What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Annoying issue with Sundance Optima  (Read 15264 times)

BigK75

Annoying issue with Sundance Optima
« on: January 04, 2007, 11:38:45 pm »
Hey Guys:

I had a quick question about for Sundance Optima owners.  I have a new Optima that I bought a couple of weeks ago.  I have noticed that pump 1 is completely silent.  When I turn on pump 2 and turn dirveter (seen as A in picture) on neutral (halfway) I notice that I get a lot of sound behind the shell (seen as C in the picture).  I must then turn on air valve (B in picture) and the sound seems to subside or turn the dirverter completely torward the seat with the 4 large jets.  Does anyone know what maybe causing this.  Its pretty annoying and so I do not like to turn on pump 2 because of this.

Claude

Hot Tub Forum

Annoying issue with Sundance Optima
« on: January 04, 2007, 11:38:45 pm »

alwaysperky

• Hail the flashlight king!
Re: Annoying issue with Sundance Optima
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 11:52:59 pm »
Hello Claude,

My 2005 does that too.  I understand that Sundance has had a history with noisy diverters.  In my case, I'd have to double check, but I'm thinking the noise also subsides if I turn the waterfall on.

Good Luck!

AP.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 07:50:25 am »
They were supposed to have quieted down the noisy diverter valves in the newer models.  My Optima is a 2003- I think the re-designed valves were introduced in the 2004 models, or possibly the 05's- don't remember for sure.
  Have you asked your dealer about this?  Or at least gone into their showroom and run an Optima to see if their display model is quiet?  
 Might be something that can be fixed, might be something you have to live with.
 I put caulking on the back side of the diverter knobs on my Optima, it quieted the noise down a little bit.  

Brewman

BigK75

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 07:56:31 am »
But that's the weird part the noise is not coming from the diverter valve, it is coming from behind the shell where there are no diverter valves.  As you can see in area A, those are controls for the waterfall and air valve for pump one.  I might have the dealer come out and take a look at it.

Claude
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 08:06:45 am by BigK75 »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 08:33:15 am »
Be interesting to hear what you find out.  
Brewman

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 10:02:53 am »
Mine is noisy too.  First, what you're referring to is actually pump #1.  The problem is with the plumbing to the big whirlpool jet to the lower left of the waterfall.  The rushing water behind there makes a fairly astonishing amount of noise, although it does improve noticeably if you turn on the air injection for the whirlpool jets.  If I didn't completely loathe my dealer I'd call them about it, or go see the floor model to see if it does it too...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 10:03:38 am by pg_rider »
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

RUBADUBDUB

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 11:53:35 am »

Well said, Thank you!  

That jet has an 90 degree elbow on the back of it, when you have the diverter turn 100% to the whirlpool you have 160 gpm into the back of the jet doing a 90 degree turn. Unfortunately every Optima I have ever heard running Does this, call it a design flaw or whatever it may be....The MAXXUS seems to do the same thing as well.  :-[ If it is of great concern please feel free to call the dealer Claude. Thanks again!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 11:56:52 am by Rubadubdub »

BigK75

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 11:57:16 am »
Hey PG_Rider.  I should have not said pump 1.  It is the pump that controls three of the four seats plus both whirlpool jets (left of the waterfall and centre foot jet).  I am talking about the same noise your talking about.  The plumbing to the whirlpool jet to the lower let of the waterfall.  I hear water rushing behind there.  Its very loud and annoying.  Like you mentioned it does improve noticeably if you turn on the air injection for the whirlpool jets.  I am going to go to my dealer to ask about it.  They do not have the a floor model anymore because I bought it :)

RubaDub: If you have the Optima in the store can you check this?  I was going to give John a call and see if he could come out and take a look.  

Claude

RUBADUBDUB

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 12:08:23 pm »
Give John a call. I don't have one here to check but when I had one it was noisy as well. Better safe than sorry, give the store a call, John is usually there. Thanks again!

Rob.

patty

• 2006 Sundance Optima
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 02:26:31 am »
Mine is noisy as well.  I remember reading something on this forum about turning the diverter slowly but that didn't help. It's annoying but I've learned to live with it.  In general I find the noise level when the upper jets on (pump 1) to be too loud for normal conversation.  Noise level with foot jets is somewhat better.  Curious to see what you find out.

