What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Auto fresh or similar auto chem systems  (Read 5644 times)

Tailhooker

Auto fresh or similar auto chem systems
« on: April 19, 2008, 01:52:04 pm »
How many brands out there have an auto dispense system?  Is that a standard system with HS or how much does it go for?  Anyone out there got one for any brand of spa...is it worth the money?  

Hot Tub Forum

Auto fresh or similar auto chem systems
« on: April 19, 2008, 01:52:04 pm »

Vanguard

Re: Auto fresh or similar auto chem systems
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 01:58:59 pm »
The Auto Fresh is an after-market add-on.  The start up cost is about $1,000.  Then, every 3-4 months, you have to replace the chemical cartridge at a cost of about $100 a pop.

I would never spend that kind of money on a system like that.  First, I don't like Baqua Spa.  Second, I can handle the chems on my own for a fraction of the cost.

From what I hear, Hot Spring is winding the Auto Fresh down.  It was a dismal failure in understanding the consumer.  They thought consumers would want something to take care of chemicals for them.  Not a bad idea.  They just over shot the price by at least double.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 04:48:21 pm by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 02:08:16 pm »
 We messed with this system when we first got into spa's, worked ok but most didn't want to pony up for the price.

http://www.hottubessentials.com/genesis-bromine-generator.asp

You can use this system and still have problems, nothing automatic is fool proof!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 02:38:58 pm »
We have about a dozen people using AutoFresh.  Once they go through the learning curve, it is an easy system.  Not totally automatic, but almost.

Vanguard is correct that it is pricey.  People buy it not to save money, but to have a system where they are physically adding less stuff.  

I have not heard HS is winding it down.  At the dealer conference they were certainly still encouraging it.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 02:40:33 pm »
I love Auto Fresh.  I'm not a fan of Baqua either, but Auto Fresh takes the problems we've had with Baqua out of the equation.  I've sold about a half dozen in the past year, and all the customers love them.

If I had a newer spa I'd put one on at home.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 04:52:26 pm »
I love Auto Fresh.  I'm not a fan of Baqua either, but Auto Fresh takes the problems we've had with Baqua out of the equation.  I've sold about a half dozen in the past year, and all the customers love them.

If I had a newer spa I'd put one on at home.

From what I've seen, the biggest problem with Banqua and other biguanides is water mold after approx three years of use.  My dealer, who happens to sell HS, doesn't recommend biguanides anymore except to those who have reactions to bromine or chlorine for this reason.  How does the Auto Fresh system handle this problem?

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 04:59:13 pm »

From what I've seen, the biggest problem with Banqua and other biguanides is water mold after approx three years of use.  My dealer, who happens to sell HS, doesn't recommend biguanides anymore except to those who have reactions to bromine or chlorine for this reason.  How does the Auto Fresh system handle this problem?

A.  It hasn't been out that long.
B.  I have seen water mold issues with all systems if sanitizers get low and/or shocking is not done properly.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 06:04:21 pm »

A.  It hasn't been out that long.
B.  I have seen water mold issues with all systems if sanitizers get low and/or shocking is not done properly.

Yes, but the issues with biguanides have been very well documented this cannot be ignored.  Biguanide problems with water mold have nothing to do with sanitizer level being low or not shocking correctly.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 06:19:58 pm »
Wow, over $100 a month.

The cartridge is $100 and lasts 2-4 months depending on the size of the spa and frequency of use.  That figures out to $25-50/month.

Term
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Tailhooker

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 08:31:29 pm »

The cartridge is $100 and lasts 2-4 months depending on the size of the spa and frequency of use.  That figures out to $25-50/month.

Term
Does any other spa company have something similar or is Hot Spring the only one?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 09:37:32 pm »

From what I've seen, the biggest problem with Banqua and other biguanides is water mold after approx three years of use.... How does the Auto Fresh system handle this problem?

If you start having water mold, you simply shut off the system and shock the life out of it with Chlorine. Clean the filters for a few days, and then do a water change. Once you have allowed the chlorine to zero out again, which could take a few days even after a water change, you start up the AutoFresh and life goes on for another three or four years.

If you want to go overboard, you could use a pipe cleaning solution like:

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 10:48:19 am »

Yes, but the issues with biguanides have been very well documented this cannot be ignored.  Biguanide problems with water mold have nothing to do with sanitizer level being low or not shocking correctly.

Where is the documentation?  I am aware documentation with pool products, not spa.  Help me out here.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 01:11:12 pm »

Where is the documentation?  I am aware documentation with pool products, not spa.  Help me out here.

Just do a Google search and you’ll find all the reading you want.  Here are a few excerpts:

Biguanides have the disadvantage of developing biguanide resistant micro organisms after a few years of usage.  Biguanides or PHMB are effective bactericides but cannot destroy organic contaminates (unlike chlorine/bromine) thus the need for regular shock doses of hydrogen peroxide.  White water mold is actually a fungus which contains an enzyme that rapidly eliminates hydrogen peroxide from water.  White water mold does not need sunlight to survive and thrives quite nicely in a hot tubs pipes and tubing.  The best way to eliminate white water mold is a strong chlorine shock which will eliminate any biguanide and cloud the water for a few days.  Future outbreaks are highly likely and ultimately a switch to a halogen based sanitizer may be needed.

Not that long ago, almost tub owner I know was using Baqua, Soft Soak or Free.  Today, I don’t know anyone still using.  I have also personally seen the issue with pool users.  Even reading the forums, one can see that biguanide use is diminishing.  For some, I believe that biguanides are the best solution, but it certainly seems that they are not as mainstream as they once were.

MarKee

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 04:45:05 pm »
Marquis offers a system called ConstantClean which is an automatic cartridge system that disperses minerals and bromine.  It has been out for 3 or 4 years now and has been a huge success.  

Caldera just added a similar system to their spas this year that uses the same cartridges, but it is engineered differently.

Merlin

• Just here to help.
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 05:20:20 pm »
I havent seen the other companies Auto dosing systems but, as much as i love HS our experience in our store with the Auto Fresh wasn't a good one. I feel that it was the choice of BaquaSpa as the chemical and not another.

However the Calderas also use the Spa Frog system and that has been a great selling point and easy feature to use for our customers.  :)
Knowledgeable, Friendly, Helpful and Award Winning Hotspring & Caldera Dealer in Southern California

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 05:20:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42