What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Smelly cover  (Read 2570 times)

buffip

Smelly cover
« on: May 07, 2008, 09:35:17 am »
Guys,
Have a HS Vanguard. Tub is 1 year old. H20 chemistry is good, water changed and filters cleaned last week because of a strange smell. Smell is strong(er) when cover first lifted. Also seems to be stronger in filter area. Underside of cover smell faintly as well. best I can describe smell is akin to a rubber children's pool float toy that has been in the sun... The Bride says the smell reminds her of a dryer sheet...Is not the normal ozanator smell, nor does the smell seem to come from the ozanator. Smell is also stronger in the bubbles on water surface as the jets run... Am starting to believe odor is from cover... any suggestions?
Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Smelly cover
« on: May 07, 2008, 09:35:17 am »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: Smelly cover
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 10:25:54 am »
I believe watercare may be to blame. Covers can absorb odors over time. Shocking weekly will remove odors. Completely remove cover when doing so. Wipe cover down with enzyme based product. How often are filters being cleaned? What is your weekly maintenance? What sanitizer are you using? How are you cleaning your filters?

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 10:49:13 am »
What is your water chemistry routine?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 03:21:59 pm »
Are you sure since it smells like hot plastic or hot dryer sheet you do not have wires or something getting hot under the cabinet? The smell would rise into your spa water, specially when you turn on air control valves. I would also check under the cabinet to make sure nothing is cooking since you are describing hot plastic smell.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

buffip

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 04:49:28 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  
Don't think it's water, but could be ... maybe...

Water care is Ozone + HS ion, coupled with Spa Shock every use (virtually every night)  Chlorine added twice a week, or after heavy use (4 adults)  Water changed minimum every 6 weeks.  (We use the tub a lot.  Neighbors use tub a lot with us  :D)  Water strip tested every couple days, and I do a complete test every 2 weeks or so...

Filters hosed out @ water change, and dishwasher cleaned every 3rd water change

Having said all that, I THINK I may have found the problem.  Unzipped the cover, and bottom of plastic wrapped insulate was slimy/moldey  took insulate out, and wiped down cover and insulate with bleach mixture.  

Have not heard of this problem before,  Is there anything that can be done preventitive?

Will report back tonight after tub reaches op temp, and see if smell returns...

buffip

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 04:59:16 pm »
Hillbilly,
My description is/was lacking.  Not a hot smell, just a kind of polymer smell.... (wish we had smell-o-vision)
??  mold possibly breaking down the cover/plastic wrap??
hopefully, I solved it this morning
Thanks for the reply

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 04:59:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42