What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Never Met a Hot Tub I Didn’t Like  (Read 3679 times)

Jet Sitter

Never Met a Hot Tub I Didn’t Like
« on: May 12, 2008, 06:09:27 pm »
We’re getting underway on our spa search and I can’t think of a time that I was in a hot tub and didn’t enjoy myself.  So I have been thinking that as long as I find a good dealer selling tubs from one of the established manufacturers we should be happy with just about anything that fits our price range and has the desired number of seats.  I have discovered that this isn’t true, as probably all of you already know, after my wife and I wet-tested at a couple of places this weekend.

We’re keeping an open mind on the lounge vs no lounge issue though leaning toward non-lounge.  We sat in probably half a dozen lounges this weekend. My wife floated out of all of them (even woman sized) and only one really felt good to me.  This really didn’t surprise us going in and if a lounge works well for one of us in a tub that we are interested in, we’ll go for it.  However, we had not really expected so much difference in the regular seats.  Of course, different depths worked better for me or her or whoever will use the tub.  But sometimes it seemed that even when the depth was right, it took a bit of work to stay in place.  In some seats we could just sit back and relax even when the jets were cranked on high while others took some bracing or sitting in an “un-natural” position to stay in.  For example, we were both more comfortable in the Tiger River Caspian than in the Hot Springs Vanguard although another couple would likely have the exact opposite experience.

We also assumed that all jets would be okay at worst, wonderful at best, but found one that was a stinger for me, and could not be turned down – it was on or off.  Again, someone else might really like the jet.

As for hydrotherapy, we figured all tubs would be good and they probably are in general, and we don’t currently have any problems to treat.  However, after a long bike ride early in the morning I found that I really liked the jets that massaged the feet, calves, thighs and hamstrings.  All the tubs had jets that were great on the back, but some tubs were much better than others for the legs and feet, and we hadn’t really considered whether this was important to us before now.

Not sure that there is a point to this post other than to share a couple of factors we have quickly become aware of in our search which are probably mentioned in the “How to But a Hot Tub” info but we didn’t pick up on until now.  I know most of you say wet test, especially if buying a lounge, but lounge or no, wet testing is essential.

Hot Tub Forum

Never Met a Hot Tub I Didn’t Like
« on: May 12, 2008, 06:09:27 pm »

In Canada eh

Re: Never Met a Hot Tub I Didn’t Like
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 06:50:56 pm »
Jet Sitter,

You just learned why almost everyone on this board preaches wet test, wet test, wet test.  I hope you find the right tub for you!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 06:51:20 pm by Confused_in_Canada »
Bullfrog 451

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 09:25:16 pm »
 However, after a long bike ride early in the morning I found that I really liked the jets that massaged the feet, calves, thighs and hamstrings.  All the tubs had jets that were great on the back, but some tubs were much better than others for the legs and feet, and we hadn’t really considered whether this was important to us before now.

Not sure that there is a point to this post other than to share a couple of factors we have quickly become aware of in our search which are probably mentioned in the “How to But a Hot Tub” info but we didn’t pick up on until now.  I know most of you say wet test, especially if buying a lounge, but lounge or no, wet testing is essential.

Thank you JS!!  That has been MY point all along!!  All tubs have a variety of back therapy but marginal leg/calf/foot therapy, without getting a lounger.  That is one of the reasons we looked at Clearwater spas http://www.clearwaterspas.com/resort-series.htm  because we really liked the SEATS that weren't loungers.  BUt, wet testing is VERY important to us and our dealer gave us one too many excuses.  Sorry, If I am spending 13k on a tub, I want to KNOW I will like it!!

The Tundra I want (by Arctic) doesn't quite have the calf jets I want, but you  can't beat the neck and back therapy, plus it has foot jets.  We liked the Jacuzzi lines with the foot domes for the same reason, but were fighting over the foot dome.  We  also looked at Artesian, never heard back from that dealer, and never wet tested it, and hubby wants to look at Pacific, for many of the same reasons==nice seating and jets.

