:29:55 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 11:15:27 am »
Hi everyone,

How important is it to have an ozonator on your tub, I read all the benefits of having one but is it necessary, could I purchase one and install myself or should I specifically buy a sundance ozonator and have it installed when they deliver the tub. Thanks, Steve

You can do without it but you'll heve much better luck with it IMO. Ozone is a great help for water care. However, while I'm a big propoenent of ozone I'd skip getting a cheap UV type; either get a good quality CD unit or skip it altogether.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 11:15:27 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42