What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Potential Hot Tubs for Our Family?  (Read 5510 times)

Jet Sitter

Potential Hot Tubs for Our Family?
« on: May 07, 2008, 12:38:34 pm »
Hi - We're starting to look for hot tubs and will be visiting delarers, doing research and wet testing, but I thought I'd see if any of you might suggest tubs that could be a good match for us.  Perhaps you will mention something that won't be in the showroom at the dealer, but I suppose a good dealer will fill us in on better choices for us.

Most of the time the tub will be used by my wife and me.  We don't currently have any specifc therapy needs, just want to relax and sooth bodies that are 50+ years old.  For the next few years the tub will also be used by our son and twin daughters but not as often after the girls graduate from high school in a few years.  Occassionaly another couple may join us for a visit but probably only a few times a year.  My wife and I will probably use the tub almost daily, year around (maybe that's what every first-time buyer thinks), hopefully for many years.

I don't really have an interest in waterfalls, stereos or fancy lights, especially if they add cost.  I am not really looking for a budget tub and am willing to look at the higher end of the line, but only if it is good relatively easy maintenance.

Hot Tub Forum

Potential Hot Tubs for Our Family?
« on: May 07, 2008, 12:38:34 pm »

Water Boy

Re: Potential Hot Tubs for Our Family?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 12:54:35 pm »
Hello Jet Sitter. Welcome to the forum. :)

I was going to respond to your other thread, and then I saw this one so I thought I would respond all in one. I suggest you take a serious look at Arctic Spas. There is a local dealer in the Seattle area. Here is the link to their website:
http://www.apollospas.com

Apollo spas is an award winning dealer for Arctic Spas, and they are very good people. I believe they have four different stores in or near the Seattle are for you to look at. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions in regards to the Arctic Spas.

Just to be fair, I also recommend you look at Jacuzzi, Marquis, Hot Spring and Dimension One spas as well, as these are all quality built spas. I am sure there are some others that I am forgetting, but this would be a good start. Good luck in your search for the perfect spa. ;)
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 01:08:20 pm »
lots to consider.

The one thing with Artic is they offer a nice wood cabinet. this is a plus for some folks  (the beatuy of the red wood), but also can be  a drawback (keeping the wood in good shape). I think nothing looks better than a nice furniture grade finish on a hot tub, and nothing looks worse than a wood hot tub that hasn't been taken care of.  Artic has a good reputation, and I would defnatly take a look at them.

Hot Springs (made by watkins)  is also another large name that has a good variety of hot tubs. They have several sister brands as well; Caldera, Tiger River and Limelight.  You would do well to visit a hotsprings dealer if for no other reason than to see what they offer. They are the big dog in the industry. (I have had 2 tubs by Watkins and they have been outstanding).

My advice is to wet test several different brands at differnt dealers, compare the seating and jetting and go for the tub that offers a good variety of seating/jets.  Avoid the steroes and don't upgrade any light packages, but do invest in a good cover lifter, and a stable set of stairs.  

things that might help you narrow the field might be your price range, as well as  your size (are you tall or short?)?  Do you have any space limitations on where the tub will be placed?  
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 02:16:16 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Summitman

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 01:19:07 pm »
lots to consider.

The one thing with Artic is they offer a nice wood cabinet. this is a plus for some folks  (the beatuy of the red wood), but also can be  a drawback (keeping the wood in good shape). I think nothing looks better than a nice furniture grade finish on a hot tub, and nothing looks worse than a wood hot tub that hasn't been taken care of.  Artic has a good reputation, and I would defnatly take a look at them.

Hot springs (made by watkins)  is also another large name that has a good variety of hot tubs. They have several sister brands as well; Caldera, Tiger river and Limelight.  You would do well to visit a hotsprings dealer if for no other reason thatn to see what they offer. They are the big dog in the industry. (I have had 2 tubs by Watkins and they have been outstanding).

My advice is to wet test several different brands at differnt dealers, compare the seating and jetting and go for the tub that offers a good variety of seating/jets.  Avoid the steroes and don't upgrade any light packages, but do invest in a good cover lifter, and a stable set of stairs.  

things that might help you narrow the field might be your price range, as well as  your size (are you tall or short?)?  Do you have any space limitations on where the tub will be placed?  

Just a little clarification on the Arctic cabinet.  

1.  Arctics come standard with a clear Canadian Cedar cabinet, not redwood.  The difference in that is that Cedar doesnt rot.  It does require a recoating of stain and seal once every three years to keep the cabinet fresh.  Their would be a huge difference in a cabinet made out of redwood and one that would be made out of cedar.