I am going to choke on all this by the time we actually sit down to buy a tub.
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

wewannahottub

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 09:26:30 pm »
Jet Sitter,

You just learned why almost everyone on this board [glow]preaches [/glow]wet test, wet test, wet test.  I hope you find the right tub for you!

AMEN, fellow Wet Test Preacher!!!

Jet Sitter

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 01:08:02 pm »
WWTH - It sounds like you are nearing the nd of your search and after the great process you have gone through you will be well rewarded with the best tub for you and yours!

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 01:16:04 pm »
WWTH - It sounds like you are nearing the nd of your search and after the great process you have gone through you will be well rewarded with the best tub for you and yours!
You wait and see. After Chrisi gets her new Tundra set-up and running she will have all this free time on her hands and she will keep running down to her local Arctic dealer and will be selling tubs to new buyers.
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Calypso

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 01:30:13 pm »
As for hydrotherapy, we figured all tubs would be good and they probably are in general, and we don’t currently have any problems to treat.  However, after a long bike ride early in the morning I found that I really liked the jets that massaged the feet, calves, thighs and hamstrings.  All the tubs had jets that were great on the back, but some tubs were much better than others for the legs and feet, and we hadn’t really considered whether this was important to us before now.

You are definately right that wet testing is important. Our short list was Pacific, Sundance, Beachcomber, Arctic in no particular order  :) and we decided on the Pacific Calypso due to the sports jet package for the achilles, calfs hips and wrists. It also has a great foot dome that you do not have to fight over. Hamstrings are much tougher to get a good massage on. Clearwater came the closest with their lounge but both myself and the wife were blown out of the seats/loungers when we tried for the high intensity massage.

With soccer and bike riding in my over 39  :) body the Pacific Calypso offered the best hydrotherapy. The foot dome is perfectly placed in the massage therapy seat so even the wife does not get blown out of the seat when we turn the controls to "puddle".

Good luck in your wet testing

BTW how did you get a thigh massage. Floating face down did not work out to well for some reason. :D

2007 Pacific Calypso

Jet Sitter

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 02:42:47 pm »
Calypso - Yes face down in the tub can be tricky, but with a snornkle its not a problem  ;).  So far, the best way for me to really do the legs was the vertical volcano on the D1 Amore Bay.  We're going back for another soak after they fill a Nautilus, which is smaller and better suited to us but still has the volcano.  Its a powerful jet in the center of the tub that I could extend my leg over and hit any spot on the calf, hammy or even thigh, if I wanted.  Not the type of thing I would do with four other people in the tub, but after a run, why not.

Your Pacific Calypso looks interesting.  What level did you buy?  I see that the Sport package adds 12 jets and a 4HP pump upgrade.  Do you have two 4hp pumps?  Do you have plenty of power?

Calypso

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 03:15:31 pm »
Your Pacific Calypso looks interesting.  What level did you buy?  I see that the Sport package adds 12 jets and a 4HP pump upgrade.  Do you have two 4hp pumps?  Do you have plenty of power?

We bought the floor model which came with everything including the stereo and system 3 purification. the Genesis system is great. We have two 2 speed 4 horsepower pumps. There is also a big volcano jet as part of the foot dome. I will have to try that on the quads and hams.  :o

There is lots of power and it is adjustable by toggle switch intead of dial which we think is better. If you want more you can turn off the jets to the 3 non prime seats and you now have puddle mode for the 3 main seats.

If you get a chance wet test it and you will at least add this tub to your short list
2007 Pacific Calypso

wewannahottub

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 08:35:19 am »
JS and Calypso--after hubby has seen the Pacific line (must have been you Calypso as waterboy on poolspaforum that he noticed that line) We were definately interested in the Endeavor, but our local (one and only) dealer has only one small tub and I don't want to sit in a tub I am not interested in buying.  I know that the Endeavor would have been on our short list, too if we could have seen the Endeavor and wet tested it.

So, looks like Arctic will be our choice-though hubby has yet to wet test the Tundra to see if he "fits"! :o

Wet test your arss off, Jet Sitter!! ;D ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 08:35:19 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42