What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water Chemistry  (Read 2234 times)

SpaNub

Water Chemistry
« on: April 16, 2008, 07:31:29 pm »
Ok, I understand that water chem will differ everywhere depneding on what we start with as a control water source...

Now, since we have that out of the way, can y'all give me a better understanding of water chemistry, point me to a site, book, or source that I can read and gather all that I need from it at all times?  

I have a general understanding of chemistry so the explaination doesn't have to be dumbed down.  

Hot Tub Forum

Water Chemistry
« on: April 16, 2008, 07:31:29 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Water Chemistry
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 08:29:06 pm »
The best book is probably the book in the Taylor K-2005 kit. You can get the kit or just the book at rhtubs.com.

BAsically you want to get your PH in the 7.2 to 7.8 range, alkalinity in the 80 to 120 range and calcium in the 150 to 200 range. If PH or alkalinity is above that - add ph down (an acid) if they are low add baking soda. If one is high and the other is low, adjust for alkalinity then PH. If you got hard water you need a chemical to stop scaling.

If you use chlorine you dose to get 3 PPM 20 minutes after dosing. If you use bromine you need a constant 3 to 5 PPM at all times. If you use chlorine you need to dose every other day or so or if you use the tub daily - before or after you use the tub.

Hope this helps.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 08:47:14 pm »
Where do you get your chemicals from? Go to a local dealer and sit down with them for 20 minutes... :-/

SpaNub

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 09:15:28 pm »
Thank you for the replies... both are so common sense that I'm not sure why they didn't occur to me.  I suppose I was looking for a harder answer than what was before me.  

Thank you again.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 09:58:07 pm »
Thank you for the replies... both are so common sense that I'm not sure why they didn't occur to me.  I suppose I was looking for a harder answer than what was before me.  

Thank you again.

I love your honesty and got a good laugh from your response.  ;)

Any dealer would be willing to spend the time with you regardless of whether or not you purchased the tub from them. At least you could be a chemical customer right? Most will set you up on a program and offer free water analysis that I would suggest you take in monthly. Get on a simple, weekly maintenance program and check back with us anytime if you have questions.

Cheers,
Steve

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 09:58:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42