2.  Arctic actually offer a synthetic cabinet on the spas if that is what the customer would prefer.   It is offered in a few different colors.  

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 02:28:05 pm »

Just a little clarification on the Arctic cabinet.  

1.  Arctics come standard with a clear Canadian Cedar cabinet, not redwood.  The difference in that is that Cedar doesnt rot.

Cedar doesn't rot? Never? Never never?  (careful here, I go through over a half million board feet of cedar annually...and I'm talking about the highest grade of cedar available).
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Summitman

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 02:39:05 pm »

Cedar doesn't rot? Never? Never never?  (careful here, I go through over a half million board feet of cedar annually...and I'm talking about the highest grade of cedar available).

it has to be treated like I said.  Have you ever seen what they make totem poles out of?

I pulled this little excerpt from the website below.

http://www.wrcla.org/cedar_benefits/natural_characteristics.htm

"Western Red Cedar is one of the few wood species that are naturally at home in the outdoors. Properly finished, Western Red Cedar will last for decades, even in harsh environments. Its natural resistance to moisture, decay and insect damage make it the ideal choice for a surface that is exposed to sun, rain, heat and cold all year round. "

Summitman

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 02:46:28 pm »
Cedar is beautiful!!!  But it will rot in the Pac N,west takes while, but it will!  

just curious,

Why?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 02:50:35 pm »
Cedar is beautiful!!!  But it will rot in the Pac N,west takes while, but it will!  

There is a similar website for how great redwood is:

http://www.calredwood.org/about/about.htm

I've always liked the look of both Cedar and Redwood on new spas but after seeing spas that are 7, 10, 15 ... yrs old I know that their exteriory ages and not always very well. Proper care certainly helps preserve them but we all know that the vast majority of spa owners don't do this fully or at least the vast majority that I've seen. I personally prefer some of the better synthetics available today (some are crap though). In the end Arctic makes both available so I guess you can just choose whichever you prefer.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 03:01:06 pm »
So, back to the original question, check out Olympic Hot Tubs and AquaQuip, two of the leading dealers not just in the Seattle area, but in the country.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Summitman

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 03:02:04 pm »
So, back to the original question, check out Olympic Hot Tubs and AquaQuip, two of the leading dealers not just in the Seattle area, but in the country.

And Apollo Spas!

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 03:07:32 pm »
Hey I know when (and I mean when!) I order my Arctic I am going with the synthetic cabinet, not because of looks (though it matches my house) but I am not very good at upkeep and am afraid it will get ahead of me.  So, to each his own.

All the dealers on this forum will not lead you astray!!  My so far personal faves (but not in order) are Clearwater (which is in the Woodinville area!!  how convenient!!) Jacuzzi, and Arctic.  D1 Amore bay is very nice also, if you have a large family and want barrier free seating for the kiddies while ma and pa sit in the lounge seats (which are very nice, BTW, but the neck jets and water feature we had seen were sloppy)

Good luck---I am seeing the light at the end of my tunnel!!

WWHT
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 03:30:25 pm »
I would also check the Clearwaters out, they are made right there in Woodinville WA. They offer several different tubs in many price ranges. And as said, Artic is a very nice tub also. Its a combo of finding a tub and dealer that you like and trust. Service is a very important part of tub purchases.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 03:36:17 pm »
BINGO, HHT--That was the problem with our CLearwater dealer--we were interested in the Orlando.  Any and every time we had a question or situation, there were more excuses than answers.

Now, out Jacuzzi dealer is fabulous, and our Arctic dealer is WAY ABOVE the rest!!

Gonna get my deck ready for a hot tub!!!

CHrisi
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 04:09:25 pm »
I am sorry about Clearwater. Wish you were near here! We personally have an Orlando and untill last tuesday had one here at the store. Had to deliver it though, customer really wanted to use it!

I think I would send an email to Clearwater letting them know that you had poor customer service without an exsplantion to why. This way the dealer would be informed and maybe become better at customer service. I can not by any means have every  tub here, but would try to work something out for my customers (I luck out and the east coast warehouse is only an hour away)

Artic is the other line we seriously looked at to carry. They seem to be a great tub and the more I read, I like what i am "seeing" We do noy have many Artics in our area, no dealers around, so we don't get to see them very often.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 05:54:07 pm »
My wife and I are in our mid 50's and we have our married children drop by from time to time. For me I wanted waterfalls, lights, and stereo to add to the experience. After reading your criteria I would recommend a Jacuzzi 365 or Arctic Yukon without a stereo. Price will be under $8000.00. Just my 2 cents worth...

Scott  ;)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 05:54:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42