What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Skin smells after getting out of spa using Dichlor  (Read 9668 times)

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Skin smells after getting out of spa using Dichlor
« on: April 28, 2008, 03:57:24 pm »
I have a Sundance spa, and I use Dichlor at about 1 tablespoon after every use or every other day when not using the tub.  I shock once a week with 2 ounces of MPS.  I have noticed that when I get out of the hottub my skin has a weird smell to it... sort of like a bodyoder smell (and it's not me because I shower before getting in and I don't smell).  So my water has this weird smell to it, but I keep my chlorine levels up around 3-5ppm and my water is balanced.  I have also been getting black spots on the inside of my cover, so I have to wipe down the inside of the cover with diluted bleach every couple of weeks.

anybody know why my water could be smelling and making my skin smell like this?  after a fresh water change when I get out of the spa my skin doesn't smell at all..  and I know regular chlorine shouldn't make your skin smell.

Hot Tub Forum

Skin smells after getting out of spa using Dichlor
« on: April 28, 2008, 03:57:24 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Skin smells after getting out of spa using Dic
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 05:05:10 pm »
Black spots on the cover may be mold.

If the smell smells like chlorine you have very high combined chlorine and your using MPS isn't cutting the chlorine compound. If it is BO smell it too may be mold.

How old is your water?

What you may need to do is shock the tub with 10+ PPM chlorine dip a rag into the water and wipe down the entire surface along with under pillows or any place above the water line.

Do you have any areas of the tub closed off (sections of jets either by diverter valves or turning off jets)? If yes that could be your problem.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 05:07:40 pm »
I have a Sundance spa, and I use Dichlor at about 1 tablespoon after every use or every other day when not using the tub.  I shock once a week with 2 ounces of MPS.  I have noticed that when I get out of the hottub my skin has a weird smell to it... sort of like a bodyoder smell (and it's not me because I shower before getting in and I don't smell).  So my water has this weird smell to it, but I keep my chlorine levels up around 3-5ppm and my water is balanced.  I have also been getting black spots on the inside of my cover, so I have to wipe down the inside of the cover with diluted bleach every couple of weeks.

anybody know why my water could be smelling and making my skin smell like this?  after a fresh water change when I get out of the spa my skin doesn't smell at all..  and I know regular chlorine shouldn't make your skin smell.

Squale, your situation is beginning to concern me.  I'm no chem expert, but you should not be having so many problems with a new tub.  

You have told us that you add dichlor after each soak.  And you shock with MPS weekly.  I also note in one of your other posts, you are having problems keeping any kind of residual chlorine reading in your tub 24 hours later.  Yet your skin smells like chlorine after a soak.  

If there is no chlorine in the tub when you get in, IMHO, I can't see how it's the chlorine/dichlor that your smelling.  It has to be something else that is giving off the odor.  

Since you are also having problems with mildew spots on the underside of your lid, maybe, at this point it would be a good idea to have your water tested by a professional.  The combination of quickly dropping chlorine levels, mildew on the lid and funny odors from the water, something is just not right.

Last thought:  Forgive me if you have already told us, but are you sure that your pH and alk are within range?  I understand that they can affect the efficiency of the chlorine if they are way off.

Rich
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 10:44:02 pm »
If I remember correctly, Squale's tub is inside of his garage. I wonder if that might contribute to any of the problems that he is experiencing.. Not sure why, but just a thought.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Lars

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 11:06:47 am »
Actually, this is what squale said in another post.

I use Dichlor once a day or every other day, about 2 teaspoons at a time, after I get out of the hottub and then if I don't go in the hottub for a couple days I will put it in like every other day.  I shock with MPS once a week.

Needs to add chlorine every day, not every other day.  Sounds like his sanitize got low and the tub got away from him.

Superchlorinate and wipe everything down, above and below the water line.

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 11:25:06 am »
what happens if your TDS gets too high?

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 11:32:44 am »
what happens if your TDS gets too high?

• chlorine becomes less effective
  • difficulty in balancing
  • possible foaming
  • cloudy water
  • odors
  • throwing good money after bad once 1500ppm TDS has been reached
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 11:33:16 am by Steve »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 11:32:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42