What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Questions From an Eager Newbie  (Read 4768 times)

snoopydance

Questions From an Eager Newbie
« on: May 04, 2008, 11:31:02 pm »
Hi, everybody. I am researching my first hot tub purchase. This is a great site, with so much information, and I was hoping to get some guidance. I did similar research before buying my boat (now being sold to finance the hot tub   :)  Below are some of the criteria and questions I have:

I only have about $2,000 to spend and I'm planning to buy a used hot tub, either from craigslist or the local newspaper.
Q: I have been zeroing in on the Hot Springs Prodigy or Sovereign and on the Saratoga Spas Saranac or Adelphi. Opinions?? The Hot Springs seems to be well-loved by many and much-hated by others. The opinions on epinions are very negative. Saratoga Spas seem very, very nice. I don't want a huge tub.

I live in upstate New York. The local spa dealers are A-Frame Imperial and Islander.
Q: Does anyone have an opinion about either of these two dealers?

I know everyone here stresses the importance of wet-testing.
Q: If I'm buying used and the tub is empty...can I test similar models at the dealership and determine that way?

One of the hot tubs I'm interested in is about 75 miles away.
Q: How does one transport a hot tub?

This will be going on my back lawn. Eventually I plan to build a deck around it.
Q: Has anyone used a spa pad vs. pouring concrete?

I am worried about chemicals and maintenance. I've never had a pool or spa before.
Q: Are there any words of advice for a nervous newbie?

TIA for all the help.

Hot Tub Forum

Questions From an Eager Newbie
« on: May 04, 2008, 11:31:02 pm »

benalexe

Re: Questions From an Eager Newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 06:22:50 am »

This will be going on my back lawn. Eventually I plan to build a deck around it.
Q: Has anyone used a spa pad vs. pouring concrete?

I am kind of new to this too. There was a thread i started yesterday about the spa pad. I am personally going that route.  People here seem to not like that options very much but they say it will meet my needs. Not really sure why they do not like it.

By the way plan your budget. So far I have learned that the pad is about $300.  I went to Home Depot yesterday and purchased the wireing and break away box for another $300.  he transportation of the tub will cost me $600.

I am getting a thermospa and I called the manufacturer and they gave me the name of their mover.  You can also call any local moving company.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 08:12:11 am »
Hey snoop,

Good luck with the spa purchase. Going for a used spa can be a very good alternateive.  $2000 doesn't buy you much in the hot tub market, and if you are patient,  you may be able to find a good deal. However, you want to make sure you don't buy some one else's problems either.  Research, Ask questions, and don't go for flash. find a quality brand hot tub in good condition.

Patience.  Dilligence.  In this economy, I am sure there are deals to be had.

If I'm buying used and the tub is empty...

Idealy, when buying a used tub, buy on that is filled and running. This way you can enusre the pumps, heater and plumbing are in working condition, as well as wet test.  Also when looking at a used tub, look at the skirting, open up the equipment area, consider the lifter, the cover, the straps, the steps, All of it.  (also ask if the electrical box, and perhaps chems are included).

The Hot Springs seems to be well-loved by many and much-hated by others

Hated? Really? Hot springs is recognized as the industry leader and has a reputation for some of the best tubs out the market. this is backed up by almost a millon custonmers.  Are they the best? I dunno. But they are a decent brand and set the industry standard.  Anyone who "HATES" them probably has an agenda.  (it's kinda of like saying some one HATES toyota").  Anyhow, you'd could do far, far far worse than getting a used hotsprings.   I would recomend that you do wet test a hotsprings.  Thier moto massage is uquiqe. Some folks like em, some folks don't care for them.

I can't tell you much about A frame or Islander....sorry.  Google and the BBB may be able to help.

Teh chems are easy.  Most folks use either a dichlor or Bromine based system and it's pretty straight forward. There are many topics here on chemicals to help you. but the message right now, "don't worry. It's not difficult to maintian a hot tub. Really"  :)

07 Caldera Geneva

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 03:12:55 pm »
Check with your lacal dealers to see if they sell used/reconditioned spas, that way you know it has been gone through, you established a relationship with the dealer who will be of further assistance to you with parts or water chemistry. We take used tubs in and if they are any good, recondition the and sell them. I beleive customer service is very important when purchasing a spa, specially if you are new to spas, thats where buying from a dealer has advantages. I agree with drewster, if buying from Craigs list, make sure the spa is up and running. it could look like new, but have a bad control system or pump which are costly to replace.