On the subj of new Optimas and annoying issues  :-/:  I have a FOAM problem. It's white and bubbly.. not slimy or gross.. looks just like a bubble bath.  This is my second fill.  On initial fill I attributed foam to my daughters friend wearing a tshirt in the tub.  It just got worse and worse.   Dosed with foam reduction chems which killed foam for 5-10 mins but w/ jets on it came back again.   Tried scooping out foam... extra MPS.. nothing worked.    Washed all suits.. triple rinsed... We have a "no hair in water" rule.   Water perfect on second fill for about a week or so.. then foam gradually came back.  Now its just as bad as first time. It is unbelievably annoying!  

Anyone else have this problem?  My brother in law bought an Optima a month or two before us.  He also has a foam problem.  He thought it was his well water and/or bromine.  Brother in law's installer guy said they clean tubs at factory after water testing... and that there is residual detergent in plumbing.  My brother in law also said the manual talks about foam.. I don't remember seeing it.. maybe I missed it.   He on his third fill and said he's noticed the foam getting better with each fill.  Just wondering if any other recent Optima purchasers are having this problem...   If so, what are you doing to eliminate foam?  ANd have you seen it reduce with each fill?   I thought of trying enzymes (thinking foam caused by lotions, anti-persperants etc) ... Help!!!

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 02:45:43 am »

On the subj of new Optimas and annoying issues  :-/:  I have a FOAM problem. It's white and bubbly.. not slimy or gross.. looks just like a bubble bath.  This is my second fill.  On initial fill I attributed foam to my daughters friend wearing a tshirt in the tub.  It just got worse and worse.   Dosed with foam reduction chems which killed foam for 5-10 mins but w/ jets on it came back again.   Tried scooping out foam... extra MPS.. nothing worked.    Washed all suits.. triple rinsed... We have a "no hair in water" rule.   Water perfect on second fill for about a week or so.. then foam gradually came back.  Now its just as bad as first time. It is unbelievably annoying!  

Sounds like a filtering issue to me. You might want to soak your filters in a cleaning solution to break up all the oils and such. It's almost impossible to get them out with just a high pressure rinse esp. if you haven't soaked them before. It' amazing how much clean filters help with water clarity. :)
  I thought of trying enzymes
That is also a great idea but I would still soak the filters, since your foam keeps reoccuring. This tells me that something is caught in your filters and needs to be destroyed.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 02:48:11 am by WHY_NOT »

patty

• 2006 Sundance Optima
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 03:35:59 am »
we have the microclean 2 type filters.  in theory you don't have to clean or soak.  i did rinse and clean the exterior of the fitler and between the pleats when i changed out the water (few hairs and a lot of lint type stuff).  all the "nasty" stuff is trapped inside the filter.   i suppose i could try soaking the filter but we were told with microclean 2 we don't need to do that.   what kind of chems should i use to soak the filter?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 03:37:24 am by patty »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 03:52:11 am »
I'm not familar with those filters as I use regular pleated ones. Sorry :(.....we'll have to wait for someone else that's a little more familar to chime in. I'd hate to suggest doing the wrong thing.  

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 10:40:37 am »
Mine is noisy as well.  I remember reading something on this forum about turning the diverter slowly but that didn't help. It's annoying but I've learned to live with it.  In general I find the noise level when the upper jets on (pump 1) to be too loud for normal conversation.  Noise level with foot jets is somewhat better.  Curious to see what you find out.

Anyone else have this problem?  My brother in law bought an Optima a month or two before us.  He also has a foam problem.  He thought it was his well water and/or bromine.  Brother in law's installer guy said they clean tubs at factory after water testing... and that there is residual detergent in plumbing.  My brother in law also said the manual talks about foam.. I don't remember seeing it.. maybe I missed it.   He on his third fill and said he's noticed the foam getting better with each fill.  Just wondering if any other recent Optima purchasers are having this problem...   If so, what are you doing to eliminate foam?  ANd have you seen it reduce with each fill?   I thought of trying enzymes (thinking foam caused by lotions, anti-persperants etc) ... Help!!!

Do you have soft water?

patty

• 2006 Sundance Optima
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 11:26:39 am »
No, it's public water...not soft at all.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 11:26:39 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42