What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water in "flap" of spa cover?  (Read 7496 times)

SpaNE

Water in "flap" of spa cover?
« on: April 23, 2008, 11:19:58 pm »
I recently discovered I have water in the "flap" of my spa cover.  The flap is the 6" of material that overlaps the top edge of the spa.  I have no idea how water got in there our how to get it out.  There is no water under the top of the cover.

I have a Jacuzzi J-345 that is a year old this month.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Hot Tub Forum

Water in "flap" of spa cover?
« on: April 23, 2008, 11:19:58 pm »

SpaNE

Re: Water in "flap" of spa cover?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 09:57:34 am »
Do any of the Jacuzzi dealers know what the problem/solution may be?

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 01:33:07 pm »
I have the same problem with my Marquis.  Water leaks in when it rains alot and then slowly leaks out. Its been going on for 5 years now.  Both my dealer and Marquis had never heard of the problem before.  I guess as its been going on for 5 years  its OK  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 02:24:27 pm »
If I understand the situation correctly, would some strategically placed  slices in the flap allow the water to drain out? (or woudl that cause more problems?).

water is entering the cover  - either rain, (which would mean a hole in the vinyl on the top side) or perhaps steam from the underside getting into the inner cover, and then condensing and trying to drain off, and getting trapped in the "flaps"?

07 Caldera Geneva

SpaNE

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 04:56:29 pm »
I have the same problem with my Marquis.  Water leaks in when it rains alot and then slowly leaks out. Its been going on for 5 years now.  Both my dealer and Marquis had never heard of the problem before.  I guess as its been going on for 5 years  its OK  

Does your water collect in the flaps like mine?  

I have a message into the dealer - but they haven't got back to me yet.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 05:36:05 pm »
Not a common problem, but it does happen. The flap consists of a single piece of vinyl, folded in half, and sewn into the cover. There's no place for any water that might get in there to escape. What I would do, is on the VERY bottom edge of the flap, right on the fold, with a VERY sharp razor blade, make about a 1/4" slit every 2 feet or so.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 03:54:01 pm »
I hold that half of the cover perpendicular to the ground and it drains out of the corner.

mcrofutt

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 04:11:01 pm »
I stuck a little straw in the bottom corner between the stitches, allowing the water to drain out of its own accord.

Tom

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 06:32:08 pm »
I recently discovered I have water in the "flap" of my spa cover.  The flap is the 6" of material that overlaps the top edge of the spa.  I have no idea how water got in there our how to get it out.  There is no water under the top of the cover.
Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Our R&D guys suggest taking a one-hole punch and punching a hole through both pieces of vinyl right above the seam (our flaps have a sewn seam at the bottom).

In view of all the solutions, this must be a more common issue than any of us realized.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 06:33:37 pm by Graybeard »

nhskier

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 08:27:51 pm »
I've had the same problem with my Beachcomber.  The cover was replaced under  warranty after I reported it to the dealer, but I still had a similar problem.  I made a few small triangular cuts into the bottom edge of the flap which allows the water to drain out and that's worked out fine.

NHskier

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 08:27:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42