Depending on how the spa was constructed and with what materials plays a big role in what you can place them on.

Transporting them is not bad. You will need help and they will travel on a snowmobile trailer, just remember that just because they are big, you still need to treat them gently, and don't pull straps tight over the cover. Place it in back of a pick up or something. Wrentching the staps to hold the tub and cover on the trailer damages the cover, another costly item to replace.

Some of the oldest tubs we have seen in the field have been...Hot Springs, older model jacuzzis, Sundance, Clearwater and older model Waters Edge. Those are ones in this area that seem to be solid tubs. Other areas of the country you will see others. Artic seems to be a good solid tub/company also, but we have none around here that we have personally seen.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

In Canada eh

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 05:05:10 pm »

I went to Home Depot yesterday and purchased the wireing and break away box for another $300.  he transportation of the tub will cost me $600.

Break away box?????  You do know you will need a GFCI breaker of some type whether at the tub or in your panel.  Maybe that's what you meant by "break away box", if so I'm sorry, I've just never heard it called that.
Bullfrog 451

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 09:33:08 pm »
Welcome Snoop.
Not sure if this is close you (Syracuse/Liverpool, New York?)
Maybe check this one out
If like...offer this guy 2 grand
he keeps listing it on CraigsList
which means he is an eager seller
one of the best brands

Hot springs hot tub for sale
seats 5, has 16 jets,
MUST SELL ASAP we are moving and unable to bring with us.
Includes cover, set of stairs and any remaining chemicals.
A great deal for only $2600.00 which is neg.

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/for/660506397.html
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 09:35:03 pm by Zep »

snoopydance

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 11:19:10 pm »
Wow. Thanks, everybody. I feel more informed already! I spent a couple of hours getting the boat cleaned up in preparation for selling it this weekend, hopefully. The proceeds will fund my tub purchase.

The Syracuse/Liverpool area is about 2 hours from me. That looks like a Hot Springs Prodigy. I think there's a 4-year old one right near me that they're asking $2,000 for. I'm going to look into that. As someone said, in this market, it shouldn't be too hard to find a decent tub at a decent price.

I am planning to go to the local distributor and look at the Saratoga Spas hot tubs. I will ask about used/reconditioned. That's a great idea. I will also go to the Hot Springs showroom and look at those. I think if I sit in them dry I might rule something out.

I am leaning towards buying a spa pad, since I may want to relocate the tub down the road a bit and I don't want to deal with cement at this time.

Keep those helpful suggestions coming!

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 11:29:49 pm »
Why don't you ask the Craiglist guy if he would be interested in a swap (hot tub for boat).  You can trailer a boat but can't do that (easily) with a hot tub...

What kind of boat are you selling?  I have a 1985 Cobia with a 115outboard I am thinking of selling for around $3K.  The only reason I think it is worth that is because it "looks" nearly brand new even though it is 23 years old...WOW, I didn't even realize it was THAT old until just now.  Maybe it's only worth $2K as well?  Hmm,  maybe I'll just keep it until I can trade it in on a boat like I use to own...
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

snoopydance

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 08:48:50 am »
My boat is a 1995 Wellcraft Excel, 3.0 L, 135 HP, cuddy with an I/O, Merc/Alpha One. It's in very nice shape but could use a really good tune-up. I checked the NADA for pricing. They offer "Average" and "Low," the Low referring to a boat that may or may not run, and which needs some minor mechanical and/or cosmetic work. The low for mine is $4400. I'm asking $3950 and would be happy with $3500. What's nice about my boat is that it's very good on gas and because it's easily towed, you can fill up at the corner station, saving MUCH money over buying gas on the water.

We have a Village-wide garage sale this Saturday so I'm spending my evenings getting her gussied-up and I'll put her on the street for everyone to see.

Wish me luck...the sooner she sells, the sooner I soak!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 08:48:50 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42