What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HotSpring vs Beachcomber  (Read 4924 times)

rolney

HotSpring vs Beachcomber
« on: April 20, 2008, 02:08:25 am »
Hello Everyone!

I'm an American living in the UK and really miss having a hot tub.  So, we've been saving our pennies (pence, actually) and are close to making a decision.

I have owned a HotSpring Sovereign (1996 - 2001) and thoroughly enjoyed it.  However, I am unsure of any technology changes since this time.

We have narrowed our choices down to the following:

HotSpring Sovereign
Beachcomber 350
Beachcomber 720X

We would like to hear opinions from folks who have considered any of these models, any comparisons you've made, etc.  I've done a search on this forum for such postings, but have come up empty.

Any, and all assistance will be greatly appreciated....  any my weary bones will thank you later once we're enjoying our new hot tub (which ever one we choose).

TIA,

Richard

Hot Tub Forum

HotSpring vs Beachcomber
« on: April 20, 2008, 02:08:25 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: HotSpring vs Beachcomber
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 08:42:23 am »
I have toured several of the HotSpring stores there in the UK, and have met the dealer and his team. They truly seemed to have it all together.

HotSpring is the larger of the two companies, by far. Both have good features and benefits, and should give you years of hot water bliss.

I sell HS, so I have my bias, but I don't think you could go wrong with either.

One thing - Beachcomber does make the spa with the equipment tucked under the side of the spa, and that doesn't really make a big difference in 'all four walls' being insulated. The walls around the equipment still gets insulated in other spas AND Beachcomber, and the equipment creates heat anyway. So - if you can - try to get your dealer to set you up with a self-contained tub, not the Pro-Tech variety. They are loath to do so, mainly because the Pro-Tech sets them apart from other brands, but you pay more for shipping, it takes up room in your garden, the motors are out and a bit noisier, and there is no real benefit. Some dealers do it only one way, some will allow you to choose. Your distance from the Canadian plant may make this decision for you, but I thought I would mention it.

8-)

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Spiderman

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 10:36:57 am »
The new '08 Sovereign has a dual moto massage in the lounger now, compared to the single you've had.  The new circ pump uses around 28 watts compared to around 68 watts in pre '08 models.  HS has also added lighting behind the spa pillows and the new Sovereign now has a stereo option.  

The photon torpedoes and transporter isn't quite ready yet...... ;D
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

In_Too_Long

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 03:04:08 pm »
I have sold both and been in both factories.

I have found the Beachcomber was much more comfortable.
and when you are buying a tub to enjoy, your comfort is important.

BubbaGump

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 03:37:15 pm »
Hello Everyone!
I'm an American living in the UK and really miss having a hot tub.  So, we've been saving our pennies (pence, actually) and are close to making a decision.

I have owned a HotSpring Sovereign (1996 - 2001) and thoroughly enjoyed it.  However, I am unsure of any technology changes since this time.

We have narrowed our choices down to the following:

HotSpring Sovereign
Beachcomber 350
Beachcomber 720X

We would like to hear opinions from folks who have considered any of these models, any comparisons you've made, etc.  I've done a search on this forum for such postings, but have come up empty.

Any, and all assistance will be greatly appreciated....  any my weary bones will thank you later once we're enjoying our new hot tub (which ever one we choose).

TIA,

Richard

We are looking as well, in the States, and we eliminated the Beachcomber as an option.  Probably part of the dealers fault, but we felt it was just not among the top tier of companies out there.  Just my opinoin...

Tailhooker

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 05:00:01 pm »
I would have to vote HS in this case from what I have seen so far.  Beachcomber doesn't normally get put on the top tier like HS, Sundance, Jacuzzi, Arctic, D1, Marquis...etc. (not trying to leave anyone out here).  Just my 2 cents!

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 11:33:56 pm »
The new '08 Sovereign has a dual moto massage in the lounger now, compared to the single you've had.  The new circ pump uses around 28 watts compared to around 68 watts in pre '08 models.  HS has also added lighting behind the spa pillows and the new Sovereign now has a stereo option.  

The photon torpedoes and transporter isn't quite ready yet...... ;D

Does the new circ pump perform the same as the old 68 watt version? Sounds like a good idea to minimize electrical costs. Can the new units be retrofitted to the pre 08 spas?

« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 11:34:59 pm by Gomboman »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 11:45:36 pm »

Does the new circ pump perform the same as the old 68 watt version? Sounds like a good idea to minimize electrical costs. Can the new units be retrofitted to the pre 08 spas?

Yes and yes.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 01:09:28 am »
To expand on Dan's succinct answer, the new pump is an improved design. We saw it at the dealer meeting just past. They had it hooked up on a display with the old style pump. The display was set up to pump water - and it was equipped with a flow meter and an ammeter.

I saw with my own eyes that the new pump moved the same amount of water while consuming less power. Also, the pump has an open-face impeller. Less chance of it getting plugged or catching something and going out of balance.

I have noticed that they do make just a slight bit more noise than the old design - you could only tell if you have either heard them side by side, or been around the old design for many many years...

8-)

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 08:33:47 pm »
Chas, do the new style have the same P/N as the old?  I need to put a new circ pump in my 98 Bengal but we have some of the old style in stock.  I did notice the new style in the Limelight- do they retrofit to older spas?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 09:01:32 pm »
New part number - to confuse the innocent.

They will retrofit to all old spas, however they are just a tiny bit smaller so you may have to stretch the tubing a bit. If you can't pull it to reach, a length of 3/4" ID vinyl tubing is cheap and readily available.

8-)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 09:53:39 pm »
Beachcomber is another brand not near me, but if I get back in the market, that Soverign might be my first wet test.   There is a new Coleman dealer here I haven't checked yet. How did I get so busy?  I need a vacation.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 12:48:53 am »
Three days - at the time of this posting.

Go Bill!!!

8-)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 12:48:53 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42