What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: cover question  (Read 6525 times)

benalexe

cover question
« on: May 11, 2008, 12:10:58 am »
How often does a cover need replacing?

How do you know it is time to replace a cover?

What do they cost?

How can you prevent them from going bad?

Hot Tub Forum

cover question
« on: May 11, 2008, 12:10:58 am »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
Re: cover question
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 07:19:09 am »

With care and a well constructed cover, you should be able to get 4-5 years from a cover.

How do you know it is time to replace a cover?

If the cores get saturated with water, the cover will become NOTICEABLY heavier...with some, heavy enough to be difficult for one person to operate.  Also, the vinyl can dry out, crack, feel dry, look dry.  And, if using a cover lifter (highly recommended), the hinge will start to show signs of aging.

What do they cost?

Depends on size, features, etc.  Check here for some excellent information.

1.  Use a cover lifter.  This will facilitate handling and prevent one from having to drag the cover off.  The only negatives to a lifter would be for built in tubs that do not offer room to mount one and the added stress to the hinge.  The cover I just received from Doc has a double reinforced hinge to help prevent this.

2.  Use 303 Aerospace Protectant regularly on all sides of the cover...once a month is best but at least at every water change.

3.  Strap cover down when not in use to prevent wind damage.  

4.  Use supplemental straps for big weather (i.e., hurricanes or storms that can be anticipated.)

HTH-- 8-)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Neohcouple

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 06:35:21 pm »
My cover has lasted 3 years & it needs replaced already.    I have a 2005 Hot Springs Vanguard & it is definitely way too heavy right now.   I took care of it & use 303 on it at least once a month.  The outside vinyl portion of the cover is just fine.  The interior foam pieces are just water logged & too heavy.  I called my dealer & he expects to have a new one in about 3-4 weeks.   The replacement cost is $369 for a new HS cover.   Labor & delivery is extra.  

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 06:55:36 pm »

This truly depends on the quality of the cover. Some low end OEM covers will be lucky to last 2 years. A high quality cover can  last over 8 years (comparing an OEM cover to a quality cover, side by side, most would see no difference).

What do they cost?

Quality cover are available in the low to mid 300's... Poor quality covers are about the same  ;D maybe $10 to $20 cheaper

The #1 demise to covers is chemical off-gassing, from shocking the water, permeating into the cover, breaking down the poly wrap, and allowing water to then penetrate into the foam. Completely remove the cover from the spa when shocking for at least 20 minutes.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

benalexe

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 09:27:53 pm »
Do non-oem covers fit as good as ones directly from manufacturer?

Also mine has a key lock.  Do they all come that way?

Can anyone recommend a good non-oem manufacturer?

polar

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 11:50:47 am »
The vinyl of my spa cover is just in bad condition after 6 years. One side is heavily water logged.
Can I just replace the vinyl? I can't seem to find anywhere that just sells the vinyl.

I'm thinking about revamping my hot tub this spring (after it gets warm enough not to freeze), so I will turn it off for a bit.
I can dry out the inserts, but the vinyl definitely needs to be replaced. I don't see anybody who sells it without the inserts, in which
cost and shipping would be considerably less than a whole new cover.

Is there a professional reason for not selling just the vinyl? Such as, it's too hard to get the insert in, the insert foam is just not good anymore, etc?

Thanks,
-Polar

clover

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 12:54:26 pm »

Covers are made to the specifications given to the cover maker.  Most OEM hot tub manufacturers DO NOT make their own covers, but order them made to their specifications by the cover maker and delivered with the Hot Tub. 

Thus, COVERS are made to specifications regardless of who orders it.  Most all cover makers offer a menu of options.  Simple to say, the more upgrades to the cover, the better quality the cover is.  Upgrades are intended for a purpose to make better, while excluding them serves the purpose of a cheaper price.  Freight will be the same on either.

HOWEVER even the best quality cover can get waterlogged in short time IF you use the Hot Tub with only one side open, the other side will become waterlogged in short time.

All covers are "saftey covers" and come with locks that serve as a "deterent".

The price of covers would be considered by all to be expensive as they are typically over $300, but they are never made issue of during the Hot Tub sale until the time for replacement.  If you cut the options you can save $85 to $125, but it is likely you will replace that cover sooner than one that is made with the options included.

Freight is always a factor and could be as much as $125 to 145 of the cover cost, even the cheap covers, so freight will always be part of the cost that you can not modify unless you buy in multiples.

I would suggest always starting with your dealer on cover cost, and then become knowledgeable about the differences in what you need, and what he offers.

As for just getting the vinyl bag, or just the inserts, save your time, effort and money.  IF the difference is as little as a ¼" off, you can not close the zipper, or it will break.  You will still pay the same frieght bill for cover foam inserts only.  So, when you try to save a buck here or there, you usually end up shooting yourself in the foot.  It is not the better choice, but consider to be a less costly choice by some.

Best of luck, A GOOD COVER is worth all of the money you pay for it.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Jet Sitter

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 12:37:43 pm »

I have not needed a new cover but have read of many satisfied customers who have purchased covers from Dr Spa - rh tubs - do a search for Roberts Hot tubs or rh tubs.  He can explain your options and what makes sense for you.  That's where I will go when the time comes.

jmig

• caldera geneva utopia
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 07:07:16 pm »
 Has anybody ever ordered a replacement cover from Costco?
It seems like a good cover and with shipping included a real good price

Jet Sitter

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 07:39:08 pm »
Nice to have shipping included.  The specs don't say what density the foam is and a couple of reviews indicated that the purchaser wasn't expecting it to be so light.  Some expected better quality construction but others seemed happy.

I googelled the phone number & came up with CORE Covers.  I googled their address and came up with seven or eight businesses listing the same address which may or may not be a concern depending on the situation.  Makes you wonder if they would be around for the three year warranty but on the other hand Costoc buyers like to point out that they can alwasy taek anything back.

I guess the questions may be, "Is this a three year cover for $320 or will it last longer?  Would I be better off with a $400 cover that may insulate better and last 6-8 years?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 07:39:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42