What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: another chemical question  (Read 1541 times)

benalexe

another chemical question
« on: May 20, 2008, 10:54:08 pm »
Spa coming on Friday.  Will probably clean it out rinse it, drain it and fill it. (not sure if I will wait for the electric to come before I fill it.

Anyway, I am going to do the dichlor and activator cocktail.   Can anyone tell me exact step by step procedures so I have clean water and trouble free environment? initial fill,   Daily weekly, testing,  etc.

At startup I won't have the ozonator working but once I see the exact model ozonator I will order the chip and pop it in.

Also what is this Spa Frog thing?

Hot Tub Forum

another chemical question
« on: May 20, 2008, 10:54:08 pm »

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
Re: another chemical question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 10:23:08 am »
There are many other people here with more knowledge that me on the use of Chemicals, but FWIW, I just posted my routine in another thread, so I will copy it here:

I use softened water in my tub since my raw well water is so bad.  When I change the water, I use the Calcium Increaser to bring the Calcium level up.  I usually do this in a three stage series over several hours or from night to morning.   (If your Calcium level is ok, you can skip this.)

I have low pH and low alk out of the tap, so I adjust my alk up to about 100 or 120 with baking soda.  This usually also brings the pH up.  If it comes up too much, I wait a day and bring it down with some pH decreaser.  With this method, I get my pH in line and the alk stays at about 80.  Thereafter, my pH and alk don't move much at all during the life of the fill.

After my pH and alk are lined up, I shock the water using dichlor (six teaspoons for a 450 gal tub is usually enough to get it over 10ppm).  I found that if I shocked the water first, (before adjusting the pH and alk) it seemed to mess up my alk and pH readings.   I used to use MetalGon, and when I did, I always held off on installing the N2 cartridge for a few days since the MetalGon could mess up the cartridge.  

Once my pH and alk are balanced, they generally stay that way.  Thereafter, I use  2 teaspoons of dichlor after each soak and shock the tub about once every two weeks.  I always have good luck with this system.  I really can't say how long its been since I have had a cloudy water day.  I realize that everyone has different water, but I thought this method might help a bit.

I used bromine in my old tub for years, but I like this system much better.  No bromine smell on you when you get out of the tub!

Benelex, you mention using an activater cocktail, but I'm not sure what you mean.  Dichlor doesn't need an activater.  You may be thinking about the start-up pack people use with bromine.

Also, if I were you, I would wait for the electric to be hooked up so you can use the jets to mix your water and chemicals.  I do not think you will get accurate readings if you don't mix it up well.

(I don't have any info on the spa frog since I use the silver ion/N2 cartridge along with ozone)

Rich
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

Re: another chemical question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 10:23:08 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42